Airline Travel and Meds

J

juls

Thank you! All the advice is just what I was looking for. I will definitely be getting a letter from their doctor to help ensure a smooth trip. My anxiety level has dropped after reading the responses.

I am still a little concerned about the applesauce (one person said they were told it was not allowed). Since the girls are 3 years old and 5 months old the only way they can take the enzymes is with applesauce. Buying some when we get to North Dakota isn't an issue, but I need to be able to have some on the plane and in the airport so they can eat! I don't think that applesauce is something I will be able to purchase in the airport after going through security. Hopefully it won't be an issue and I am worrying about everything too much!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Julie
mom to Trevor 6 no cf
Taylor 3 cf
Isabella 5 mos. cf

J

juls

Thank you! All the advice is just what I was looking for. I will definitely be getting a letter from their doctor to help ensure a smooth trip. My anxiety level has dropped after reading the responses.

I am still a little concerned about the applesauce (one person said they were told it was not allowed). Since the girls are 3 years old and 5 months old the only way they can take the enzymes is with applesauce. Buying some when we get to North Dakota isn't an issue, but I need to be able to have some on the plane and in the airport so they can eat! I don't think that applesauce is something I will be able to purchase in the airport after going through security. Hopefully it won't be an issue and I am worrying about everything too much!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Julie
mom to Trevor 6 no cf
Taylor 3 cf
Isabella 5 mos. cf

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I flew out of Fargo last February with DS -- he didn't have the vest at the time -- they did take us aside and examined his "breathing apparatus" for an eternity. Finally let us go on our way after having DH plug it in for them to show them how it worked. Sigh.

I put the nebulizer, cooler & other meds in a backpack. I use the polarpack icepacks I've gotten when we've ordered tobi and put it in a small lunch bag cooler -- the icepacks stay cool for a LONG TIME. In the cooler I put liquid meds that need to be chilled. Also take the label off the pulmozyme & Tobi box and stick it to the individual packets. I also fill the oral syringes for the meds DS takes on a daily basis and put those in a small baggy in the cooler, and the oral meds that need to be chilled. Never had an issue with those, though they have done a double take with the syringes in Xray.

I put the rest of his meds in a plastic baggy with the labels facing out and carry a letter stating he has CF. I also tell them at the security gate that there's medical equipment/meds in the backpack.

A friend of mine DID get grief from NW airlines flying out of Grand Forks airport regarding carrying on the vest. This was about 3 months AFTER she attended the U of MN education day in which a NW airlines official gave a talk on travelling with cf and carrying stuff on.

We've flown United & Frontier with DS and haven't had many issues. The Fargo airport security was the only time we've had issues and it was pretty minor.

Oh and if you spill meds or run out -- you can go to the pharmacy and have them contact your pharmacy (or doctor) and order up new ones. You've got the labels on the meds. Last spring I accidentally dropped DS's albuterol on a weekend trip and the pharmacy just contacted my pharmacy and within minutes we were good to go.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I flew out of Fargo last February with DS -- he didn't have the vest at the time -- they did take us aside and examined his "breathing apparatus" for an eternity. Finally let us go on our way after having DH plug it in for them to show them how it worked. Sigh.

I put the nebulizer, cooler & other meds in a backpack. I use the polarpack icepacks I've gotten when we've ordered tobi and put it in a small lunch bag cooler -- the icepacks stay cool for a LONG TIME. In the cooler I put liquid meds that need to be chilled. Also take the label off the pulmozyme & Tobi box and stick it to the individual packets. I also fill the oral syringes for the meds DS takes on a daily basis and put those in a small baggy in the cooler, and the oral meds that need to be chilled. Never had an issue with those, though they have done a double take with the syringes in Xray.

I put the rest of his meds in a plastic baggy with the labels facing out and carry a letter stating he has CF. I also tell them at the security gate that there's medical equipment/meds in the backpack.

A friend of mine DID get grief from NW airlines flying out of Grand Forks airport regarding carrying on the vest. This was about 3 months AFTER she attended the U of MN education day in which a NW airlines official gave a talk on travelling with cf and carrying stuff on.

We've flown United & Frontier with DS and haven't had many issues. The Fargo airport security was the only time we've had issues and it was pretty minor.

Oh and if you spill meds or run out -- you can go to the pharmacy and have them contact your pharmacy (or doctor) and order up new ones. You've got the labels on the meds. Last spring I accidentally dropped DS's albuterol on a weekend trip and the pharmacy just contacted my pharmacy and within minutes we were good to go.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

tara

I wouldn't worry about the applesauce. Have your doctor's letter explain it's part of the enzyme medication delivery. Nuff said.

Personally, I don't "declare" my meds and equipment (compressor) and most of the time it doesn't even raise a red flag to be checked. I just let them get x-rayed and I'm on my way. Less than half the time the security will open the bag, but they don't even ask me questions about it. They rummage through the bag and close it back up again. I never have a doctor's note either. I'm too lazy.

Tara

tara

I wouldn't worry about the applesauce. Have your doctor's letter explain it's part of the enzyme medication delivery. Nuff said.

Personally, I don't "declare" my meds and equipment (compressor) and most of the time it doesn't even raise a red flag to be checked. I just let them get x-rayed and I'm on my way. Less than half the time the security will open the bag, but they don't even ask me questions about it. They rummage through the bag and close it back up again. I never have a doctor's note either. I'm too lazy.

Tara

tara

Tara

tara

Tara

tara

Tara

tara

Tara

Finnsmommy

I just flew out from Boston to Detroit. The vest garned alot of interest from security, but was eventually let through. Make sure, as others have said, that any liquids you are taking arei n ziplock bags. The applesauce got through without a problem. Regardless, current TSA/security regulations allow for foods related to medical conditions (I count applesauce here!) IS allowed on the plane. I would go to the TSA website and print out the regs just so you have them as a back up. I had a copy with me, highlighted, just in case.

have a great time!

Finnsmommy

I just flew out from Boston to Detroit. The vest garned alot of interest from security, but was eventually let through. Make sure, as others have said, that any liquids you are taking arei n ziplock bags. The applesauce got through without a problem. Regardless, current TSA/security regulations allow for foods related to medical conditions (I count applesauce here!) IS allowed on the plane. I would go to the TSA website and print out the regs just so you have them as a back up. I had a copy with me, highlighted, just in case.

have a great time!

Finnsmommy

have a great time!

Finnsmommy

have a great time!

Finnsmommy

have a great time!

Finnsmommy

have a great time!