To take the 1 in 4 chance?

froggymama

I agree. Adoption is a wonderful alternative. If we can afford it someday, we'd love to give our daughter a sibling. There are sooooo many amazing children out there waiting for mommies and daddies. We wanted to adopt before our daughter was born, now we have an even greater incentive. It's true there is a risk in any pregnancy. But 25% is too high for us.

froggymama

I agree. Adoption is a wonderful alternative. If we can afford it someday, we'd love to give our daughter a sibling. There are sooooo many amazing children out there waiting for mommies and daddies. We wanted to adopt before our daughter was born, now we have an even greater incentive. It's true there is a risk in any pregnancy. But 25% is too high for us.

shamrock

Personally, having gone through end stage cf once before, I ****think**** I would have a child with cf.

However, this comes from me who has survived end stage cf, and it was me going through it, not someone else to whom I was helpless to help.

Losing someone you love (esp a child as it goes against laws of nature) is possibly one of the HARDEST things you can go through.

I speak from my own experiences, and not from the perspective of a parent of a child with cf.

Just <u><i><b>my </b></i></u> two cents..

shamrock

Personally, having gone through end stage cf once before, I ****think**** I would have a child with cf.

However, this comes from me who has survived end stage cf, and it was me going through it, not someone else to whom I was helpless to help.

Losing someone you love (esp a child as it goes against laws of nature) is possibly one of the HARDEST things you can go through.

I speak from my own experiences, and not from the perspective of a parent of a child with cf.

shamrock

lilismom

I think I would go the IVF with PGD route if we wanted another child. We didn't need to make the hard decision since Lili was dx'd after Mia was born. I'm sure this is a very difficult decision to make so I wish you all the best.

lilismom

I think I would go the IVF with PGD route if we wanted another child. We didn't need to make the hard decision since Lili was dx'd after Mia was born. I'm sure this is a very difficult decision to make so I wish you all the best.

lilismom

lilismom

lilismom

U

usedtobeinca

Looks like this post has been around a while - but as one of the newbies I wanted to join in. Very interesting (and sobering) perspectives. My wife and I have begun sniffing around at the prospect of expanding our family. No answer yet though we're leaning toward a 'go' maybe next year working closely with our CF team (as they'd requested that we do).

This may have already been posted, but I like Dr. Warwick's test for determining whether you're ready.

From "MY THOUGHTS ABOUT LIVING WITH CYSTIC FIBROSIS, APRIL 14, 2006"

"...There is another problem faced by young parents perhaps summed up as
What about having another child now that we have a child with cystic fibrosis."
There is no shortage of unsolicited advice concerning what ought to be only a family question and decision. My simple advice is only to the family.
1. Now that you know your child's diagnosis put your plans for another child
aside for two years.
2. After two years ask yourselves: "Can we take care of two children with CF?
3. If the answer is "No", then you may decide not to risk another pregnancy or to
try another year or two of care for your child.
4. If the answer is "Yes", then answer my second question: Would you want to
take care of a second child with CF?
5. If your answer is "No", then perhaps you will need another year or two of care
of your child and then ask again.
6. If you answer both questions "Yes", then go ahead with your family and be
certain that emotionally and morally you are on solid ground..."

The article link is: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.muko-l.ownspace.de/WW_Thoughts_On_CF.pdf">http://www.muko-l.ownspace.de/WW_Thoughts_On_CF.pdf</a>

U

usedtobeinca

Looks like this post has been around a while - but as one of the newbies I wanted to join in. Very interesting (and sobering) perspectives. My wife and I have begun sniffing around at the prospect of expanding our family. No answer yet though we're leaning toward a 'go' maybe next year working closely with our CF team (as they'd requested that we do).

This may have already been posted, but I like Dr. Warwick's test for determining whether you're ready.

There is no shortage of unsolicited advice concerning what ought to be only a family question and decision. My simple advice is only to the family.
aside for two years.
3. If the answer is "No", then you may decide not to risk another pregnancy or to
5. If your answer is "No", then perhaps you will need another year or two of care

The article link is: <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.muko-l.ownspace.de/WW_Thoughts_On_CF.pdf">http://www.muko-l.ownspace.de/WW_Thoughts_On_CF.pdf</a>

U

usedtobeinca

aside for two years.

U

usedtobeinca

aside for two years.

U

usedtobeinca

aside for two years.