Social Security Money

ej0820

yeah, I think Jennifer (Giggles) is right. My $680 is too high to get SSI payments. I'm not sure how that's calculated.

K

kgfrompa

I think it goes on the cost of living in the area that you live in. When I lived in NYC it was alot higher than where I am now Pennsylvania.It is a struggle to live on SSI.

K

kgfrompa

I think it goes on the cost of living in the area that you live in. When I lived in NYC it was alot higher than where I am now Pennsylvania.It is a struggle to live on SSI.

K

kgfrompa

E

entropy

kg, how much money do you get monthly from SSI? I only get $450. I would be very grateful to get $700.

E

entropy

kg, how much money do you get monthly from SSI? I only get $450. I would be very grateful to get $700.

E

entropy

K

kgfrompa

I recieve 675 plus FOOd Stamps.Very hard to live on even still.With rent Co pay meds gas insurance ect ect.

K

kgfrompa

I recieve 675 plus FOOd Stamps.Very hard to live on even still.With rent Co pay meds gas insurance ect ect.

K

kgfrompa

just1more

I'm curious...you mention a car payment. Any possibility to get rid of the payment and maybe get something used you can buy cheap?

You can't do much about rent/utilities, and if you financed your computer that is just what it is. But I'm guessing your car payment is a sizeable amount of your income. There are a lot of cheap old car/truck options out there especially since you are not putting a lot of miles on it (ie no commuting).

Just a thought.

just1more

I'm curious...you mention a car payment. Any possibility to get rid of the payment and maybe get something used you can buy cheap?

You can't do much about rent/utilities, and if you financed your computer that is just what it is. But I'm guessing your car payment is a sizeable amount of your income. There are a lot of cheap old car/truck options out there especially since you are not putting a lot of miles on it (ie no commuting).

Just a thought.

just1more

<br />
<br />You can't do much about rent/utilities, and if you financed your computer that is just what it is. But I'm guessing your car payment is a sizeable amount of your income. There are a lot of cheap old car/truck options out there especially since you are not putting a lot of miles on it (ie no commuting).
<br />
<br />Just a thought.

static

Yea I don't qualify for SSDI yet but I went through the process of trying to obtain it so I know how much I would get.

My main problem with the social security system is it doesn't take all factors into consideration. From what I read/filled out they are looking for people who basically need 24 hour assistance (one question off the top of my head is can you sit/stand for 30 minutes; how far can you walk). Many of us don't fall into that category and most who do get outward support from other groups as well.

For CF we need:
Increased income for food. Many of us need to eat way more than the average person.
More financial help during hospitalization; that is a big one since we are frequently hospitalized but not always "disabled" (according to their definition)
Consideration of rent/living area

The minimum wage in California is $1280 a month, yet I could only get up to $1000 period. If I did a part time job and that income put me over 1000 for an extended period of time I would be cut off.

In my opinion they just need to devise a 3rd system and increase the funds of the other 2. A system in which you get support when you need it and it doesn't punish you for going over their amount.

Currently I am working with Dreamcatchers and am going through the training of my new part-time job now. I encourage anyone who needs a little extra help to see a department of rehabilitation councilor. Some jobs are more laid back than others and they are really good about finding jobs geared toward your health and providing accommodations when needed. Unfortunately it is not a quick process though.

static

Yea I don't qualify for SSDI yet but I went through the process of trying to obtain it so I know how much I would get.

My main problem with the social security system is it doesn't take all factors into consideration. From what I read/filled out they are looking for people who basically need 24 hour assistance (one question off the top of my head is can you sit/stand for 30 minutes; how far can you walk). Many of us don't fall into that category and most who do get outward support from other groups as well.

For CF we need:
Increased income for food. Many of us need to eat way more than the average person.
More financial help during hospitalization; that is a big one since we are frequently hospitalized but not always "disabled" (according to their definition)
Consideration of rent/living area

The minimum wage in California is $1280 a month, yet I could only get up to $1000 period. If I did a part time job and that income put me over 1000 for an extended period of time I would be cut off.

In my opinion they just need to devise a 3rd system and increase the funds of the other 2. A system in which you get support when you need it and it doesn't punish you for going over their amount.

Currently I am working with Dreamcatchers and am going through the training of my new part-time job now. I encourage anyone who needs a little extra help to see a department of rehabilitation councilor. Some jobs are more laid back than others and they are really good about finding jobs geared toward your health and providing accommodations when needed. Unfortunately it is not a quick process though.

static

<br />
<br />My main problem with the social security system is it doesn't take all factors into consideration. From what I read/filled out they are looking for people who basically need 24 hour assistance (one question off the top of my head is can you sit/stand for 30 minutes; how far can you walk). Many of us don't fall into that category and most who do get outward support from other groups as well.
<br />
<br />For CF we need:
<br />Increased income for food. Many of us need to eat way more than the average person.
<br />More financial help during hospitalization; that is a big one since we are frequently hospitalized but not always "disabled" (according to their definition)
<br />Consideration of rent/living area
<br />
<br />The minimum wage in California is $1280 a month, yet I could only get up to $1000 period. If I did a part time job and that income put me over 1000 for an extended period of time I would be cut off.
<br />
<br />In my opinion they just need to devise a 3rd system and increase the funds of the other 2. A system in which you get support when you need it and it doesn't punish you for going over their amount.
<br />
<br />Currently I am working with Dreamcatchers and am going through the training of my new part-time job now. I encourage anyone who needs a little extra help to see a department of rehabilitation councilor. Some jobs are more laid back than others and they are really good about finding jobs geared toward your health and providing accommodations when needed. Unfortunately it is not a quick process though.

K

kgfrompa

Sorry About that miss under standing I ment my cO pays for my medicines. No I have a older car but since I live in the woods and my Clinic is 250 miles one way I depend on my car like my meds. Crazy that CF clinic is so far but I have to say my Clinic UPMC OF Pittsburg ROCKS!!!

K

kgfrompa

Sorry About that miss under standing I ment my cO pays for my medicines. No I have a older car but since I live in the woods and my Clinic is 250 miles one way I depend on my car like my meds. Crazy that CF clinic is so far but I have to say my Clinic UPMC OF Pittsburg ROCKS!!!

K

kgfrompa

just1more

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kgfrompa</b></i>

Sorry About that miss under standing I ment my cO pays for my medicines. No I have a older car but since I live in the woods and my Clinic is 250 miles one way I depend on my car like my meds. Crazy that CF clinic is so far but I have to say my Clinic UPMC OF Pittsburg ROCKS!!!</end quote></div>

My comment was to the OP, I didn't catch that you had mentioned your car as well. Likewise she may have a very good need for a car, but since she listed it as one of her 3 bills I figured it might be something to think about.

Without working it is hard to increase your income, especially in this economy...which leaves cutting costs as the only way to balance a budget.