Radiologist placing port?

Kelli

I've had several ports placed and removed while awake. And I'm not one to like needles or procedures. Well it was no big deal. Seriously.
The worst part is the numbing, that burns like crazy and they have to go a little deep. Once that is done, it's painfree and no big deal.
When the surgeon placed mine last time, I was totally awake and talking about his sons upcoming birthday party.

Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do just fine.

Kelli
31 f CF

Kelli

I've had several ports placed and removed while awake. And I'm not one to like needles or procedures. Well it was no big deal. Seriously.
The worst part is the numbing, that burns like crazy and they have to go a little deep. Once that is done, it's painfree and no big deal.
When the surgeon placed mine last time, I was totally awake and talking about his sons upcoming birthday party.

Kelli
31 f CF

Kelli

Kelli
31 f CF

Kelli

Kelli
31 f CF

Kelli

<br />The worst part is the numbing, that burns like crazy and they have to go a little deep. Once that is done, it's painfree and no big deal.
<br />When the surgeon placed mine last time, I was totally awake and talking about his sons upcoming birthday party.
<br />
<br />Good luck to you. I'm sure you'll do just fine.
<br />
<br />Kelli
<br />31 f CF

just1more

Well I stand corrected, looks like they do them 'awake' more than I realized in adults.
<br />
<br />Good Luck!

S

semperfiohana

yea if i have to get a port i will not do it awake lol. that scares the crap out of me lol.

S

semperfiohana

yea if i have to get a port i will not do it awake lol. that scares the crap out of me lol.

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

S

semperfiohana

Diane

If i ever had to have a port i would do it awake. If it makes you feel any better and it might, i've had all of my 6 embolizations done while awake with no sedation at all. I just prayed from start to finish. I am assuming if i could handle all that, i can probably handle having a port placed while awake. Ask if you can have your nurse present during the procedure ....that's what i did for my last 3 embolizations and it really helped me a lot to have someone there that i knew and trusted. I dont know if all places would allow that, but i cant see why not, especially if you are really scared .

Diane

If i ever had to have a port i would do it awake. If it makes you feel any better and it might, i've had all of my 6 embolizations done while awake with no sedation at all. I just prayed from start to finish. I am assuming if i could handle all that, i can probably handle having a port placed while awake. Ask if you can have your nurse present during the procedure ....that's what i did for my last 3 embolizations and it really helped me a lot to have someone there that i knew and trusted. I dont know if all places would allow that, but i cant see why not, especially if you are really scared .

Diane

Diane

Diane