Sinus Surgery

Well, if you've read any comments from me (just a few so far) you know I have had 15 sinus surgeries. 3 within the last year and a half and the last one about 3 weeks ago. Since this last one I've had to have packing placed back in the left side 2 times. (Today was the second time). Last Dec. they took a section of bone out to make a larger opening from my upper sinus's. They have also told me the infections have been so bad that the bone is soft and being "eaten" away in my forhead and around my eyes and nose. They showed me the ct scans and believe me, it does not look normal. Good thing the outside still looks normal!
Anyway, has anyone else had similar issues. This is how my CF has most presented itself and only within the last 6 years have I had lung issues.

Dave (46 w CF)

Well, if you've read any comments from me (just a few so far) you know I have had 15 sinus surgeries. 3 within the last year and a half and the last one about 3 weeks ago. Since this last one I've had to have packing placed back in the left side 2 times. (Today was the second time). Last Dec. they took a section of bone out to make a larger opening from my upper sinus's. They have also told me the infections have been so bad that the bone is soft and being "eaten" away in my forhead and around my eyes and nose. They showed me the ct scans and believe me, it does not look normal. Good thing the outside still looks normal!
Anyway, has anyone else had similar issues. This is how my CF has most presented itself and only within the last 6 years have I had lung issues.

Dave (46 w CF)

Dave (46 w CF)

Dave (46 w CF)

Dave (46 w CF)

M

mneville

Hi Dave. My son who is only three has horrible sinus disease as well. At age one and a half he had his first sinus surgery. CT scans showed that his "bone" has already pretty much disintegrated. His back sinuses will never develop from the damage. SInce then we do daily sinus rinses and Flonase. He currently has polyps again and is looking at his second surgery. He is a Double Delta. I hope his problems only stay in the sinuses although we treat the lungs daily as well. Hope you feel better soon!
Megan, mom to Aidan 3 w/CF and Gavin, 6 months no CF

M

mneville

Hi Dave. My son who is only three has horrible sinus disease as well. At age one and a half he had his first sinus surgery. CT scans showed that his "bone" has already pretty much disintegrated. His back sinuses will never develop from the damage. SInce then we do daily sinus rinses and Flonase. He currently has polyps again and is looking at his second surgery. He is a Double Delta. I hope his problems only stay in the sinuses although we treat the lungs daily as well. Hope you feel better soon!

M

mneville

M

mneville

M

mneville

Faust

THIS is exactly why I have not given in to my ENT's desire to perform surgery on my sinuses. As long as i'm not going to die or have my CF drastically accelerated, I refuse to go under the knife. The biggest reason why? She basically told me when I saw her that she wanted to do surgery, and she would more than likely have to operate many more times in the future. It's kind of like a big "Once this starts, it will never end" type thing. Sorry, i'd rather death with never ending saline nasal douches, sprays, aggressive vest therapy (my nose runs like mad when I do that), and anything else I can do to help my sinuses before I go under the knife. And then there is the dreaded loss of smell sensations so common in post surgery patients. No thanks. Sorry to hear you are going through this though man...If ya had to get it done, you had to. So far, i'm able to postpone the knife!

Faust

THIS is exactly why I have not given in to my ENT's desire to perform surgery on my sinuses. As long as i'm not going to die or have my CF drastically accelerated, I refuse to go under the knife. The biggest reason why? She basically told me when I saw her that she wanted to do surgery, and she would more than likely have to operate many more times in the future. It's kind of like a big "Once this starts, it will never end" type thing. Sorry, i'd rather death with never ending saline nasal douches, sprays, aggressive vest therapy (my nose runs like mad when I do that), and anything else I can do to help my sinuses before I go under the knife. And then there is the dreaded loss of smell sensations so common in post surgery patients. No thanks. Sorry to hear you are going through this though man...If ya had to get it done, you had to. So far, i'm able to postpone the knife!

Faust

Faust

Faust

kybert

folks, id like to point out that surgery DOES NOT cause infections/more surgeries. this is a myth and i dont know who started it. if anything surgery prevents further problems from happening. if dave did not have those 15 surgeries in 3 years, i guarantee you he would be in a huge amount of pain, discomfort and would have had a hell of a lot more dead bone and lung infections. also, loss of smell is not a common side effect. you will find that most people have an improved sense of smell afterwards because their sinuses arent blocked anymore. loss of smell from surgery usually happens if you have a large amount of surgeries in a short period of time, which is rare, or if the infections are so bad that the surgery becomes quite extensive. hence why people should not put off surgery if it has been suggested to them by a doctor. the longer you wait, the worse it will be. there is very little to fear.

kybert

folks, id like to point out that surgery DOES NOT cause infections/more surgeries. this is a myth and i dont know who started it. if anything surgery prevents further problems from happening. if dave did not have those 15 surgeries in 3 years, i guarantee you he would be in a huge amount of pain, discomfort and would have had a hell of a lot more dead bone and lung infections. also, loss of smell is not a common side effect. you will find that most people have an improved sense of smell afterwards because their sinuses arent blocked anymore. loss of smell from surgery usually happens if you have a large amount of surgeries in a short period of time, which is rare, or if the infections are so bad that the surgery becomes quite extensive. hence why people should not put off surgery if it has been suggested to them by a doctor. the longer you wait, the worse it will be. there is very little to fear.

kybert

kybert

kybert