Radiologist placing port?

crystalina0814

I know this has been discussed time and time again. My time has come to get a port- September 24. I have strong fears about being put to sleep, so this will be done by an interventional radiologist- in the radiology department. Can you please share your experiences of having a port placed while awake or lightly sedated? I am extrememly nervous to the point of cancelling my appt. I hate this whole idea and have a fear of not being in control during the procedure. Please share your experiences.

crystalina0814

I know this has been discussed time and time again. My time has come to get a port- September 24. I have strong fears about being put to sleep, so this will be done by an interventional radiologist- in the radiology department. Can you please share your experiences of having a port placed while awake or lightly sedated? I am extrememly nervous to the point of cancelling my appt. I hate this whole idea and have a fear of not being in control during the procedure. Please share your experiences.

crystalina0814

crystalina0814

crystalina0814

just1more

I've never heard of this being done in radiology with the patient awake.

The placing of a port is normally done under general by a surgeon. It involves an incision at the site of the port and another on your neck. They put the port in, feed the tube up to your neck, into the vein and back to the heart and then stich everything up. It is not very complicated from a surgical standpoint, but I would personally rather to be asleep for that much poking/prodding.

Hopefully, someone here will have more details about having it done awake. And more importantly, I hope all goes well for you.

just1more

The placing of a port is normally done under general by a surgeon. It involves an incision at the site of the port and another on your neck. They put the port in, feed the tube up to your neck, into the vein and back to the heart and then stich everything up. It is not very complicated from a surgical standpoint, but I would personally rather to be asleep for that much poking/prodding.

Hopefully, someone here will have more details about having it done awake. And more importantly, I hope all goes well for you.

just1more

just1more

just1more

<br />
<br />The placing of a port is normally done under general by a surgeon. It involves an incision at the site of the port and another on your neck. They put the port in, feed the tube up to your neck, into the vein and back to the heart and then stich everything up. It is not very complicated from a surgical standpoint, but I would personally rather to be asleep for that much poking/prodding.
<br />
<br />Hopefully, someone here will have more details about having it done awake. And more importantly, I hope all goes well for you.

P

PeteRose

I had my port placed in my forearm - under a "twilight" sedation. I absolutely love my port, it makes IV's so much easier. I was back in my room using my port really quickly and I have not had any problems with it. (knock wood) I have had mine for 3 years.

Rosie 48 w/cf

P

PeteRose

I had my port placed in my forearm - under a "twilight" sedation. I absolutely love my port, it makes IV's so much easier. I was back in my room using my port really quickly and I have not had any problems with it. (knock wood) I have had mine for 3 years.

Rosie 48 w/cf

P

PeteRose

Rosie 48 w/cf

P

PeteRose

Rosie 48 w/cf

P

PeteRose

<br />
<br />Rosie 48 w/cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,
I had my new port placed under "light" sedation. I was given fentanyl and versed and basically was out. I felt no pain although I did wake up several times during the procedure (and was given more drugs). It was complicated with getting the old port (9 years) out.

I think it depends on the severity of your cf. If you already have issues breathing, it could pose problems when you are sedated.

Good luck!

Jenn
31 cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,
I had my new port placed under "light" sedation. I was given fentanyl and versed and basically was out. I felt no pain although I did wake up several times during the procedure (and was given more drugs). It was complicated with getting the old port (9 years) out.

I think it depends on the severity of your cf. If you already have issues breathing, it could pose problems when you are sedated.

Good luck!

Jenn
31 cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Good luck!

Jenn
31 cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,

Good luck!

Jenn
31 cf

PedsNP2007

Hi,
<br />I had my new port placed under "light" sedation. I was given fentanyl and versed and basically was out. I felt no pain although I did wake up several times during the procedure (and was given more drugs). It was complicated with getting the old port (9 years) out.
<br />
<br />I think it depends on the severity of your cf. If you already have issues breathing, it could pose problems when you are sedated.
<br />
<br />Good luck!
<br />
<br />Jenn
<br />31 cf