yet another neb cleaning question

robert321

i've alway just let them air dry, as for putting them in the microwave, i don't know what it will do to the cups but it will destroy your microwave, microwaves are designed to shoot microwaves at something with mass, neb cups don't have much mass and you'll fry your microwave. its also a bad idea to boil water in the microwave cause you'll get moisture into the electronics of it, but thats completely unrelated

robert321

i've alway just let them air dry, as for putting them in the microwave, i don't know what it will do to the cups but it will destroy your microwave, microwaves are designed to shoot microwaves at something with mass, neb cups don't have much mass and you'll fry your microwave. its also a bad idea to boil water in the microwave cause you'll get moisture into the electronics of it, but thats completely unrelated

robert321

robert321

robert321

flatfordl

The problem with not drying them is that if they stay wet and don't dry properly the moisture will cause bacteria to grow.

Isn't dust made of dead skin cells? The idea of her breathing in dead skin cells freaks me out. Doesn't MRSA live on the skin of people?

Anyway, I used to air dry them to until I went to CF clinc about 6 months ago and the nurse warned me about doing so and recommended using a hair dryer to dry them. That is when I found the GermGuardian which is much easier!!

I have always used the microwave to steam her nebs and never had a problem. New microwaves are made to steam, so I am not sure how it could cause it to malfunction.

Anyway, many people do different things on here and feel very strongly about it. It's funny because we come on here for help but get too many different answers! I think it is a perfect representation about CF (no case is the same so we all have to find our own way to deal with it)

Take care,
Lynsey

flatfordl

The problem with not drying them is that if they stay wet and don't dry properly the moisture will cause bacteria to grow.

Isn't dust made of dead skin cells? The idea of her breathing in dead skin cells freaks me out. Doesn't MRSA live on the skin of people?

Anyway, I used to air dry them to until I went to CF clinc about 6 months ago and the nurse warned me about doing so and recommended using a hair dryer to dry them. That is when I found the GermGuardian which is much easier!!

I have always used the microwave to steam her nebs and never had a problem. New microwaves are made to steam, so I am not sure how it could cause it to malfunction.

Anyway, many people do different things on here and feel very strongly about it. It's funny because we come on here for help but get too many different answers! I think it is a perfect representation about CF (no case is the same so we all have to find our own way to deal with it)

Take care,
Lynsey

flatfordl

Take care,
Lynsey

flatfordl

Take care,
Lynsey

flatfordl

<br />
<br />Isn't dust made of dead skin cells? The idea of her breathing in dead skin cells freaks me out. Doesn't MRSA live on the skin of people?
<br />
<br />Anyway, I used to air dry them to until I went to CF clinc about 6 months ago and the nurse warned me about doing so and recommended using a hair dryer to dry them. That is when I found the GermGuardian which is much easier!!
<br />
<br />I have always used the microwave to steam her nebs and never had a problem. New microwaves are made to steam, so I am not sure how it could cause it to malfunction.
<br />
<br />Anyway, many people do different things on here and feel very strongly about it. It's funny because we come on here for help but get too many different answers! I think it is a perfect representation about CF (no case is the same so we all have to find our own way to deal with it)
<br />
<br />Take care,
<br />Lynsey

kitomd21

What to do, what to do? The following was taken from the CF Care Center at Stanford (<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfcenter.stanford.edu/)...it">http://cfcenter.stanford.edu/)...it</a> states that air drying IS sufficient...

Caring for your nebulizer

After each use: rinse
Remove the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part from the cup.
Remove the tubing and set it aside. The tubing should not be washed or rinsed.
Rinse the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part in warm running water for 30 seconds. Use distilled or sterile water for rinsing, if possible.
Shake off excess water. Air dry COMPLETELY on a clean cloth or paper towel.
Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together, and connect the device to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer.
Disconnect the tubing from the compressor. Store the nebulizer in a sealable plastic bag.
Place a cover over the compressor.
Once every day: wash
Wash the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part with a mild dishwashing soap and hot water. If your manufacturer's instructions allow, you may use an automatic dishwasher. Rinse well.

Once or twice a week after washing and rinsing: disinfect

Wash your hands
Read and follow the manufacturer's instructions on disinfection. If the manufacturer's instructions allow, disinfect the nebulizer using one of these options:
Boil for 5 minutes
Microwave (in water) for 5 minutes
Dishwasher (water temperature above 158º) for 30 minutes
Soak in a solution of 1 part household bleach and 50 parts water for 3 minutes
Soak in 70% isopropyl alcohol for 5 minutes
Soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 30 minutes.
Do not use a nebulizer that cannot be disinfected using one of these options.
Rinse the nebulizer parts and the eyedropper or syringe under warm running water for 1 minute. Use sterile water for the last rinse. To make sterile water, boil it for 5 minutes. (If you disinfect by boiling, you do not need to rinse the nebulizer.)
Shake off the water and air dry COMPLETELY on a clean cloth or paper towel.
Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together, and connect the device to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer thoroughly.
Disconnect the tubing from the compressor. Store the nebulizer in a sealable plastic bag.
Clean the surface of the compressor with a well-wrung, soapy cloth or sponge. You could also use an alcohol or disinfectant wipe. NEVER PUT THE COMPRESSOR IN WATER.

kitomd21

What to do, what to do? The following was taken from the CF Care Center at Stanford (<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cfcenter.stanford.edu/)...it">http://cfcenter.stanford.edu/)...it</a> states that air drying IS sufficient...

Rinse the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part in warm running water for 30 seconds. Use distilled or sterile water for rinsing, if possible.
Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together, and connect the device to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer.
Wash the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part with a mild dishwashing soap and hot water. If your manufacturer's instructions allow, you may use an automatic dishwasher. Rinse well.

Wash your hands
Read and follow the manufacturer's instructions on disinfection. If the manufacturer's instructions allow, disinfect the nebulizer using one of these options:
Boil for 5 minutes
Rinse the nebulizer parts and the eyedropper or syringe under warm running water for 1 minute. Use sterile water for the last rinse. To make sterile water, boil it for 5 minutes. (If you disinfect by boiling, you do not need to rinse the nebulizer.)
Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together, and connect the device to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer thoroughly.
Clean the surface of the compressor with a well-wrung, soapy cloth or sponge. You could also use an alcohol or disinfectant wipe. NEVER PUT THE COMPRESSOR IN WATER.

kitomd21

Wash your hands
Boil for 5 minutes

kitomd21

Wash your hands
Boil for 5 minutes

kitomd21

<br />
<br />Caring for your nebulizer
<br />
<br />After each use: rinse
<br />Remove the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part from the cup.
<br />Remove the tubing and set it aside. The tubing should not be washed or rinsed.
<br />Rinse the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part in warm running water for 30 seconds. Use distilled or sterile water for rinsing, if possible.
<br />Shake off excess water. Air dry COMPLETELY on a clean cloth or paper towel.
<br />Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together, and connect the device to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer.
<br />Disconnect the tubing from the compressor. Store the nebulizer in a sealable plastic bag.
<br />Place a cover over the compressor.
<br />Once every day: wash
<br />Wash the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part with a mild dishwashing soap and hot water. If your manufacturer's instructions allow, you may use an automatic dishwasher. Rinse well.
<br />
<br />Once or twice a week after washing and rinsing: disinfect
<br />
<br />Wash your hands
<br />Read and follow the manufacturer's instructions on disinfection. If the manufacturer's instructions allow, disinfect the nebulizer using one of these options:
<br />Boil for 5 minutes
<br />Microwave (in water) for 5 minutes
<br />Dishwasher (water temperature above 158º) for 30 minutes
<br />Soak in a solution of 1 part household bleach and 50 parts water for 3 minutes
<br />Soak in 70% isopropyl alcohol for 5 minutes
<br />Soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide for 30 minutes.
<br />Do not use a nebulizer that cannot be disinfected using one of these options.
<br />Rinse the nebulizer parts and the eyedropper or syringe under warm running water for 1 minute. Use sterile water for the last rinse. To make sterile water, boil it for 5 minutes. (If you disinfect by boiling, you do not need to rinse the nebulizer.)
<br />Shake off the water and air dry COMPLETELY on a clean cloth or paper towel.
<br />Put the mask or mouthpiece and T-shaped part, cup, and tubing back together, and connect the device to the compressor. Run the machine for 10 to 20 seconds to dry the inside of the nebulizer thoroughly.
<br />Disconnect the tubing from the compressor. Store the nebulizer in a sealable plastic bag.
<br />Clean the surface of the compressor with a well-wrung, soapy cloth or sponge. You could also use an alcohol or disinfectant wipe. NEVER PUT THE COMPRESSOR IN WATER.
<br />Place a cover over the compressor.

janddburke

I disinfect using the 5 minutes in water in the microwave.
i find that if I take all the neb parts out right away they dry in a flash.

janddburke

janddburke

janddburke

janddburke

<br />i find that if I take all the neb parts out right away they dry in a flash.
<br />