Smoking Zigs & CF

Havoc

I hear u guys. It's a tough balancing act to have fun, yet maintain your health. I don't like when people judge, we are all adults and can make an informed decision. Personally, I prefer quality over quantity. If I could choose to live to 50 and have a great time, I would, rather than living in a bubble and making it to 70 or 80.
<br />
<br />Everybody has a vice...

E

entropy

Smoking cigarettes is stupid. Smoking pot is a different story.

Pot has many well documented medicinal effects and is less addictive than cigarettes, which have no medicinal effects and are extremely toxic. I know of some people with CF who smoke cigarettes, and to me it seems rather ridiculous considering there are much better ways to get a nicotine fix than smoking a cigarette. With pot, one can do a risk/benefit analysis and decide if smoking pot is a good choice. But I think that, in any case, smoking cigarettes is not good in any way.

E

entropy

Pot has many well documented medicinal effects and is less addictive than cigarettes, which have no medicinal effects and are extremely toxic. I know of some people with CF who smoke cigarettes, and to me it seems rather ridiculous considering there are much better ways to get a nicotine fix than smoking a cigarette. With pot, one can do a risk/benefit analysis and decide if smoking pot is a good choice. But I think that, in any case, smoking cigarettes is not good in any way.

E

entropy

<br />
<br />Pot has many well documented medicinal effects and is less addictive than cigarettes, which have no medicinal effects and are extremely toxic. I know of some people with CF who smoke cigarettes, and to me it seems rather ridiculous considering there are much better ways to get a nicotine fix than smoking a cigarette. With pot, one can do a risk/benefit analysis and decide if smoking pot is a good choice. But I think that, in any case, smoking cigarettes is not good in any way.

CysticlyFunny

I smoke daily.....its inhaled via my nebulizers,4x times a day...i'm like chimney really...

For goodness sakes....smoking cigarettes and CF don't mix, or POT,. for the closet CF potheads out there, All this 'its my body and my life' crap is your version of an guilty excuse. You should deal with your stress in a positive way, make it be a hobby your good at or -exercise-. Without hurting your body or mind w/ drugs.

Your treatments are your tool to control CF, not for CF to control you.....

CysticlyFunny

I smoke daily.....its inhaled via my nebulizers,4x times a day...i'm like chimney really...

For goodness sakes....smoking cigarettes and CF don't mix, or POT,. for the closet CF potheads out there, All this 'its my body and my life' crap is your version of an guilty excuse. You should deal with your stress in a positive way, make it be a hobby your good at or -exercise-. Without hurting your body or mind w/ drugs.

Your treatments are your tool to control CF, not for CF to control you.....

CysticlyFunny

<br />
<br />For goodness sakes....smoking cigarettes and CF don't mix, or POT,. for the closet CF potheads out there, All this 'its my body and my life' crap is your version of an guilty excuse. You should deal with your stress in a positive way, make it be a hobby your good at or -exercise-. Without hurting your body or mind w/ drugs.
<br />
<br />Your treatments are your tool to control CF, not for CF to control you.....

texnation

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CysticlyFunny</b></i>

For goodness sakes....smoking cigarettes and CF don't mix, or POT,. for the closet CF potheads out there, All this 'its my body and my life' crap is your version of an guilty excuse. You should deal with your stress in a positive way, make it be a hobby your good at or -exercise-. Without hurting your body or mind w/ drugs.</end quote></div>

I second that. Those that do it I'm assuming haven't come close to end stage CF yet. Wait until your lungs start collapsing, you have to be on oxygen permanently, you get exhausted from getting dressed, and your FEVs get as low as they can go.

I highly doubt when you have to live like this you will sit back and say "Well I got to smoke and live life and have a good time" No, you will want more time, you will want health. No amount of high or addiction will overcome this.

I don't understand why "living life" and "having a good time" have to be irresponsible things. I cry when I think about being able to finally run after a transplant, that to me would be the ultimate "good time" There are plenty of healthy activities and pleasures out there rather than progressing a disease you have even faster than it should go.

texnation

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>CysticlyFunny</b></i>

For goodness sakes....smoking cigarettes and CF don't mix, or POT,. for the closet CF potheads out there, All this 'its my body and my life' crap is your version of an guilty excuse. You should deal with your stress in a positive way, make it be a hobby your good at or -exercise-. Without hurting your body or mind w/ drugs.</end quote>

I second that. Those that do it I'm assuming haven't come close to end stage CF yet. Wait until your lungs start collapsing, you have to be on oxygen permanently, you get exhausted from getting dressed, and your FEVs get as low as they can go.

I highly doubt when you have to live like this you will sit back and say "Well I got to smoke and live life and have a good time" No, you will want more time, you will want health. No amount of high or addiction will overcome this.

I don't understand why "living life" and "having a good time" have to be irresponsible things. I cry when I think about being able to finally run after a transplant, that to me would be the ultimate "good time" There are plenty of healthy activities and pleasures out there rather than progressing a disease you have even faster than it should go.

texnation

<br />
<br />For goodness sakes....smoking cigarettes and CF don't mix, or POT,. for the closet CF potheads out there, All this 'its my body and my life' crap is your version of an guilty excuse. You should deal with your stress in a positive way, make it be a hobby your good at or -exercise-. Without hurting your body or mind w/ drugs.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I second that. Those that do it I'm assuming haven't come close to end stage CF yet. Wait until your lungs start collapsing, you have to be on oxygen permanently, you get exhausted from getting dressed, and your FEVs get as low as they can go.
<br />
<br />I highly doubt when you have to live like this you will sit back and say "Well I got to smoke and live life and have a good time" No, you will want more time, you will want health. No amount of high or addiction will overcome this.
<br />
<br />I don't understand why "living life" and "having a good time" have to be irresponsible things. I cry when I think about being able to finally run after a transplant, that to me would be the ultimate "good time" There are plenty of healthy activities and pleasures out there rather than progressing a disease you have even faster than it should go.

2DIE4Corey

Thank u so much for ur replies.. and it really makes me thinkin...
..i am not addicted or anything...
..and I think the behaviour I got is, maybe cause i am not in and critical stadium yet... sure I think, well, i fell good, what shall happen... (NOW)

..my thought is ridiculous, I realize...

2DIE4Corey

..i am not addicted or anything...
..and I think the behaviour I got is, maybe cause i am not in and critical stadium yet... sure I think, well, i fell good, what shall happen... (NOW)

..my thought is ridiculous, I realize...

2DIE4Corey

<br />..i am not addicted or anything...
<br />..and I think the behaviour I got is, maybe cause i am not in and critical stadium yet... sure I think, well, i fell good, what shall happen... (NOW)
<br />
<br />..my thought is ridiculous, I realize...

nocode

2die4corey - yeah, I didn't want to respond to this topic because I thought that it would be hard to "get through to you" because i recognize the phase you're going through and you're at a stage where you are rebelling and doing harmful things because you are in denial about the illness and this is your way to say "f*ck you CF, i'm better than you".

But since I realize that you're actually open to listening, I must say.. smoking isn't the only way to "live your life" (as you put it), actually, smoking is just not cool. When you're a teenager yes I understand, gotta fit in and there's a lot of peer pressure and kids are more vulnerable to those things.. but as an adult it's time to start realizing that your health is the only thing that will stay (or not) with you.. your friends couldn't care less if you smoke or not, it's only up to YOU to make that decision. You can fit in by being YOURSELF, that's the bottom line. Also, you're a much stronger person if you're being yourself. And you can say whatever you want, but I will not believe that smoking is something you really want to do. You're stronger and more unique than that I am sure.

Besides...look around.. people who have been smokers for years (healthy people) are constantly trying to quit because they realize how useless and harmful it is. Little lone a person with CF.

Vera, 27

nocode

2die4corey - yeah, I didn't want to respond to this topic because I thought that it would be hard to "get through to you" because i recognize the phase you're going through and you're at a stage where you are rebelling and doing harmful things because you are in denial about the illness and this is your way to say "f*ck you CF, i'm better than you".

But since I realize that you're actually open to listening, I must say.. smoking isn't the only way to "live your life" (as you put it), actually, smoking is just not cool. When you're a teenager yes I understand, gotta fit in and there's a lot of peer pressure and kids are more vulnerable to those things.. but as an adult it's time to start realizing that your health is the only thing that will stay (or not) with you.. your friends couldn't care less if you smoke or not, it's only up to YOU to make that decision. You can fit in by being YOURSELF, that's the bottom line. Also, you're a much stronger person if you're being yourself. And you can say whatever you want, but I will not believe that smoking is something you really want to do. You're stronger and more unique than that I am sure.

Besides...look around.. people who have been smokers for years (healthy people) are constantly trying to quit because they realize how useless and harmful it is. Little lone a person with CF.

Vera, 27

nocode

<br />
<br />But since I realize that you're actually open to listening, I must say.. smoking isn't the only way to "live your life" (as you put it), actually, smoking is just not cool. When you're a teenager yes I understand, gotta fit in and there's a lot of peer pressure and kids are more vulnerable to those things.. but as an adult it's time to start realizing that your health is the only thing that will stay (or not) with you.. your friends couldn't care less if you smoke or not, it's only up to YOU to make that decision. You can fit in by being YOURSELF, that's the bottom line. Also, you're a much stronger person if you're being yourself. And you can say whatever you want, but I will not believe that smoking is something you really want to do. You're stronger and more unique than that I am sure.
<br />
<br />Besides...look around.. people who have been smokers for years (healthy people) are constantly trying to quit because they realize how useless and harmful it is. Little lone a person with CF.
<br />
<br />Vera, 27

2DIE4Corey

@nocode:
yeah u r definitely right, i just wouldnt say, that it is a kind of rebel-thing. Its just that I think, that it doesnt matter if I care for myself or not.. in the end we will die anyway, doesnt matter when and how u know.

there are the healthiest ppl out there, dont smoke, dont drink, just doin exercises and stuff and whats the end of it?? dying for example on a heart-attack.

Its a kind of, I´ve given myself up.
I am doing and feeling great (NOW), just the nutrition was always a problem and still is..but it is workin...

... when it gets worse... oky.. have to deal with it. Thats how I think, since I have started to think ( u know, when u r old enuff to think)

2DIE4Corey

@nocode:
yeah u r definitely right, i just wouldnt say, that it is a kind of rebel-thing. Its just that I think, that it doesnt matter if I care for myself or not.. in the end we will die anyway, doesnt matter when and how u know.

there are the healthiest ppl out there, dont smoke, dont drink, just doin exercises and stuff and whats the end of it?? dying for example on a heart-attack.

Its a kind of, I´ve given myself up.
I am doing and feeling great (NOW), just the nutrition was always a problem and still is..but it is workin...

... when it gets worse... oky.. have to deal with it. Thats how I think, since I have started to think ( u know, when u r old enuff to think)

2DIE4Corey

@nocode:
<br />yeah u r definitely right, i just wouldnt say, that it is a kind of rebel-thing. Its just that I think, that it doesnt matter if I care for myself or not.. in the end we will die anyway, doesnt matter when and how u know.
<br />
<br />there are the healthiest ppl out there, dont smoke, dont drink, just doin exercises and stuff and whats the end of it?? dying for example on a heart-attack.
<br />
<br />Its a kind of, I´ve given myself up.
<br />I am doing and feeling great (NOW), just the nutrition was always a problem and still is..but it is workin...
<br />
<br />... when it gets worse... oky.. have to deal with it. Thats how I think, since I have started to think ( u know, when u r old enuff to think)

mamaScarlett

Well I've got very strong feelings on this, but rather than beating you over the cyber head...
The one thing I will say to you is that you may feel this way presently in your life at 25, but I will hate to be around to see the regret in your eyes when you are older and you want to do certain things (certain jobs, travel, having children, etc) and you are more limited bc of the damage you have done to your lungs with smoking.
And do not kid yourself-its not "maybe" cigarettes are damaging your lungs-they ARE.
Doing anything bc you think you are going to have a short life is really stupid, (sorry). Who exactly says you are going to have a short life? There's cfers on this site in their 60s and 70s.
Well, anyway...sorry to say it, but if you keep smoking you will have a short life.
(oh and don't buy into the pot propaganda. That goes for smoking pot too. I have relatives that have been smoking pot their whole lives...believe me, you don't want to see what its done to their bodies. Get educated by doctors, not by your friends, or pro pot nuts.)