When you thought about having children what did you do?

spacemom

Did you tell your partner they would have to take the Ambry tests?
What was their reaction?

If your partner was totally mutation free, how did you feel about generating a CF carrier?
Will you alert them about their condition before they plan having children?

And if your partner turned out to be a carrier, how did you go on with it?
Is there an in vitro way of selecting their good gene?
How can one be sure one is not generating a CF patient?

Is there anyone who plain chose to not have biologic kids? Did anyone adopt?

These Qs are obviously directed to CFers. I'd appreciate your insights. My heart goes out to ya all.

spacemom

What was their reaction?

If your partner was totally mutation free, how did you feel about generating a CF carrier?

These Qs are obviously directed to CFers. I'd appreciate your insights. My heart goes out to ya all.

spacemom

What was their reaction?

spacemom

What was their reaction?

spacemom

What was their reaction?

spacemom

What was their reaction?

NoExcuses

I chose not to have children because for me, I will not bring a child into this world that I can't give my everything to.

CF (a disease I know that I have.... not something that <i> may </i> happen to me in the future) will take time away from my child. Not just in a mild way but in a big way.

So i have decided to be selfless, think outside myself and not just about what I want, and not have children.

NoExcuses

I chose not to have children because for me, I will not bring a child into this world that I can't give my everything to.

CF (a disease I know that I have.... not something that <i> may </i> happen to me in the future) will take time away from my child. Not just in a mild way but in a big way.

So i have decided to be selfless, think outside myself and not just about what I want, and not have children.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

LouLou

I did not know about Ambry testing at the time only "cf carrier testing" and yes, I told him that before we got our hopes up of having a child we would need to get him tested
as well as evaluate my health for whether I would 1) be capable of healthily carrying a child and 2) be healthy enough to have a fighting chance to see my child off to college
college.

What was their reaction?
"I'm not a carrier. It doesn't run in my family (even though he knew I was the first in my fam with cf)" and also he said, "Lauren I'm marrrying you for you and not your child
bearing abilities." These discussions were something we discussed in late courtship / early engagement. I didn't want to marry someone who I would let down by not bearing
children. I couldn't make any promises.

Just about a non-issue.

Absolutely. They will learn about cf from an early age and understand the mutation they carry just like they will know other family lineage information.

He wasn't a carrier through an 89 mutation Genzyme test so we carried on with our pursuit for a child. During 1st trimester we learned our child has a 1 in 500 chance of
having cf since we didn't do Ambry or Quest's extensive panel. Son will be tested through Ambry extensively. DH will be tested through Ambry should we pursue add'l
children through my uterus.

Yes, PGD

With spontaneous mutations I don't know if it's ever possible to be 100% sure. If so, it would be through PGD...otherwise there's always the risk of spontaneous mut's or a
new, un-id'ed mut.

Many cfers choose not to have children. A) They didn't think they'd be alive and can't fathom it or want it. B) They are not in good health and respectfully follow dr's orders not to conceive or C) have issues with any parent with a life shortening disease bearing their own child. or D) Think parents should not have "illness" and expose the child to the pain & suffering of losing a parent.

Yes, many cfers have adopted. Beth Suffian, CF lawyer with cf is a well known example as well as "Allie" & Ry (with cf) on this site. Ry has passed away from cf.

LouLou

I did not know about Ambry testing at the time only "cf carrier testing" and yes, I told him that before we got our hopes up of having a child we would need to get him tested
as well as evaluate my health for whether I would 1) be capable of healthily carrying a child and 2) be healthy enough to have a fighting chance to see my child off to college
college.

What was their reaction?
"I'm not a carrier. It doesn't run in my family (even though he knew I was the first in my fam with cf)" and also he said, "Lauren I'm marrrying you for you and not your child
bearing abilities." These discussions were something we discussed in late courtship / early engagement. I didn't want to marry someone who I would let down by not bearing

Just about a non-issue.

Absolutely. They will learn about cf from an early age and understand the mutation they carry just like they will know other family lineage information.

He wasn't a carrier through an 89 mutation Genzyme test so we carried on with our pursuit for a child. During 1st trimester we learned our child has a 1 in 500 chance of
having cf since we didn't do Ambry or Quest's extensive panel. Son will be tested through Ambry extensively. DH will be tested through Ambry should we pursue add'l

Yes, PGD

With spontaneous mutations I don't know if it's ever possible to be 100% sure. If so, it would be through PGD...otherwise there's always the risk of spontaneous mut's or a
new, un-id'ed mut.

Many cfers choose not to have children. A) They didn't think they'd be alive and can't fathom it or want it. B) They are not in good health and respectfully follow dr's orders not to conceive or C) have issues with any parent with a life shortening disease bearing their own child. or D) Think parents should not have "illness" and expose the child to the pain & suffering of losing a parent.

Yes, many cfers have adopted. Beth Suffian, CF lawyer with cf is a well known example as well as "Allie" & Ry (with cf) on this site. Ry has passed away from cf.

LouLou

college.

What was their reaction?

Just about a non-issue.

Yes, PGD

new, un-id'ed mut.

LouLou

college.

What was their reaction?

Just about a non-issue.

Yes, PGD

new, un-id'ed mut.

LouLou

college.

What was their reaction?

Just about a non-issue.

Yes, PGD

new, un-id'ed mut.

LouLou

college.

What was their reaction?

Just about a non-issue.

Yes, PGD

new, un-id'ed mut.

spacemom

sakasuka, how can i put this.... I ADMIRE you. That decision was very noble of you. I hope something like a miracle happens, a cure found soon and you could still be a parent. Now off to find some kleenex

spacemom

sakasuka, how can i put this.... I ADMIRE you. That decision was very noble of you. I hope something like a miracle happens, a cure found soon and you could still be a parent. Now off to find some kleenex