This makes me feel very sad

kmaried

Oh!! I forgot to mention - in response to Nicole - I have read that being a CF carrier means you are resistant to cholera. Basically they found that CF carriers actually have a reduced number of correctly functioning chloride channels and as a result, they did not die of dehydration during the Black Plague during the Middle Ages in Europe. As a result, the 'natural seleciton' process actually significantly increased the occurance of CF in those with European descent. Otherwise, it'd be as uncommon in Europeans as it is in other ethnicities.

So... moral of my story is... if we successfully manage to weed CF out of existance, the human race is screwed when the next Plague hits.

(I'm totally kidding around here!)

Kris

25 fwCF and some other stuff besides

kmaried

Oh!! I forgot to mention - in response to Nicole - I have read that being a CF carrier means you are resistant to cholera. Basically they found that CF carriers actually have a reduced number of correctly functioning chloride channels and as a result, they did not die of dehydration during the Black Plague during the Middle Ages in Europe. As a result, the 'natural seleciton' process actually significantly increased the occurance of CF in those with European descent. Otherwise, it'd be as uncommon in Europeans as it is in other ethnicities.

So... moral of my story is... if we successfully manage to weed CF out of existance, the human race is screwed when the next Plague hits.

Kris

kmaried

Kris

kmaried

Kris

kmaried

<br />
<br />So... moral of my story is... if we successfully manage to weed CF out of existance, the human race is screwed when the next Plague hits.
<br />
<br />(I'm totally kidding around here!)
<br />
<br />Kris
<br />
<br />25 fwCF and some other stuff besides
<br />
<br />

AbbysMama

This is a most interesting topic.

Ok, we went the slow-boat-to-China route for prenatal testing. I had the carrier screening done (it wasn't covered by my insurance during my 1st pregnancy) and I came back a carrier. We then decided to have DH carrier tested and he came back a carrier.

We struggled with the idea of having an amnio done to confirm if Abby would have CF, but we decided to anyway. We knew that regardless of the outcome, we were going to have her. We found out in May of '06 that Abby would have CF.

We felt like knowing gave us the ability to really work on PRE-preventative care. We were able to educate family that were willing to listen about CF, we were able to make some family decisions (me staying home for a year, and moving) that would have been incredibly difficult had we not known until she was born, or worse yet, until she had symptoms later.

We didn't want to live in denial and we wanted to be acutely aware of what we needed to do for her.

To me, that is the BEST reason to have an amnio done. For me the benefits truly outweighed the risks of having the test done.

As far as dealing with aborting fetuses with CF, I'm not sure I could do it. Life throws a lot of curve balls at you. Dealing with a terminally ill child is a devistating prospect. I know of a couple because she had just turned 40 who decided after having an amnio done that they would abort the fetus if the results showed any abnormalities. They weren't willing to put their relationship through it. They already had a 12 year old daughter, so it wasn't like it was going to be their first child.

I wonder if the perception is different when a couple (or woman) is having their first child considers having an abortion? Based on my limited research, women and couples are more likely to abort a first child than a subsequent child.

This is amazingly interesting.

Emily

AbbysMama

Ok, we went the slow-boat-to-China route for prenatal testing. I had the carrier screening done (it wasn't covered by my insurance during my 1st pregnancy) and I came back a carrier. We then decided to have DH carrier tested and he came back a carrier.

We struggled with the idea of having an amnio done to confirm if Abby would have CF, but we decided to anyway. We knew that regardless of the outcome, we were going to have her. We found out in May of '06 that Abby would have CF.

We felt like knowing gave us the ability to really work on PRE-preventative care. We were able to educate family that were willing to listen about CF, we were able to make some family decisions (me staying home for a year, and moving) that would have been incredibly difficult had we not known until she was born, or worse yet, until she had symptoms later.

We didn't want to live in denial and we wanted to be acutely aware of what we needed to do for her.

To me, that is the BEST reason to have an amnio done. For me the benefits truly outweighed the risks of having the test done.

As far as dealing with aborting fetuses with CF, I'm not sure I could do it. Life throws a lot of curve balls at you. Dealing with a terminally ill child is a devistating prospect. I know of a couple because she had just turned 40 who decided after having an amnio done that they would abort the fetus if the results showed any abnormalities. They weren't willing to put their relationship through it. They already had a 12 year old daughter, so it wasn't like it was going to be their first child.

I wonder if the perception is different when a couple (or woman) is having their first child considers having an abortion? Based on my limited research, women and couples are more likely to abort a first child than a subsequent child.

Emily

AbbysMama

Emily

AbbysMama

Emily

AbbysMama

<br />
<br />Ok, we went the slow-boat-to-China route for prenatal testing. I had the carrier screening done (it wasn't covered by my insurance during my 1st pregnancy) and I came back a carrier. We then decided to have DH carrier tested and he came back a carrier.
<br />
<br />We struggled with the idea of having an amnio done to confirm if Abby would have CF, but we decided to anyway. We knew that regardless of the outcome, we were going to have her. We found out in May of '06 that Abby would have CF.
<br />
<br />We felt like knowing gave us the ability to really work on PRE-preventative care. We were able to educate family that were willing to listen about CF, we were able to make some family decisions (me staying home for a year, and moving) that would have been incredibly difficult had we not known until she was born, or worse yet, until she had symptoms later.
<br />
<br />We didn't want to live in denial and we wanted to be acutely aware of what we needed to do for her.
<br />
<br />To me, that is the BEST reason to have an amnio done. For me the benefits truly outweighed the risks of having the test done.
<br />
<br />As far as dealing with aborting fetuses with CF, I'm not sure I could do it. Life throws a lot of curve balls at you. Dealing with a terminally ill child is a devistating prospect. I know of a couple because she had just turned 40 who decided after having an amnio done that they would abort the fetus if the results showed any abnormalities. They weren't willing to put their relationship through it. They already had a 12 year old daughter, so it wasn't like it was going to be their first child.
<br />
<br />I wonder if the perception is different when a couple (or woman) is having their first child considers having an abortion? Based on my limited research, women and couples are more likely to abort a first child than a subsequent child.
<br />
<br />This is amazingly interesting.
<br />
<br />Emily
<br />
<br />

kclynn87

yep thats messed up. you shouldnt pick and choose which kids you will have. leave that to God. i mean you could have a healthy baby and later it could get cancer.
thank God my mom didnt ABORT me

kclynn87

yep thats messed up. you shouldnt pick and choose which kids you will have. leave that to God. i mean you could have a healthy baby and later it could get cancer.

kclynn87

kclynn87

kclynn87

<br />thank God my mom didnt ABORT me

Emily65Roses

JW212, what I do for airway clearance? When I was living away at college, I relied on exercise alone (though I went every day of the week).

Now that I'm home, I still exercise (about twice a week), and my fiance does manual therapy on me for half an hour every night. I tried the other methods and none of them thrilled me.

Emily65Roses

JW212, what I do for airway clearance? When I was living away at college, I relied on exercise alone (though I went every day of the week).

Now that I'm home, I still exercise (about twice a week), and my fiance does manual therapy on me for half an hour every night. I tried the other methods and none of them thrilled me.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

<br />
<br />Now that I'm home, I still exercise (about twice a week), and my fiance does manual therapy on me for half an hour every night. I tried the other methods and none of them thrilled me.