Will know on the 10th of this month...But I think I was right :)

CowTown

I have a funny story of how sometimes the doctor's minds just aren't taught to think outside the Western Box. I had kidney failure once for what they thought was because I took too much advil on a consistent basis for years. The reason I took it so often was because my back always hurt, aches & pains (I also have Sculeosis), whatever. Now that I can not take advil, which I think is a wonder drug (obviously), they now have given me a narcotic pain pill which isn't suppose to effect my kidneys. Well, I certainly shouldn't take a narcotic everyday, 2x a day for the rest of my life, but they don't know what else to do. So they asked me, "what are we going to do about your back pain?" I told them, "give me a perscription for a deep tissue massage, acupuncture treatments or a chiropractor." They said, Oh, okay. They don't always think about what the problem is or treating the problem, just the symptoms. It was amazing how they were at the end of their knowledge base for my back. Anyways, this is just another thought to justify looking into your own alternative methods because there have to be a ton of things other than what we're already doing that will help! For the record, I completely respect my doctors and all that they have done for me! How can you not?! They do rock in their own way.

CowTown

I have a funny story of how sometimes the doctor's minds just aren't taught to think outside the Western Box. I had kidney failure once for what they thought was because I took too much advil on a consistent basis for years. The reason I took it so often was because my back always hurt, aches & pains (I also have Sculeosis), whatever. Now that I can not take advil, which I think is a wonder drug (obviously), they now have given me a narcotic pain pill which isn't suppose to effect my kidneys. Well, I certainly shouldn't take a narcotic everyday, 2x a day for the rest of my life, but they don't know what else to do. So they asked me, "what are we going to do about your back pain?" I told them, "give me a perscription for a deep tissue massage, acupuncture treatments or a chiropractor." They said, Oh, okay. They don't always think about what the problem is or treating the problem, just the symptoms. It was amazing how they were at the end of their knowledge base for my back. Anyways, this is just another thought to justify looking into your own alternative methods because there have to be a ton of things other than what we're already doing that will help! For the record, I completely respect my doctors and all that they have done for me! How can you not?! They do rock in their own way.

anonymous

Yep i fully agree that the rate with which doctors prescribe pills these days is ridiculous, it seems there is a pill for everything, and if one gives you side effects, well hell they've got another pill you can take to fix that problem and if that causes any grief, well whaddya know theres a substance you can inhale or poke up your bottom to fix that one too...and so it goes. all these chemicals just can't be good for the body.
But, in their defence i think it partly stems from the fact that people these days live busy, stressful lives and when they get sick, they want a quick fix. The over-prescribing of anitibotics these days has largely been put down to the fact that if a patient leaves the doctor's surgery without some sort of medication to fix them, they feel ripped off. They don't want to pay to see a doctor who just says 'go home and get some rest, it will pass', they want some bang for their buck. Hence the amount of antibiotics prescribed to treat the common cold or some other virus. The doctor knows full well that unless the patient has come down with a secondary bacterial infection, those pills he prescribed the patient are going to do sweet little to make them feel better if it's a virus they've got....but if the patient walks out with a prescription he's happy and the doctor 'appears' to have done his job.
I think they need to tighten up policies on the prescription of antibiotics so that the likes of us who genuinely need them can still get some benefit from them, instead of the bugs getting smarter and the drugs becoming useless over time.

Kat (37 with CF, NZ)

anonymous

Yep i fully agree that the rate with which doctors prescribe pills these days is ridiculous, it seems there is a pill for everything, and if one gives you side effects, well hell they've got another pill you can take to fix that problem and if that causes any grief, well whaddya know theres a substance you can inhale or poke up your bottom to fix that one too...and so it goes. all these chemicals just can't be good for the body.
But, in their defence i think it partly stems from the fact that people these days live busy, stressful lives and when they get sick, they want a quick fix. The over-prescribing of anitibotics these days has largely been put down to the fact that if a patient leaves the doctor's surgery without some sort of medication to fix them, they feel ripped off. They don't want to pay to see a doctor who just says 'go home and get some rest, it will pass', they want some bang for their buck. Hence the amount of antibiotics prescribed to treat the common cold or some other virus. The doctor knows full well that unless the patient has come down with a secondary bacterial infection, those pills he prescribed the patient are going to do sweet little to make them feel better if it's a virus they've got....but if the patient walks out with a prescription he's happy and the doctor 'appears' to have done his job.
I think they need to tighten up policies on the prescription of antibiotics so that the likes of us who genuinely need them can still get some benefit from them, instead of the bugs getting smarter and the drugs becoming useless over time.

Kat (37 with CF, NZ)

thelizardqueen

That's why I'm thankful that I've only been on IV once. When my CF does progress into worse stages, I have a multitude of IV drugs that I'll be able to use. As well, I've never used any sulpha bases drugs, so I'll be able to go on those before I'll have to go on IV.

thelizardqueen

That's why I'm thankful that I've only been on IV once. When my CF does progress into worse stages, I have a multitude of IV drugs that I'll be able to use. As well, I've never used any sulpha bases drugs, so I'll be able to go on those before I'll have to go on IV.

JazzysMom

Kelly...the muscles in the back thing is 100% true. Last year I had terrible airway issues. Nothing that was my normal CF problems. Really make my doctor worked for her money. One thing they noticed is when they did my CPT on my back that my O2 sat went up & my breathing was easier. The therapist played around a bit &B could feel a huge not in the muscle that run along my spinal column. It hurt like hell well she pushed on it. So every day I got a massage as part of my therapy for the day. It worked wonders & still to this day if I am having a problem I will have my husband concentrate on that area & as soon as be pushes I feel it. I have always had different muscular & back problems, but none that affected my breathing like this~

JazzysMom

Kelly...the muscles in the back thing is 100% true. Last year I had terrible airway issues. Nothing that was my normal CF problems. Really make my doctor worked for her money. One thing they noticed is when they did my CPT on my back that my O2 sat went up & my breathing was easier. The therapist played around a bit &B could feel a huge not in the muscle that run along my spinal column. It hurt like hell well she pushed on it. So every day I got a massage as part of my therapy for the day. It worked wonders & still to this day if I am having a problem I will have my husband concentrate on that area & as soon as be pushes I feel it. I have always had different muscular & back problems, but none that affected my breathing like this~

anonymous

Hi my name is Rich I am 35 w/ CF. I'm in Phoenix, AZ
I noticed the things you were saying about these oregano oils. I'm always trying new things but havent really found anything thats worked that great. The last thing I did was Ambrotose with not much noticeable results. I would like to get more info as to what these olis are, where to get them and how exactly to use them. You also mentioned something about monolaurin is that something different than the oils and do you take them together? I look forward to hearing from you. Can you please write me at richzandlo@cox.net

anonymous

Hi my name is Rich I am 35 w/ CF. I'm in Phoenix, AZ
I noticed the things you were saying about these oregano oils. I'm always trying new things but havent really found anything thats worked that great. The last thing I did was Ambrotose with not much noticeable results. I would like to get more info as to what these olis are, where to get them and how exactly to use them. You also mentioned something about monolaurin is that something different than the oils and do you take them together? I look forward to hearing from you. Can you please write me at richzandlo@cox.net

Faust

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>Anonymous</b></i><br>Hi my name is Rich I am 35 w/ CF. I'm in Phoenix, AZ

I noticed the things you were saying about these oregano oils. I'm always trying new things but havent really found anything thats worked that great. The last thing I did was Ambrotose with not much noticeable results. I would like to get more info as to what these olis are, where to get them and how exactly to use them. You also mentioned something about monolaurin is that something different than the oils and do you take them together? I look forward to hearing from you. Can you please write me at richzandlo@cox.net<hr></blockquote>

Here ya go:

(good FAQ)
http://www.thepowermall.com/oreganoproducts/faq.htm#1

Information from one of the natural medical databases I belong to (though doesn't emphasize CF application, and is about oregano in general, not sure if it's discussing oreganum vulgare - the plant that we take the oil from):

OREGANO

Also Known As: return to top
Carvacrol, Dostenkraut, European Oregano, Mediterranean Oregano, Mountain Mint, Oil of Oregano, Oregano Oil, Organy, Origani vulgaris herba, Origano, Origanum, Phytoprogestin, Wild Marjoram, Winter Marjoram, Wintersweet.
CAUTION: See separate listing for Marjoram.
Scientific Name: return to top
Origanum vulgare.
Family: Lamiaceae/Labiatae.
People Use This For: return to top
Orally, oregano is used for respiratory tract disorders such as coughs, asthma, croup, and bronchitis. Oregano is also used orally for gastrointestinal disorders, such as dyspepsia and bloating. It is also used orally for dysmenorrhea, rheumatoid arthritis, urinary tract disorders including urinary tract infections (UTIs), headaches, and heart conditions. The oil of oregano is also used orally for intestinal parasites, allergies, sinusitis, arthritis, cold and flu, earaches, and fatigue.
Topically, oregano oil is used for acne, athlete's foot, dandruff, insect and spider bites, canker sores, gum disease, toothaches, psoriasis, seborrhea, ringworm, rosacea, muscle pain, varicose veins, and warts. It is also used topically as an insect repellent.
In foods and beverages, oregano is used as a culinary spice and a food preservative.
Safety: return to top
LIKELY SAFE ...when used orally in amounts commonly found in foods. Oregano leaf and oil have Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) status in the US (4912).
POSSIBLY SAFE ...when used orally or topically and appropriately in medicinal amounts (12).
There is insufficient reliable information available about the safety of oregano oil when used in medicinal amounts.
PREGNANCY: POSSIBLY UNSAFE ...when used orally in medicinal amounts. Oregano is thought to have abortifacient and emmenagogue effects (19,7122).
LACTATION: There is insufficient reliable information available about the safety of oregano when used in medicinal amounts while nursing.
Effectiveness: return to top
POSSIBLY EFFECTIVE
Intestinal parasitic infection. Taking the emulsified oil of oregano orally 200 mg three times daily for 6 weeks can eradicate the parasites Blastocystis hominis, Entamoeba hartmanni, and Endolimax nana from the stools of infected patients (6878).
There is insufficient reliable information available about the effectiveness of oregano for its other uses.
Mechanism of Action: return to top
The applicable part of oregano is the leaf and oil. Oregano contains the constituents carvacrol and thymol which have anthelmintic, fungicidal, and irritant properties (2129). The essential oil is thought to have diuretic, expectorant, and antispasmodic properties. It might also stimulate bile production (11). Oregano oil also has in vitro activity against a variety of common gram positive and gram negative organisms, including Acinetobacter calcoacetica, Enterococcus faecalis, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella species, Serratia marcescens, Staphylococcus aureus, and the yeast Candida albicans (316,2129,2130,3702,3703,3704). The carvacrol and thymol constituents also inhibit bacterial growth, with additive or possibly synergistic activity in oregano oil (2130). Carvacrol has a bacteriocidal effect on Bacillus cereus, a common food pathogen, by altering bacterial membrane permeability (165). Oregano oil seems to inhibit the growth intestinal parasites in vivo (6878). There is preliminary evidence that oregano may contain phytoprogestins that bind the progesterone receptor (3701).
Adverse Reactions: return to top
Orally, large amounts of oregano can cause gastrointestinal upset. Concentrated, non-emulsified oil of oregano can cause localized irritation of the gastrointestinal tract (6878). Oregano might also cause systemic allergic reactions (3705). Individuals allergic to Lamiaceae family plants including basil, hyssop, lavender, marjoram, mint, and sage, might also demonstrate an allergic reaction to oregano (3705).
Interactions with Herbs & Supplements: return to top
None known.
Interactions with Drugs: return to top
None known.
Interactions with Foods: return to top
None known.
Interactions with Lab Tests: return to top
None known.
Interactions with Diseases or Conditions: return to top
CROSS-ALLERGENICITY: Oregano can cause reactions in people allergic to Lamiaceae family plants, including basil, hyssop, lavender, marjoram, mint, and sage (3705).
Dosage/Administration: return to top
ORAL: For intestinal parasitic infection, emulsified oil of oregano has been used in a dose of 200 mg three times daily for 6 weeks (6878). Traditionally, a typical dose is one cup of tea. To make tea, steep 1 heaping teaspoon of leaf in 250 mL boiling water 10 minutes, strain. Tea may be sweetened with honey (18).
TOPICAL: No typical dosage. Traditionally, unsweetened tea is used as a gargle or mouthwash (18). To use oregano as a bath additive, steep 100 grams dried leaf in 1 L water for 10 minutes, strain, and add to a full bath (18).
Comments: return to top
Oregano oil has been tested as an insect repellent for Culicodoides imicola, a pathogen-bearing species of insects commonly known as no-see-ums or biting midges. Oregano oil is not as effective as DEET for protecting horses (and presumably, people) from C. imicola (2119).

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_7_32/ai_91563260

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/oregano.html

http://www.ghchealth.com/oil-of-oregano-benefits.php

http://www.vrp.com/art/1185.asp

http://www.bytheplanet.com/Neem/WhatIsNeem/thewonderoils.htm

Faust

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>Anonymous</b></i><br>Hi my name is Rich I am 35 w/ CF. I'm in Phoenix, AZ

I noticed the things you were saying about these oregano oils. I'm always trying new things but havent really found anything thats worked that great. The last thing I did was Ambrotose with not much noticeable results. I would like to get more info as to what these olis are, where to get them and how exactly to use them. You also mentioned something about monolaurin is that something different than the oils and do you take them together? I look forward to hearing from you. Can you please write me at richzandlo@cox.net<hr></blockquote>

Here ya go:

(good FAQ)
http://www.thepowermall.com/oreganoproducts/faq.htm#1

Information from one of the natural medical databases I belong to (though doesn't emphasize CF application, and is about oregano in general, not sure if it's discussing oreganum vulgare - the plant that we take the oil from):

OREGANO

Also Known As: return to top
Carvacrol, Dostenkraut, European Oregano, Mediterranean Oregano, Mountain Mint, Oil of Oregano, Oregano Oil, Organy, Origani vulgaris herba, Origano, Origanum, Phytoprogestin, Wild Marjoram, Winter Marjoram, Wintersweet.
CAUTION: See separate listing for Marjoram.
Scientific Name: return to top
Origanum vulgare.
Family: Lamiaceae/Labiatae.
People Use This For: return to top
Orally, oregano is used for respiratory tract disorders such as coughs, asthma, croup, and bronchitis. Oregano is also used orally for gastrointestinal disorders, such as dyspepsia and bloating. It is also used orally for dysmenorrhea, rheumatoid arthritis, urinary tract disorders including urinary tract infections (UTIs), headaches, and heart conditions. The oil of oregano is also used orally for intestinal parasites, allergies, sinusitis, arthritis, cold and flu, earaches, and fatigue.
Topically, oregano oil is used for acne, athlete's foot, dandruff, insect and spider bites, canker sores, gum disease, toothaches, psoriasis, seborrhea, ringworm, rosacea, muscle pain, varicose veins, and warts. It is also used topically as an insect repellent.
In foods and beverages, oregano is used as a culinary spice and a food preservative.
Safety: return to top
LIKELY SAFE ...when used orally in amounts commonly found in foods. Oregano leaf and oil have Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) status in the US (4912).
POSSIBLY SAFE ...when used orally or topically and appropriately in medicinal amounts (12).
There is insufficient reliable information available about the safety of oregano oil when used in medicinal amounts.
PREGNANCY: POSSIBLY UNSAFE ...when used orally in medicinal amounts. Oregano is thought to have abortifacient and emmenagogue effects (19,7122).
LACTATION: There is insufficient reliable information available about the safety of oregano when used in medicinal amounts while nursing.
Effectiveness: return to top
POSSIBLY EFFECTIVE
Intestinal parasitic infection. Taking the emulsified oil of oregano orally 200 mg three times daily for 6 weeks can eradicate the parasites Blastocystis hominis, Entamoeba hartmanni, and Endolimax nana from the stools of infected patients (6878).
There is insufficient reliable information available about the effectiveness of oregano for its other uses.
Mechanism of Action: return to top
The applicable part of oregano is the leaf and oil. Oregano contains the constituents carvacrol and thymol which have anthelmintic, fungicidal, and irritant properties (2129). The essential oil is thought to have diuretic, expectorant, and antispasmodic properties. It might also stimulate bile production (11). Oregano oil also has in vitro activity against a variety of common gram positive and gram negative organisms, including Acinetobacter calcoacetica, Enterococcus faecalis, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Salmonella species, Serratia marcescens, Staphylococcus aureus, and the yeast Candida albicans (316,2129,2130,3702,3703,3704). The carvacrol and thymol constituents also inhibit bacterial growth, with additive or possibly synergistic activity in oregano oil (2130). Carvacrol has a bacteriocidal effect on Bacillus cereus, a common food pathogen, by altering bacterial membrane permeability (165). Oregano oil seems to inhibit the growth intestinal parasites in vivo (6878). There is preliminary evidence that oregano may contain phytoprogestins that bind the progesterone receptor (3701).
Adverse Reactions: return to top
Orally, large amounts of oregano can cause gastrointestinal upset. Concentrated, non-emulsified oil of oregano can cause localized irritation of the gastrointestinal tract (6878). Oregano might also cause systemic allergic reactions (3705). Individuals allergic to Lamiaceae family plants including basil, hyssop, lavender, marjoram, mint, and sage, might also demonstrate an allergic reaction to oregano (3705).
Interactions with Herbs & Supplements: return to top
None known.
Interactions with Drugs: return to top
None known.
Interactions with Foods: return to top
None known.
Interactions with Lab Tests: return to top
None known.
Interactions with Diseases or Conditions: return to top
CROSS-ALLERGENICITY: Oregano can cause reactions in people allergic to Lamiaceae family plants, including basil, hyssop, lavender, marjoram, mint, and sage (3705).
Dosage/Administration: return to top
ORAL: For intestinal parasitic infection, emulsified oil of oregano has been used in a dose of 200 mg three times daily for 6 weeks (6878). Traditionally, a typical dose is one cup of tea. To make tea, steep 1 heaping teaspoon of leaf in 250 mL boiling water 10 minutes, strain. Tea may be sweetened with honey (18).
TOPICAL: No typical dosage. Traditionally, unsweetened tea is used as a gargle or mouthwash (18). To use oregano as a bath additive, steep 100 grams dried leaf in 1 L water for 10 minutes, strain, and add to a full bath (18).
Comments: return to top
Oregano oil has been tested as an insect repellent for Culicodoides imicola, a pathogen-bearing species of insects commonly known as no-see-ums or biting midges. Oregano oil is not as effective as DEET for protecting horses (and presumably, people) from C. imicola (2119).

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_7_32/ai_91563260

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/oregano.html

http://www.ghchealth.com/oil-of-oregano-benefits.php

http://www.vrp.com/art/1185.asp

http://www.bytheplanet.com/Neem/WhatIsNeem/thewonderoils.htm

auntieofdeb

Oregano oil rocks. Hi all - I am the auntie of my adorable and perfect niece, littledebbie (hi Deb!) I would just like to add my 2 cents to the use of OO. Debbie and I have a mutual love of movies and often meet up to view and critique the latest (just ask us, we are full of opinions). Well, the other day I was waiting for her to arrive at the theater, and as I scanned the masses for a sign of her, I did see a little figure fairly flitting through the crowd. I didn't even pause to think that was her because, well, she just doesn't usually flit. But, there she was, passing up all sorts of movie patrons. Whoa. I haven't seen this much energy in many a day. Plus her skin is positively radiant. Who knows what powerful properties lurk in all the glorious stuff God has made for us? Blessings to all of you very, very special people.

auntieofdeb

Oregano oil rocks. Hi all - I am the auntie of my adorable and perfect niece, littledebbie (hi Deb!) I would just like to add my 2 cents to the use of OO. Debbie and I have a mutual love of movies and often meet up to view and critique the latest (just ask us, we are full of opinions). Well, the other day I was waiting for her to arrive at the theater, and as I scanned the masses for a sign of her, I did see a little figure fairly flitting through the crowd. I didn't even pause to think that was her because, well, she just doesn't usually flit. But, there she was, passing up all sorts of movie patrons. Whoa. I haven't seen this much energy in many a day. Plus her skin is positively radiant. Who knows what powerful properties lurk in all the glorious stuff God has made for us? Blessings to all of you very, very special people.

Faust

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>JazzysMom</b></i><br>I dont know what "flitting" means, but it sounds good. Go Deb!<hr></blockquote>

Like a hummingbird, "Flitting from flower to flower", or as a butterfly "That butterfly was flitting around".

flit Audio pronunciation of "flitting" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flt)
intr.v. flit·ted, flit·ting, flits

1. To move about rapidly and nimbly.
2. To move quickly from one condition or location to another.

Faust

<blockquote>Quote<br><hr><i>Originally posted by: <b>JazzysMom</b></i><br>I dont know what "flitting" means, but it sounds good. Go Deb!<hr></blockquote>

Like a hummingbird, "Flitting from flower to flower", or as a butterfly "That butterfly was flitting around".

flit Audio pronunciation of "flitting" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flt)
intr.v. flit·ted, flit·ting, flits

1. To move about rapidly and nimbly.
2. To move quickly from one condition or location to another.