Question about mixing Colistin

A

Aspiemom

My CF center called in Colistin for me, but my insurance won't cover it so I told CF Services Pharmacy not to send it to me.

Then a friend with CF told me that she has a lot of Colistin that she can't use and it's dated okay. She wants to mail it to me so I can use it.

My question is, <b>how much saline do you inject into the bottle?</b> And <b>what duration do you usually take it</b>? I could ask the CF nurse what they were ordering, but that will take longer and this friend wants to get it mailed to me ASAP but wants to know how many bottles to send me.

I guess you can tell that Colistin will be a new one for me. Right now I'm on my 2nd week of Merrem and I'm mixing that.

A

Aspiemom

My CF center called in Colistin for me, but my insurance won't cover it so I told CF Services Pharmacy not to send it to me.

Then a friend with CF told me that she has a lot of Colistin that she can't use and it's dated okay. She wants to mail it to me so I can use it.

My question is, <b>how much saline do you inject into the bottle?</b> And <b>what duration do you usually take it</b>? I could ask the CF nurse what they were ordering, but that will take longer and this friend wants to get it mailed to me ASAP but wants to know how many bottles to send me.

I guess you can tell that Colistin will be a new one for me. Right now I'm on my 2nd week of Merrem and I'm mixing that.

A

Aspiemom

A

Aspiemom

A

Aspiemom

<br />
<br />Then a friend with CF told me that she has a lot of Colistin that she can't use and it's dated okay. She wants to mail it to me so I can use it.
<br />
<br />My question is, <b>how much saline do you inject into the bottle?</b> And <b>what duration do you usually take it</b>? I could ask the CF nurse what they were ordering, but that will take longer and this friend wants to get it mailed to me ASAP but wants to know how many bottles to send me.
<br />
<br />I guess you can tell that Colistin will be a new one for me. Right now I'm on my 2nd week of Merrem and I'm mixing that.

JustDucky

I thought that you mixed it with sterile water? At least that is what I did when I reconstituted it (my doc told me to do it that way). I was given multi dose sterile vials and drew up 4mls for each vial of 150 mg colistin, which came to 2ml per dose (75 mg/2ml). I also did not mix it until it was time to neb it, I believe it is only good for 24 hours once reconstituted so a whole month's worth can't be drawn up and stored, it has to be done daily. When I took it, I took it for a month, twice a day...but I would run this by your doctor before you do anything though to make sure it is okay with him or her as far as reconstitution goes, for how long etc....

JustDucky

I thought that you mixed it with sterile water? At least that is what I did when I reconstituted it (my doc told me to do it that way). I was given multi dose sterile vials and drew up 4mls for each vial of 150 mg colistin, which came to 2ml per dose (75 mg/2ml). I also did not mix it until it was time to neb it, I believe it is only good for 24 hours once reconstituted so a whole month's worth can't be drawn up and stored, it has to be done daily. When I took it, I took it for a month, twice a day...but I would run this by your doctor before you do anything though to make sure it is okay with him or her as far as reconstitution goes, for how long etc....

JustDucky

JustDucky

JustDucky

tesorotiffa

2mL of sterile water injected into the vial of Colistin powder. I would mix it, and let it sit for about 10 minutes to reduce the amount of foam in the vial. Pull out 2mL of the mixture and use that in the neb with 2mL of saline. Good luck! I think it takes about 20 minutes overall to neb it.

tesorotiffa

2mL of sterile water injected into the vial of Colistin powder. I would mix it, and let it sit for about 10 minutes to reduce the amount of foam in the vial. Pull out 2mL of the mixture and use that in the neb with 2mL of saline. Good luck! I think it takes about 20 minutes overall to neb it.

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

Oh yeah, and it's just like any other antibiotic, so the doc would probably prescribe it twice a day for a month. I used to alternate it with Tobi until I became resistant to Tobi. Now I do Colistin continuously ... but it depends on your case and what your doc says of course.

tesorotiffa

Oh yeah, and it's just like any other antibiotic, so the doc would probably prescribe it twice a day for a month. I used to alternate it with Tobi until I became resistant to Tobi. Now I do Colistin continuously ... but it depends on your case and what your doc says of course.

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa

tesorotiffa