pseudamona questions

kaylasdad

Kayla cultured positive for pseudamonas, What does that mean? How did she get it? Are we doing something wrong? And is she going to start having problems with it now?
They said her lungs sound good. She has been in hospital , could she have got it from there?
Sorry so many questions just freaking a little. Thanks in advance.

kaylasdad

Kayla cultured positive for pseudamonas, What does that mean? How did she get it? Are we doing something wrong? And is she going to start having problems with it now?
They said her lungs sound good. She has been in hospital , could she have got it from there?

kaylasdad

kaylasdad

kaylasdad

<br />They said her lungs sound good. She has been in hospital , could she have got it from there?
<br />Sorry so many questions just freaking a little. Thanks in advance.

S

sdelorenzo

No, you did nothing wrong. A lot of children with cf culture it. She could have picked it up anywhere. No one knows exactly how or where people with cf pick up bacteria. Bacteria is everywhere. There is no way to avoid it unfortunately. We can take precautions such as no bath toys with holes in it or not to put dirt in their mouths.

I remember freaking out when my son first cultured it.
He has cultured psuedomonas three times. Once at one yrs old, then at 3 yrs old, then at 4 yrs old. Each time there was at least 12 months between the cultures. The good news is that there are inhaled antibiotics that they can take at home that can fight it. My son has always inhaled Tobi and it seems to have gotten rid of it in a few weeks, at least for a while. Later this year another good antibiotic is coming out that will also help fight psuedomonas.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

S

sdelorenzo

No, you did nothing wrong. A lot of children with cf culture it. She could have picked it up anywhere. No one knows exactly how or where people with cf pick up bacteria. Bacteria is everywhere. There is no way to avoid it unfortunately. We can take precautions such as no bath toys with holes in it or not to put dirt in their mouths.

He has cultured psuedomonas three times. Once at one yrs old, then at 3 yrs old, then at 4 yrs old. Each time there was at least 12 months between the cultures. The good news is that there are inhaled antibiotics that they can take at home that can fight it. My son has always inhaled Tobi and it seems to have gotten rid of it in a few weeks, at least for a while. Later this year another good antibiotic is coming out that will also help fight psuedomonas.

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

S

sdelorenzo

<br />
<br />I remember freaking out when my son first cultured it.
<br />He has cultured psuedomonas three times. Once at one yrs old, then at 3 yrs old, then at 4 yrs old. Each time there was at least 12 months between the cultures. The good news is that there are inhaled antibiotics that they can take at home that can fight it. My son has always inhaled Tobi and it seems to have gotten rid of it in a few weeks, at least for a while. Later this year another good antibiotic is coming out that will also help fight psuedomonas.
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 6 and Jack, 4 both with cf

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS first cultured it (non-mucoid PA) when he was 3-4 months old. I was devastated, 'cuz it really brought home the fact that he actually DID have CF. Prior to that I was just sorta coasting along, thinking that it was all just a bad dream and someone would eventually call us and say they made a mistake with the diagnosis.

We've done tobi every other month twice a day since then. He sleeps thru the morning CPT and nebs. Evening gets a little hectic, but we've gotten into a routine.

You can drive yourself NUTS trying to figure out where she got it from -- could be from anywhere. You've done nothing wrong.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
DS first cultured it (non-mucoid PA) when he was 3-4 months old. I was devastated, 'cuz it really brought home the fact that he actually DID have CF. Prior to that I was just sorta coasting along, thinking that it was all just a bad dream and someone would eventually call us and say they made a mistake with the diagnosis.

We've done tobi every other month twice a day since then. He sleeps thru the morning CPT and nebs. Evening gets a little hectic, but we've gotten into a routine.

You can drive yourself NUTS trying to figure out where she got it from -- could be from anywhere. You've done nothing wrong.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />We've done tobi every other month twice a day since then. He sleeps thru the morning CPT and nebs. Evening gets a little hectic, but we've gotten into a routine.
<br />
<br />You can drive yourself NUTS trying to figure out where she got it from -- could be from anywhere. You've done nothing wrong.

ktsmom

Ditto what the other have posters said. Our daughter cultured PA at her first visit. 3 months of TOBI and Cipro, and she has cultured clear since. She does TOBI 28 on/28 off now. Don't freak. I did, too, but it just happens. As a pp mentioned, Aztreonam is almost here and it nebs in the e-flow so good news there!

ktsmom

Ditto what the other have posters said. Our daughter cultured PA at her first visit. 3 months of TOBI and Cipro, and she has cultured clear since. She does TOBI 28 on/28 off now. Don't freak. I did, too, but it just happens. As a pp mentioned, Aztreonam is almost here and it nebs in the e-flow so good news there!

ktsmom

ktsmom

ktsmom