Starting a job

RunnerErin

I have just finished my first year of college and I am starting to look into the work force. My major is elementary education, not that it matters. I was just wondering when some of you with more experience than me told your employers that you have CF or if you even told them at all??

Please let me know!!

RunnerErin

I have just finished my first year of college and I am starting to look into the work force. My major is elementary education, not that it matters. I was just wondering when some of you with more experience than me told your employers that you have CF or if you even told them at all??

Please let me know!!

RunnerErin

Please let me know!!

RunnerErin

Please let me know!!

RunnerErin

Please let me know!!

RunnerErin

Please let me know!!

kswitch

there'll come a time when you'll have to tell them. i understand the apprehension, i usually don't say anything until a few weeks into employment, but most of my jobs have been structured a little differently than what you'll be looking for.

if you already have the job, then i suggest telling them as soon as possible. if you don't, do you think disclosure will affect you're chances at getting the job? if not, disclose right away. if so, i would wait until you have the job, then disclose asap.

with most of my jobs, cf might be seen as inabilty to do the work, even though it isn't. that's why i wait to prove myself before i clue them in. i would hope that your degree would speak for itself, and you should feel safer being up front with prospective employers. if kids are involved, any amount of deception, even if it's legitimate, might come acrossed against your favor.

kswitch

there'll come a time when you'll have to tell them. i understand the apprehension, i usually don't say anything until a few weeks into employment, but most of my jobs have been structured a little differently than what you'll be looking for.

if you already have the job, then i suggest telling them as soon as possible. if you don't, do you think disclosure will affect you're chances at getting the job? if not, disclose right away. if so, i would wait until you have the job, then disclose asap.

with most of my jobs, cf might be seen as inabilty to do the work, even though it isn't. that's why i wait to prove myself before i clue them in. i would hope that your degree would speak for itself, and you should feel safer being up front with prospective employers. if kids are involved, any amount of deception, even if it's legitimate, might come acrossed against your favor.

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

kswitch

summer732

I had this exact same dilemma when I graduated a year ago. To tell or not to tell.

I ended up not saying anything on my interviews. I figured that is a personal matter and would not affect my job performance. I started working at a great company in June of last year. In August, only 3 months after I started, I was hospitalized with pneumonia. As soon as I found out that i had to go into the hospital I called up my manager and explained my CF and Transplant to her. She was shocked, but said she understood why I didn't say anything until now. She then asked how I wanted to proceed since people would be wondering why I was on a Leave of Absence. I told her to be honest and say the truth. That way there were no rumors or speculation.

Looking back now, I probably would have told my manager sooner. Everyone here is very supportive whenever I have a doctor's appointment and they have not held this against me in anyway.

I would feel the situation out once you are hired somewhere.

summer732

I had this exact same dilemma when I graduated a year ago. To tell or not to tell.

I ended up not saying anything on my interviews. I figured that is a personal matter and would not affect my job performance. I started working at a great company in June of last year. In August, only 3 months after I started, I was hospitalized with pneumonia. As soon as I found out that i had to go into the hospital I called up my manager and explained my CF and Transplant to her. She was shocked, but said she understood why I didn't say anything until now. She then asked how I wanted to proceed since people would be wondering why I was on a Leave of Absence. I told her to be honest and say the truth. That way there were no rumors or speculation.

Looking back now, I probably would have told my manager sooner. Everyone here is very supportive whenever I have a doctor's appointment and they have not held this against me in anyway.

summer732

summer732

summer732

summer732

blondelawyer

I was just read an article on the CFF website about this:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/InWorkplace/CFInTheWorkplace%2Epdf
">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFil...FInTheWorkplace%2Epdf
</a>
It really is a personal decision. My husband doesn't tell his employers generally and that is the way he wants to do it. Others on this board tell anyone and everyone that they have CF--so you will probably get a lot of different opinions. When it comes down to it, you will have to do what is right for you.

Good luck!

blondelawyer

I was just read an article on the CFF website about this:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/UploadedFiles/LivingWithCF/InWorkplace/CFInTheWorkplace%2Epdf
">http://www.cff.org/UploadedFil...FInTheWorkplace%2Epdf
</a>
It really is a personal decision. My husband doesn't tell his employers generally and that is the way he wants to do it. Others on this board tell anyone and everyone that they have CF--so you will probably get a lot of different opinions. When it comes down to it, you will have to do what is right for you.

Good luck!