Radiologist placing port?

tleigh

I have had ports placed two different times-the latest this past May. Both were done in radiology by an intervention team-usually a radiologist and a nurse. I was placed under very light sedation. I would have to agree w/ Kelli that the worst part was the numbing shot which burns like crazy initially. I asked for cool music (I think they had country going) and a blanket b/c it is usually like a freezer (kills germs)-oh, I made sure I had warm socks on, too. I can share that for me, getting a port has been so worth it! It has made being proactive and aggressive a reality.

tleigh

I have had ports placed two different times-the latest this past May. Both were done in radiology by an intervention team-usually a radiologist and a nurse. I was placed under very light sedation. I would have to agree w/ Kelli that the worst part was the numbing shot which burns like crazy initially. I asked for cool music (I think they had country going) and a blanket b/c it is usually like a freezer (kills germs)-oh, I made sure I had warm socks on, too. I can share that for me, getting a port has been so worth it! It has made being proactive and aggressive a reality.

tleigh

tleigh

tleigh

LouLou

I had mine put in this summer and was awake with versed and fentanyl. I love the way I feel on these two drugs :) I was totally aware of everything and able to speak but preferred just zoning out listening to the chatter of the procedure. If you cough a lot you'll definitely want to be with it because I believe general inhibits your cough. I was able to cough and a nurse was dedicated to suctioning my mouth during the procedure. Since I have mrsa I wanted my head draped so there was no chance of coughing on myself during the procedure. They had already planned to do this when I was going to ask for it. Also with general I believe a person has to be intubated. There's always the fear with cfers is that once intubated, our lungs won't allow extubation. I would be surprised if any of our cf doctors would want us under general for the procedure...unless there's no lung involvement but then why would someone be getting a port? tpn?

LouLou

I had mine put in this summer and was awake with versed and fentanyl. I love the way I feel on these two drugs :) I was totally aware of everything and able to speak but preferred just zoning out listening to the chatter of the procedure. If you cough a lot you'll definitely want to be with it because I believe general inhibits your cough. I was able to cough and a nurse was dedicated to suctioning my mouth during the procedure. Since I have mrsa I wanted my head draped so there was no chance of coughing on myself during the procedure. They had already planned to do this when I was going to ask for it. Also with general I believe a person has to be intubated. There's always the fear with cfers is that once intubated, our lungs won't allow extubation. I would be surprised if any of our cf doctors would want us under general for the procedure...unless there's no lung involvement but then why would someone be getting a port? tpn?

LouLou

LouLou

LouLou

Asexyblond23

I have had two ports placed, one while I was asleep and one while I was awake. The one where I was awake they gave me pain meds thru my iv and i was awake the whole time. I did not feel any pain. They were really great and it was over with in less then 20 mins.

Asexyblond23

I have had two ports placed, one while I was asleep and one while I was awake. The one where I was awake they gave me pain meds thru my iv and i was awake the whole time. I did not feel any pain. They were really great and it was over with in less then 20 mins.

Asexyblond23

Asexyblond23

Asexyblond23

crystalina0814

You guys have really eased my fear! Thank you. I do have 3 weeks to wait, but I would much prefer the next 3 weeks to go along as normal- and not me mentally tormenting myself! Keep the good ones coming!

crystalina0814

You guys have really eased my fear! Thank you. I do have 3 weeks to wait, but I would much prefer the next 3 weeks to go along as normal- and not me mentally tormenting myself! Keep the good ones coming!

crystalina0814

crystalina0814

crystalina0814