pseudamona questions

fourkidsmom

After our son was born he stayed the first 3 months in the hospital before coming home. He had the bowel surgeries, failure to thrive, central line and then port put in his chest, and yes he contracted pseudamonas at 2 months WHILE in the hospital. So yes it is VERY possible she got it there, and that makes me SO mad. There is nothing you can do to prevent it.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

After our son was born he stayed the first 3 months in the hospital before coming home. He had the bowel surgeries, failure to thrive, central line and then port put in his chest, and yes he contracted pseudamonas at 2 months WHILE in the hospital. So yes it is VERY possible she got it there, and that makes me SO mad. There is nothing you can do to prevent it.

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

<br />
<br />Fourkidsmom

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
While DS didn't culture pseudo during his NICU stay -- came home with something else -- my MIL, who used to be an RN on a TB floor YEARS ago, pointed out to us during DS's 4-6 week stay as a newborn that the RTs didn't wear gowns. They'd wash their hands going from isolette to isolette, but they'd cradle the babies in their arms, up agains their chests sometimes to position them for CPT, adminster treatments, suctioning, etc. They also had a "community" albuterol bottle and vials of saline, which they kept in the pockets of their scrubs.

I know a couple people on this site request people gown and glove up during clinic appointments, exams...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
While DS didn't culture pseudo during his NICU stay -- came home with something else -- my MIL, who used to be an RN on a TB floor YEARS ago, pointed out to us during DS's 4-6 week stay as a newborn that the RTs didn't wear gowns. They'd wash their hands going from isolette to isolette, but they'd cradle the babies in their arms, up agains their chests sometimes to position them for CPT, adminster treatments, suctioning, etc. They also had a "community" albuterol bottle and vials of saline, which they kept in the pockets of their scrubs.

I know a couple people on this site request people gown and glove up during clinic appointments, exams...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<br />
<br />I know a couple people on this site request people gown and glove up during clinic appointments, exams...

thefrogprincess

I've cultured this little bug for about 20 years, and I've only ever done IV antibiotics once. Its not the horror it was years and years ago. You didn't do anything wrong!

thefrogprincess

I've cultured this little bug for about 20 years, and I've only ever done IV antibiotics once. Its not the horror it was years and years ago. You didn't do anything wrong!

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

thefrogprincess

Z

zeeannie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kaylasdad</b></i>

Thanks you all, still wondering is her getting it, make it easier for her to keep getting it?</end quote></div>

The pulmonologist at our clinic told us that it never actually goes away. You can knock the numbers down enough with antibiotics that it doesn't show up on a culture, but it's still there. I assume they could find it with a bronchoscope, if that's the case. Anyway, all that means is that from time to time you may have an exacerbation. You may know it's happening because the child gets sick, or as in our case, it just shows up on the cultures without symptoms. She has only been sick enough for IV's twice and she's 11yo. You can never know how it PA will affect your child once it's been cultured. That seems to be one of the variables among CF'ers.
Here's to hoping you can keep it at bay!

Z

zeeannie

Thanks you all, still wondering is her getting it, make it easier for her to keep getting it?</end quote></div>

The pulmonologist at our clinic told us that it never actually goes away. You can knock the numbers down enough with antibiotics that it doesn't show up on a culture, but it's still there. I assume they could find it with a bronchoscope, if that's the case. Anyway, all that means is that from time to time you may have an exacerbation. You may know it's happening because the child gets sick, or as in our case, it just shows up on the cultures without symptoms. She has only been sick enough for IV's twice and she's 11yo. You can never know how it PA will affect your child once it's been cultured. That seems to be one of the variables among CF'ers.

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie

Thanks you all, still wondering is her getting it, make it easier for her to keep getting it?</end quote>

Z

zeeannie

<br />
<br />Thanks you all, still wondering is her getting it, make it easier for her to keep getting it?</end quote>
<br />
<br />The pulmonologist at our clinic told us that it never actually goes away. You can knock the numbers down enough with antibiotics that it doesn't show up on a culture, but it's still there. I assume they could find it with a bronchoscope, if that's the case. Anyway, all that means is that from time to time you may have an exacerbation. You may know it's happening because the child gets sick, or as in our case, it just shows up on the cultures without symptoms. She has only been sick enough for IV's twice and she's 11yo. You can never know how it PA will affect your child once it's been cultured. That seems to be one of the variables among CF'ers.
<br />Here's to hoping you can keep it at bay!