Sinus Surgery

mom4holly

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>also, loss of smell is not a common side effect.</end quote></div>

I will totally disagree with the loss of smell part--my 5 year old can't smell since after her sinus sergeries for polyps & she never had that problem prior the surgery, BUT everyone reacts differently.

mom4holly

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>also, loss of smell is not a common side effect.</end quote></div>

I will totally disagree with the loss of smell part--my 5 year old can't smell since after her sinus sergeries for polyps & she never had that problem prior the surgery, BUT everyone reacts differently.

mom4holly

mom4holly

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>also, loss of smell is not a common side effect.</end quote>

mom4holly

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>also, loss of smell is not a common side effect.</end quote>

kybert

just because your daughter has had a loss of smell, it still doesnt mean its common. sorry, but i am just so sick of people spreading myths around.

kybert

just because your daughter has had a loss of smell, it still doesnt mean its common. sorry, but i am just so sick of people spreading myths around.

kybert

kybert

kybert

Faust

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kybert</b></i>

folks, id like to point out that surgery DOES NOT cause infections/more surgeries. also, loss of smell is not a common side effect. </end quote></div>

The surgeon herself told me I would have to have more surgeries in the future. Every CF patient I have ever known (besides on here, who knows) that went in for sinus surgery had to have more surgeries. Most if not all of those people, all either had reduced sensation of smell, or totally lost their sense of smell. Does this mean it's universal? No. It means in my circle of old friends (most dead now) it was very prevalent, and therefore seems systemic of sinus surgery to me. Hence, unless it's life threatening, and I can get by with other means of treating my sinus issues, i'm avoiding sinus surgery till I can't any longer.

The examination I had (with her looking at my ct scan of sinuses), she said I had no polyps, but my sinuses were "pretty bad", and wanted to operate the next time I got sick. Aside from those bleeds I dealt with a while back, I haven't been "sick" in a while as in a full blown out bad sick. So I will keep fighting the good fight with aggressive care and avoiding the knife at all costs.

Faust

folks, id like to point out that surgery DOES NOT cause infections/more surgeries. also, loss of smell is not a common side effect. </end quote></div>

The surgeon herself told me I would have to have more surgeries in the future. Every CF patient I have ever known (besides on here, who knows) that went in for sinus surgery had to have more surgeries. Most if not all of those people, all either had reduced sensation of smell, or totally lost their sense of smell. Does this mean it's universal? No. It means in my circle of old friends (most dead now) it was very prevalent, and therefore seems systemic of sinus surgery to me. Hence, unless it's life threatening, and I can get by with other means of treating my sinus issues, i'm avoiding sinus surgery till I can't any longer.

The examination I had (with her looking at my ct scan of sinuses), she said I had no polyps, but my sinuses were "pretty bad", and wanted to operate the next time I got sick. Aside from those bleeds I dealt with a while back, I haven't been "sick" in a while as in a full blown out bad sick. So I will keep fighting the good fight with aggressive care and avoiding the knife at all costs.

Faust

Faust

folks, id like to point out that surgery DOES NOT cause infections/more surgeries. also, loss of smell is not a common side effect. </end quote>

Faust

folks, id like to point out that surgery DOES NOT cause infections/more surgeries. also, loss of smell is not a common side effect. </end quote>

summer732

I don't think that one sinus surgery causes more sinus surgeries. I think that is just the nature of the beast. the reality is, one there are polyps they grow back. I've had two major sinus surgeries and 3 office procedures. The office procedures are very painful where the doc sticks a huge needle in my nose, numbs my entire face, and then pulls the polyps out. Not fun.

However, i'm a huge advocate of good sinus care. Eventually, if polyps are blocking your nasal passages and sinuses more gunk will build up in the sinus cavity and you won't be able to move it as easily. This could easily drip into your lungs and cause more lung infections. I"m post lung tx and my pfts have increased and i haven't had a serious cold or upper respiratory infection since my sinus surgery in May. And yes, I have COMPLETELY LOST my sense of smell. while that part bothers me a lot, better sinus care = healthier lungs. So i do what i gotta do!

summer732

I don't think that one sinus surgery causes more sinus surgeries. I think that is just the nature of the beast. the reality is, one there are polyps they grow back. I've had two major sinus surgeries and 3 office procedures. The office procedures are very painful where the doc sticks a huge needle in my nose, numbs my entire face, and then pulls the polyps out. Not fun.

However, i'm a huge advocate of good sinus care. Eventually, if polyps are blocking your nasal passages and sinuses more gunk will build up in the sinus cavity and you won't be able to move it as easily. This could easily drip into your lungs and cause more lung infections. I"m post lung tx and my pfts have increased and i haven't had a serious cold or upper respiratory infection since my sinus surgery in May. And yes, I have COMPLETELY LOST my sense of smell. while that part bothers me a lot, better sinus care = healthier lungs. So i do what i gotta do!

summer732

summer732

summer732