SSDI, SSI, Medicare, Medicaid

dukeblue1206

My fiancee and I are just having the wedding without signing any papers making it legal. Even my CF center told me to do this so as to not lose any of my benefits. Would his parents be ok with that? My fiancee parents are religious as well. Her dad does missions work in other countries about spreading the word of Christianity, so that is really religous, and they are ok with our arrangement. They say it is ok because we are having the ceromony in the eyes of God. Whatever that means. But if it makes them happy then that is fine. I was not raised in a religous family. My family just wants me to be happy. My mom says her family would not care if they had a child with CF and had to deal with all the insurance issues of having a CF child..lol..Have him talk to his parents and see if they would be ok with just the ceromony.

dukeblue1206

My fiancee and I are just having the wedding without signing any papers making it legal. Even my CF center told me to do this so as to not lose any of my benefits. Would his parents be ok with that? My fiancee parents are religious as well. Her dad does missions work in other countries about spreading the word of Christianity, so that is really religous, and they are ok with our arrangement. They say it is ok because we are having the ceromony in the eyes of God. Whatever that means. But if it makes them happy then that is fine. I was not raised in a religous family. My family just wants me to be happy. My mom says her family would not care if they had a child with CF and had to deal with all the insurance issues of having a CF child..lol..Have him talk to his parents and see if they would be ok with just the ceromony.

dukeblue1206

dukeblue1206

dukeblue1206

theLostMiler

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>julie</b></i>

SSDI will NOT be affected

SSI WILL be affected by his income

Medicaid (after 24 months on SSDI) will NOT be affected

Medicare (if you are on it with your SSI) WILL be affected

You could do what other CFers on here have done... have a wedding, ceremony but just not sign and/or turn in the marriage license and you two are the ONLY ones who would know that.</end quote></div>

I have done more research. I am under the impression currently that

Medicaid is State/Federal and through SSI (income based)
Medicare is Federal and through SSDI (work credit based)

So now im all confused haha!

I will have to talk to him about that.

And dukeblue,

Actually we have already considered this and even talked with his families pastor, but he said that since "we werent followed the laws of the land" then technically its still not "religously" allowed. My family is the same, not religious, wants us to be happy, would be fine with us living together etc...

Also another sidenote:

I read somewhere that you couldnt even live with them... anyone else heard that?

theLostMiler

You could do what other CFers on here have done... have a wedding, ceremony but just not sign and/or turn in the marriage license and you two are the ONLY ones who would know that.</end quote></div>

And dukeblue,

Actually we have already considered this and even talked with his families pastor, but he said that since "we werent followed the laws of the land" then technically its still not "religously" allowed. My family is the same, not religious, wants us to be happy, would be fine with us living together etc...

Also another sidenote:

I read somewhere that you couldnt even live with them... anyone else heard that?

theLostMiler

And dukeblue,

Also another sidenote:

theLostMiler

You could do what other CFers on here have done... have a wedding, ceremony but just not sign and/or turn in the marriage license and you two are the ONLY ones who would know that.</end quote>

And dukeblue,

Also another sidenote:

theLostMiler

<br />
<br />SSDI will NOT be affected
<br />
<br />SSI WILL be affected by his income
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />Medicaid (after 24 months on SSDI) will NOT be affected
<br />
<br />Medicare (if you are on it with your SSI) WILL be affected
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />You could do what other CFers on here have done... have a wedding, ceremony but just not sign and/or turn in the marriage license and you two are the ONLY ones who would know that.</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />I have done more research. I am under the impression currently that
<br />
<br />Medicaid is State/Federal and through SSI (income based)
<br />Medicare is Federal and through SSDI (work credit based)
<br />
<br />So now im all confused haha!
<br />
<br />I will have to talk to him about that.
<br />
<br />And dukeblue,
<br />
<br />Actually we have already considered this and even talked with his families pastor, but he said that since "we werent followed the laws of the land" then technically its still not "religously" allowed. My family is the same, not religious, wants us to be happy, would be fine with us living together etc...
<br />
<br />
<br />Also another sidenote:
<br />
<br />I read somewhere that you couldnt even live with them... anyone else heard that?

julie

You can thank me for the confusion.... sorry about that. I switched medicaid and medicare...

It should read:
Medicare (after 24 months on SSDI) will NOT be affected
Medicaid (if you are on it with your SSI) WILL be affected

I'm going to fix the initial post now

julie

You can thank me for the confusion.... sorry about that. I switched medicaid and medicare...

It should read:

julie

It should read:

julie

It should read:

julie

<br />
<br />It should read:
<br />Medicare (after 24 months on SSDI) will NOT be affected
<br />Medicaid (if you are on it with your SSI) WILL be affected
<br />
<br />I'm going to fix the initial post now