Social Security Money

theLostMiler

@ musclemania

I know you disagree with a lot of cf'er on here that are "married", but you must understand that in the majority of cases, the SSD and/or SSI gets decreased b/c of marriage. And the spouses salary and/or benefits dont make up for the stuff you lose.

And I dont know if you are sick enough to not know what each day will bring, hence even a part time job is out of the question.

And on top of it, you can only make "so much" money before the benefits get cut even more. And in my area, I was working only like 12-16 hours a week and was still going over the amount I could make before SSI was decreased.

If you are single and have no other form of support financially as far as from family or whatever, it is almost impossible. I only get by b/c of the additional help my parents give me.

And I agree, the food stamps should be increased for certain cases, my amount buys like one weeks amount of food, and its supposed to last an entire month.

theLostMiler

@ musclemania

I know you disagree with a lot of cf'er on here that are "married", but you must understand that in the majority of cases, the SSD and/or SSI gets decreased b/c of marriage. And the spouses salary and/or benefits dont make up for the stuff you lose.

And I dont know if you are sick enough to not know what each day will bring, hence even a part time job is out of the question.

And on top of it, you can only make "so much" money before the benefits get cut even more. And in my area, I was working only like 12-16 hours a week and was still going over the amount I could make before SSI was decreased.

If you are single and have no other form of support financially as far as from family or whatever, it is almost impossible. I only get by b/c of the additional help my parents give me.

And I agree, the food stamps should be increased for certain cases, my amount buys like one weeks amount of food, and its supposed to last an entire month.

theLostMiler

@ musclemania
<br />
<br />I know you disagree with a lot of cf'er on here that are "married", but you must understand that in the majority of cases, the SSD and/or SSI gets decreased b/c of marriage. And the spouses salary and/or benefits dont make up for the stuff you lose.
<br />
<br />And I dont know if you are sick enough to not know what each day will bring, hence even a part time job is out of the question.
<br />
<br />And on top of it, you can only make "so much" money before the benefits get cut even more. And in my area, I was working only like 12-16 hours a week and was still going over the amount I could make before SSI was decreased.
<br />
<br />If you are single and have no other form of support financially as far as from family or whatever, it is almost impossible. I only get by b/c of the additional help my parents give me.
<br />
<br />And I agree, the food stamps should be increased for certain cases, my amount buys like one weeks amount of food, and its supposed to last an entire month.

musclemania70

the lost miler...
I'm not sure what you mean about my disagreements with married people-nonetheless

SSD does NOT get decreased when you get married-SSI does.
And the spouses salary/benefits COULD make up for it but that's on a case by case basis.

I was also JUST barely getting by on my own (no financial help from others) with rent, utilities, and all the other NECESSARY bills that a person would incur.

The suggestions are limited. There is not much she could do if she is living on her own, working PT, and taking care of herself all alone with all the normal expenses plus those of a CF patient. Its almost impossible.

I would say do ALL the research you can in applying for assistance programs for the meds first of all.

My next suggestion is to talk to someone at the social security office who specializes in SSDI.
I was able to make over and above the monthly 'threshold or SGA' by deducting my medical expenses from my gross income. This can be difficult to calculate but it can be done if you have someone who is an expert in SSDI at your local office. Bring proof of ALL out of pocket medical expenses.
I would start there.

musclemania70

the lost miler...
I'm not sure what you mean about my disagreements with married people-nonetheless

SSD does NOT get decreased when you get married-SSI does.
And the spouses salary/benefits COULD make up for it but that's on a case by case basis.

I was also JUST barely getting by on my own (no financial help from others) with rent, utilities, and all the other NECESSARY bills that a person would incur.

The suggestions are limited. There is not much she could do if she is living on her own, working PT, and taking care of herself all alone with all the normal expenses plus those of a CF patient. Its almost impossible.

I would say do ALL the research you can in applying for assistance programs for the meds first of all.

My next suggestion is to talk to someone at the social security office who specializes in SSDI.
I was able to make over and above the monthly 'threshold or SGA' by deducting my medical expenses from my gross income. This can be difficult to calculate but it can be done if you have someone who is an expert in SSDI at your local office. Bring proof of ALL out of pocket medical expenses.
I would start there.

musclemania70

the lost miler...
<br />I'm not sure what you mean about my disagreements with married people-nonetheless
<br />
<br />SSD does NOT get decreased when you get married-SSI does.
<br />And the spouses salary/benefits COULD make up for it but that's on a case by case basis.
<br />
<br />I was also JUST barely getting by on my own (no financial help from others) with rent, utilities, and all the other NECESSARY bills that a person would incur.
<br />
<br />The suggestions are limited. There is not much she could do if she is living on her own, working PT, and taking care of herself all alone with all the normal expenses plus those of a CF patient. Its almost impossible.
<br />
<br />I would say do ALL the research you can in applying for assistance programs for the meds first of all.
<br />
<br />My next suggestion is to talk to someone at the social security office who specializes in SSDI.
<br />I was able to make over and above the monthly 'threshold or SGA' by deducting my medical expenses from my gross income. This can be difficult to calculate but it can be done if you have someone who is an expert in SSDI at your local office. Bring proof of ALL out of pocket medical expenses.
<br />I would start there.

theLostMiler

Musclemania,
I just remembered on a thread about how some cf'ers get "fake married" and that you didnt agree with that is all.

Those are great points. I was unsure about the SSD, I know that it is disability but who knows with the gov't if they could find a way to decrease it haha.

Hopefully she can do what you did as far as deducting medical expenses, and that is something I need to do as well. Thanks

theLostMiler

Musclemania,
I just remembered on a thread about how some cf'ers get "fake married" and that you didnt agree with that is all.

Those are great points. I was unsure about the SSD, I know that it is disability but who knows with the gov't if they could find a way to decrease it haha.

Hopefully she can do what you did as far as deducting medical expenses, and that is something I need to do as well. Thanks

theLostMiler

Musclemania,
<br />I just remembered on a thread about how some cf'ers get "fake married" and that you didnt agree with that is all.
<br />
<br />Those are great points. I was unsure about the SSD, I know that it is disability but who knows with the gov't if they could find a way to decrease it haha.
<br />
<br />Hopefully she can do what you did as far as deducting medical expenses, and that is something I need to do as well. Thanks

julie

Static, sounds like you've been given some pretty misguided info on CF and SSA. Check out this link for CF impairment listings: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/3.00-Respiratory-Adult.htm#3.04">http://www.ssa.gov/disability/...iratory-Adult.htm#3.04</a> Cystic fibrosis

That being said, the application process is a PITA and they deny people who CLEARLY meet the criteria. but that's where organizations like mine come in (check out www.dafcf.org)

What do you mean by this <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The minimum wage in California is $1280 a month, yet I could only get up to $1000 period. If I did a part time job and that income put me over 1000 for an extended period of time I would be cut off. </end quote></div>

here's how SSDI works cause it doesn't sound like you've been given the right info.
In 2011, if you are recieving SSDI, ANY month that you earn over $720 a month is considered a "trial working month". You have 9 trial working months in a 60 month period. In your 9 trial working months, you can earn as much money as possible, say $3,500 (example) and you would STILL GET YOUR SSDI FOR THOSE 9 "TRIAL WORKING MONTHS". After the 9 trial working months, ANY month in which you earn $1000 or MORE means you do NOT get your SSDI payment that month. So, keep your earnings at $999 a month, and you can get both your SSDI and your earnings.

But say you continue to work the job and earn $3,500 a month for 2 years, and then boom you get sick and ar in the hospital and use up all your sick time and aren't able to go back to work full time. For 60 months AFTER you begin your "9 trial work months" you can go back on SSDI benefits IF your earnings fall under the $1000 level. No new application, no new "criteria" or any of that BS. Pretty much no questions asked.

julie

Static, sounds like you've been given some pretty misguided info on CF and SSA. Check out this link for CF impairment listings: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/3.00-Respiratory-Adult.htm#3.04">http://www.ssa.gov/disability/...iratory-Adult.htm#3.04</a> Cystic fibrosis

That being said, the application process is a PITA and they deny people who CLEARLY meet the criteria. but that's where organizations like mine come in (check out www.dafcf.org)

What do you mean by this <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The minimum wage in California is $1280 a month, yet I could only get up to $1000 period. If I did a part time job and that income put me over 1000 for an extended period of time I would be cut off. </end quote>

here's how SSDI works cause it doesn't sound like you've been given the right info.
In 2011, if you are recieving SSDI, ANY month that you earn over $720 a month is considered a "trial working month". You have 9 trial working months in a 60 month period. In your 9 trial working months, you can earn as much money as possible, say $3,500 (example) and you would STILL GET YOUR SSDI FOR THOSE 9 "TRIAL WORKING MONTHS". After the 9 trial working months, ANY month in which you earn $1000 or MORE means you do NOT get your SSDI payment that month. So, keep your earnings at $999 a month, and you can get both your SSDI and your earnings.

But say you continue to work the job and earn $3,500 a month for 2 years, and then boom you get sick and ar in the hospital and use up all your sick time and aren't able to go back to work full time. For 60 months AFTER you begin your "9 trial work months" you can go back on SSDI benefits IF your earnings fall under the $1000 level. No new application, no new "criteria" or any of that BS. Pretty much no questions asked.

julie

<br />
<br />That being said, the application process is a PITA and they deny people who CLEARLY meet the criteria. but that's where organizations like mine come in (check out www.dafcf.org)
<br />
<br />What do you mean by this <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The minimum wage in California is $1280 a month, yet I could only get up to $1000 period. If I did a part time job and that income put me over 1000 for an extended period of time I would be cut off. </end quote>
<br />
<br />here's how SSDI works cause it doesn't sound like you've been given the right info.
<br />In 2011, if you are recieving SSDI, ANY month that you earn over $720 a month is considered a "trial working month". You have 9 trial working months in a 60 month period. In your 9 trial working months, you can earn as much money as possible, say $3,500 (example) and you would STILL GET YOUR SSDI FOR THOSE 9 "TRIAL WORKING MONTHS". After the 9 trial working months, ANY month in which you earn $1000 or MORE means you do NOT get your SSDI payment that month. So, keep your earnings at $999 a month, and you can get both your SSDI and your earnings.
<br />
<br />But say you continue to work the job and earn $3,500 a month for 2 years, and then boom you get sick and ar in the hospital and use up all your sick time and aren't able to go back to work full time. For 60 months AFTER you begin your "9 trial work months" you can go back on SSDI benefits IF your earnings fall under the $1000 level. No new application, no new "criteria" or any of that BS. Pretty much no questions asked.

Solo

Yea I was interested in pursuing disability, so I went through the process. I was mainly applying for my osetopenia, but having CF and CFRD doesn't help matters. Because of having really good lung function, no hospitalizations for a few years, and only taking hypersal, I wouldn't qualify solely for CF.

But I made a point to mention that because of my osteopenia, it was difficult doing the same things everyone else does. They told me to get my family doc to say I can't work because of it and fax it over. I told them I'll pass for now, but they're holding my claim open if I pursue it in the future.

Solo

Yea I was interested in pursuing disability, so I went through the process. I was mainly applying for my osetopenia, but having CF and CFRD doesn't help matters. Because of having really good lung function, no hospitalizations for a few years, and only taking hypersal, I wouldn't qualify solely for CF.

But I made a point to mention that because of my osteopenia, it was difficult doing the same things everyone else does. They told me to get my family doc to say I can't work because of it and fax it over. I told them I'll pass for now, but they're holding my claim open if I pursue it in the future.

Solo

<br />
<br />But I made a point to mention that because of my osteopenia, it was difficult doing the same things everyone else does. They told me to get my family doc to say I can't work because of it and fax it over. I told them I'll pass for now, but they're holding my claim open if I pursue it in the future.

static

Thanks Julie, I may have been given the wrong information from the social security representative but am unsure if I should try again just yet.

Is it true that you can only apply 3x and then you are cut off? I asked some of these questions to my CF social worker but she was unable to answer them.

static

Thanks Julie, I may have been given the wrong information from the social security representative but am unsure if I should try again just yet.

Is it true that you can only apply 3x and then you are cut off? I asked some of these questions to my CF social worker but she was unable to answer them.

static

<br />
<br />Is it true that you can only apply 3x and then you are cut off? I asked some of these questions to my CF social worker but she was unable to answer them.

julie

No, that's not true at all. Actually, if you are denied, I HIGHLY recommend you appeal (you have 60 days to submit an appeal) because it preserves your initial application date. Check my references on this site and my website (www.dafcf.org), I'm happy to help you with your case!

julie

No, that's not true at all. Actually, if you are denied, I HIGHLY recommend you appeal (you have 60 days to submit an appeal) because it preserves your initial application date. Check my references on this site and my website (www.dafcf.org), I'm happy to help you with your case!