Spring Time & Toddlers

crickit715

the reasoning behind the chemical maintenance is ..... when kids are splashing around they tend to inhale lots of water and frequently they "choke or aspirate" on the water in a pool...as the water from the pool goes into their lungs so does any bacteria that may be growing in the water...a "normal" child could cough out the bacteria and go on from there, but the bacteria tends to stick to the mucus in the lungs of a cf child, grow and cause problems.
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ymikhale</b></i>

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>crickit715</b></i>

our doc said to avoid pools not b/c of what is in them but around them (water that gets splashed out and just sits there)

my doc said swimming is fine in a pool as long as the chemicals are maintained....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hmw</b></i>

My daughter is almost 8 and we just found out this past fall she has CF. She is as girly as they come, *sometimes* ... but she also has two big brothers. So that means I have pictures by the dozen of her holding frogs and toads and digging in mud and looking for salamanders and newts and turtles... (not to mention she is my gardening buddy.) Pools? SWIMMING is a problem? I have been careful to keep her away from sick kids but this is a new one on me...

*A new one on me- and really intimidating; she doesn't have PA or any of those other nastier bugs but now I have no idea what I should or shouldn't do to keep it that way.

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></div></end quote></div></end quote></div>

crickit715

the reasoning behind the chemical maintenance is ..... when kids are splashing around they tend to inhale lots of water and frequently they "choke or aspirate" on the water in a pool...as the water from the pool goes into their lungs so does any bacteria that may be growing in the water...a "normal" child could cough out the bacteria and go on from there, but the bacteria tends to stick to the mucus in the lungs of a cf child, grow and cause problems.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>crickit715</b></i>

our doc said to avoid pools not b/c of what is in them but around them (water that gets splashed out and just sits there)

my doc said swimming is fine in a pool as long as the chemicals are maintained....

My daughter is almost 8 and we just found out this past fall she has CF. She is as girly as they come, *sometimes* ... but she also has two big brothers. So that means I have pictures by the dozen of her holding frogs and toads and digging in mud and looking for salamanders and newts and turtles... (not to mention she is my gardening buddy.) Pools? SWIMMING is a problem? I have been careful to keep her away from sick kids but this is a new one on me...

*A new one on me- and really intimidating; she doesn't have PA or any of those other nastier bugs but now I have no idea what I should or shouldn't do to keep it that way.

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></div></end quote></div></end quote></div>

crickit715

crickit715

I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></end quote></end quote>

crickit715

<br />the reasoning behind the chemical maintenance is ..... when kids are splashing around they tend to inhale lots of water and frequently they "choke or aspirate" on the water in a pool...as the water from the pool goes into their lungs so does any bacteria that may be growing in the water...a "normal" child could cough out the bacteria and go on from there, but the bacteria tends to stick to the mucus in the lungs of a cf child, grow and cause problems.
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>ymikhale</b></i>
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>crickit715</b></i>
<br />
<br />our doc said to avoid pools not b/c of what is in them but around them (water that gets splashed out and just sits there)
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />my doc said swimming is fine in a pool as long as the chemicals are maintained....
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>hmw</b></i>
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />My daughter is almost 8 and we just found out this past fall she has CF. She is as girly as they come, *sometimes* ... but she also has two big brothers. So that means I have pictures by the dozen of her holding frogs and toads and digging in mud and looking for salamanders and newts and turtles... (not to mention she is my gardening buddy.) Pools? SWIMMING is a problem? I have been careful to keep her away from sick kids but this is a new one on me...
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />*A new one on me- and really intimidating; she doesn't have PA or any of those other nastier bugs but now I have no idea what I should or shouldn't do to keep it that way.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />I wouldn't want any of my kids near any standing water (i.e. stagnant pond at the back of my property) but I've always thought of it in terms of mosquitoes and gross stuff like that, so at least I've never had her near there.</end quote></end quote></end quote>
<br />
<br />

hmw

OK, pools seem like a no-brainer then. I have always preferred the containment factor of swimming in a pool over lake swimming, too, if that would be more likely to be an issue. (You know your depth, they can't get too far away without intending to, it just seems safer for a kid without strong swimming skills.)

I am much more concerned now about little animals and mud, etc. Obviously good hand washing and hands out of the mouth would be priority but she lovessss this stuff. (And her help w/ my flower gardens has been one of my favorite things to do w/ her since she was very small.) Obviously I can do some further searching here but does this need to be a big concern too? If, God forbid, her older brother turns out to have CF, this would turn out to be a real issue for him too.

(As is probably obvious by now, we live in a very rural area; a wonderful environment for creative little kids. I've always believed in keeping them outdoors and dirty and interested in animals and nature and growing things and they LOVE this stuff.)

hmw

OK, pools seem like a no-brainer then. I have always preferred the containment factor of swimming in a pool over lake swimming, too, if that would be more likely to be an issue. (You know your depth, they can't get too far away without intending to, it just seems safer for a kid without strong swimming skills.)

I am much more concerned now about little animals and mud, etc. Obviously good hand washing and hands out of the mouth would be priority but she lovessss this stuff. (And her help w/ my flower gardens has been one of my favorite things to do w/ her since she was very small.) Obviously I can do some further searching here but does this need to be a big concern too? If, God forbid, her older brother turns out to have CF, this would turn out to be a real issue for him too.

(As is probably obvious by now, we live in a very rural area; a wonderful environment for creative little kids. I've always believed in keeping them outdoors and dirty and interested in animals and nature and growing things and they LOVE this stuff.)

hmw

hmw

hmw

<br />
<br />I am much more concerned now about little animals and mud, etc. Obviously good hand washing and hands out of the mouth would be priority but she lovessss this stuff. (And her help w/ my flower gardens has been one of my favorite things to do w/ her since she was very small.) Obviously I can do some further searching here but does this need to be a big concern too? If, God forbid, her older brother turns out to have CF, this would turn out to be a real issue for him too.
<br />
<br />(As is probably obvious by now, we live in a very rural area; a wonderful environment for creative little kids. I've always believed in keeping them outdoors and dirty and interested in animals and nature and growing things and they LOVE this stuff.)

jaimers

Super Moderator
i was diagnosed at birth but grew up in the woods playing with animals (some domestic, some not) swimming in ponds, rivers, lakes, pools etc. you name it, i've probably swam in it. played in the dirt--probably ate some at some point...my point is that my life is richer because of those memories. obviously that is a decision you and your hubs will have to make for your son at this point, but i can say that i wouldn't trade those memories and experiences for uncolonized PA lungs. I'm so glad my parents decided to let me have some freedom (while taking obvious normal safety precautions of course) to do regular kid stuff and chose not to treat me like having CF was completely abnormal. even though obviously we know CF is abnormal, you don't have to not live life as normally as possible just to possibly avoid bacteria.

jaimers

Super Moderator
i was diagnosed at birth but grew up in the woods playing with animals (some domestic, some not) swimming in ponds, rivers, lakes, pools etc. you name it, i've probably swam in it. played in the dirt--probably ate some at some point...my point is that my life is richer because of those memories. obviously that is a decision you and your hubs will have to make for your son at this point, but i can say that i wouldn't trade those memories and experiences for uncolonized PA lungs. I'm so glad my parents decided to let me have some freedom (while taking obvious normal safety precautions of course) to do regular kid stuff and chose not to treat me like having CF was completely abnormal. even though obviously we know CF is abnormal, you don't have to not live life as normally as possible just to possibly avoid bacteria.

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

amber682

Try to relax and let the kid be a kid. Wash their hands and try to keep the hands out of the mouth. The stuff you're worrying about him picking up in the dirt or grass, like pseudomonas, is everywhere anyway, even your tap water.

Pools are fine and great exercise! Wonderful for the chest and lungs. My clinic says as long as its not stagnant water, you're fine. We go to beaches, lakes, ponds, pools. Baby pools should be refilled daily.

amber682

Try to relax and let the kid be a kid. Wash their hands and try to keep the hands out of the mouth. The stuff you're worrying about him picking up in the dirt or grass, like pseudomonas, is everywhere anyway, even your tap water.

Pools are fine and great exercise! Wonderful for the chest and lungs. My clinic says as long as its not stagnant water, you're fine. We go to beaches, lakes, ponds, pools. Baby pools should be refilled daily.

amber682

amber682

amber682

<br />
<br />Pools are fine and great exercise! Wonderful for the chest and lungs. My clinic says as long as its not stagnant water, you're fine. We go to beaches, lakes, ponds, pools. Baby pools should be refilled daily.
<br />
<br />