Spring Time & Toddlers

hmw

My daughter is almost 8 and we just found out this past fall she has CF. She is as girly as they come, *sometimes* ... but she also has two big brothers. So that means I have pictures by the dozen of her holding frogs and toads and digging in mud and looking for salamanders and newts and turtles... (not to mention she is my gardening buddy.) Pools? SWIMMING is a problem? I have been careful to keep her away from sick kids but this is a new one on me...

*A new one on me- and really intimidating; she doesn't have PA or any of those other nastier bugs but now I have no idea what I should or shouldn't do to keep it that way.

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.

hmw

My daughter is almost 8 and we just found out this past fall she has CF. She is as girly as they come, *sometimes* ... but she also has two big brothers. So that means I have pictures by the dozen of her holding frogs and toads and digging in mud and looking for salamanders and newts and turtles... (not to mention she is my gardening buddy.) Pools? SWIMMING is a problem? I have been careful to keep her away from sick kids but this is a new one on me...

*A new one on me- and really intimidating; she doesn't have PA or any of those other nastier bugs but now I have no idea what I should or shouldn't do to keep it that way.

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />*A new one on me- and really intimidating; she doesn't have PA or any of those other nastier bugs but now I have no idea what I should or shouldn't do to keep it that way.
<br />
<br />I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.

crickit715

my doc said swimming is fine in a pool as long as the chemicals are maintained....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hmw</b></i>

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></div>

crickit715

my doc said swimming is fine in a pool as long as the chemicals are maintained....

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></div>

crickit715

crickit715

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote>

crickit715

<br />
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hmw</b></i>
<br />
<br />My daughter is almost 8 and we just found out this past fall she has CF. She is as girly as they come, *sometimes* ... but she also has two big brothers. So that means I have pictures by the dozen of her holding frogs and toads and digging in mud and looking for salamanders and newts and turtles... (not to mention she is my gardening buddy.) Pools? SWIMMING is a problem? I have been careful to keep her away from sick kids but this is a new one on me...
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />*A new one on me- and really intimidating; she doesn't have PA or any of those other nastier bugs but now I have no idea what I should or shouldn't do to keep it that way.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote>
<br />
<br />

MargaritaChic

My daughter is 16 months old and I have the same question as you about the pool. I would like to get a small one for our yard and just fill it up when she is going to use it and then wipe it down and dry it when she is down.

Emma has an appoitment at the CF center on 4/27. I will ask the doctor about the pool idea at that time and let you know what he says.

As far as dirt and rocks... I don't think you can epect your child to live in a bubble. Take the precautions that you can, but don't freak out over him getting dirty or eatting a little dirt.

It is hard being a parent. It is especially hard parenting a child with CF. Don't make yourself insane worrying. Your child can feel that anxiety. You don't want him to grow up being afraid of the world.

MargaritaChic

My daughter is 16 months old and I have the same question as you about the pool. I would like to get a small one for our yard and just fill it up when she is going to use it and then wipe it down and dry it when she is down.

Emma has an appoitment at the CF center on 4/27. I will ask the doctor about the pool idea at that time and let you know what he says.

As far as dirt and rocks... I don't think you can epect your child to live in a bubble. Take the precautions that you can, but don't freak out over him getting dirty or eatting a little dirt.

It is hard being a parent. It is especially hard parenting a child with CF. Don't make yourself insane worrying. Your child can feel that anxiety. You don't want him to grow up being afraid of the world.

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

MargaritaChic

<br />
<br />Emma has an appoitment at the CF center on 4/27. I will ask the doctor about the pool idea at that time and let you know what he says.
<br />
<br />As far as dirt and rocks... I don't think you can epect your child to live in a bubble. Take the precautions that you can, but don't freak out over him getting dirty or eatting a little dirt.
<br />
<br />It is hard being a parent. It is especially hard parenting a child with CF. Don't make yourself insane worrying. Your child can feel that anxiety. You don't want him to grow up being afraid of the world.
<br />

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>crickit715</b></i>
our doc said to avoid pools not b/c of what is in them but around them (water that gets splashed out and just sits there)

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></div></end quote></div>

ymikhale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>crickit715</b></i>
our doc said to avoid pools not b/c of what is in them but around them (water that gets splashed out and just sits there)

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></div></end quote></div>

ymikhale

ymikhale

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></end quote>

ymikhale

<br />our doc said to avoid pools not b/c of what is in them but around them (water that gets splashed out and just sits there)
<br />
<br />my doc said swimming is fine in a pool as long as the chemicals are maintained....
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hmw</b></i>
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />My daughter is almost 8 and we just found out this past fall she has CF. She is as girly as they come, *sometimes* ... but she also has two big brothers. So that means I have pictures by the dozen of her holding frogs and toads and digging in mud and looking for salamanders and newts and turtles... (not to mention she is my gardening buddy.) Pools? SWIMMING is a problem? I have been careful to keep her away from sick kids but this is a new one on me...
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></end quote>
<br />
<br />