anyone have a gtube?

rockgirl

Hey,

Anyone who wants to talk about G-tubes. feel free to ask me anything. I got mine is 8th grade (1998) as well. I was 4'10 and only 50 some lbs. 2 yrs later I was 80 lbs and 5ft. I still have mine -ten yrs later- don't worry that is my choice to keep it- people who are thinking about getting them. I love it though, I can fit more time for school, work and extra stuff- instead of having to eat constantly.

As far as people seeing it... Mine is a mickey button (looks like a beachball flap) I put tape across it keeping in smooth to my stomach. I wear leotards while dancing and nobody knows.

I think most people have bard tubes though- which is what I had at first. They last longer. Mickeys need to be replaced every 6 mos at least. I don't mind replacing it though, it stays in because you basically blow up a balloon(which is on the inside of the stomach) with a syringe and can deflate it and pull it out when you need to. I just stick a new one in and it takes no trips to the doctors and like 10 secs.

1 major drawback most people find is changing it themselves. It hurts a lot. I'm not going to lie and you feel like you are gagging yourself from the inside if that makes sense. That is where the bard is preferred- doctors usually change it and they last super long- but aren't as easy to conceal.

Changing it myself makes me think I'm independent and I have to make less trips to my doctor who is 2 hours away-

I've had complications with the G-tube in the 10 yrs, but it was worth it. I have tons of energy and I'm at a fairly decent weight (while in high school -110 lbs) I'm also 5'2.

It was the best decision my family and I ever made-probably saved my life. correction- it did save my life.
Let me know if anyone wants to know anything else.

Thanks
rockgirl p.s instead of using tape- my mom came up with the idea of an ace bandage wrapped around- no marks left...

22 w/ cf diagnosed at birth- intestinal problems- 10 wks premature

rockgirl

Hey,

Anyone who wants to talk about G-tubes. feel free to ask me anything. I got mine is 8th grade (1998) as well. I was 4'10 and only 50 some lbs. 2 yrs later I was 80 lbs and 5ft. I still have mine -ten yrs later- don't worry that is my choice to keep it- people who are thinking about getting them. I love it though, I can fit more time for school, work and extra stuff- instead of having to eat constantly.

As far as people seeing it... Mine is a mickey button (looks like a beachball flap) I put tape across it keeping in smooth to my stomach. I wear leotards while dancing and nobody knows.

I think most people have bard tubes though- which is what I had at first. They last longer. Mickeys need to be replaced every 6 mos at least. I don't mind replacing it though, it stays in because you basically blow up a balloon(which is on the inside of the stomach) with a syringe and can deflate it and pull it out when you need to. I just stick a new one in and it takes no trips to the doctors and like 10 secs.

1 major drawback most people find is changing it themselves. It hurts a lot. I'm not going to lie and you feel like you are gagging yourself from the inside if that makes sense. That is where the bard is preferred- doctors usually change it and they last super long- but aren't as easy to conceal.

Changing it myself makes me think I'm independent and I have to make less trips to my doctor who is 2 hours away-

I've had complications with the G-tube in the 10 yrs, but it was worth it. I have tons of energy and I'm at a fairly decent weight (while in high school -110 lbs) I'm also 5'2.

It was the best decision my family and I ever made-probably saved my life. correction- it did save my life.

Thanks
rockgirl p.s instead of using tape- my mom came up with the idea of an ace bandage wrapped around- no marks left...

rockgirl

Hey,

Thanks

rockgirl

Hey,

Thanks

rockgirl

Hey,
<br />
<br />Anyone who wants to talk about G-tubes. feel free to ask me anything. I got mine is 8th grade (1998) as well. I was 4'10 and only 50 some lbs. 2 yrs later I was 80 lbs and 5ft. I still have mine -ten yrs later- don't worry that is my choice to keep it- people who are thinking about getting them. I love it though, I can fit more time for school, work and extra stuff- instead of having to eat constantly.
<br />
<br />As far as people seeing it... Mine is a mickey button (looks like a beachball flap) I put tape across it keeping in smooth to my stomach. I wear leotards while dancing and nobody knows.
<br />
<br />I think most people have bard tubes though- which is what I had at first. They last longer. Mickeys need to be replaced every 6 mos at least. I don't mind replacing it though, it stays in because you basically blow up a balloon(which is on the inside of the stomach) with a syringe and can deflate it and pull it out when you need to. I just stick a new one in and it takes no trips to the doctors and like 10 secs.
<br />
<br />1 major drawback most people find is changing it themselves. It hurts a lot. I'm not going to lie and you feel like you are gagging yourself from the inside if that makes sense. That is where the bard is preferred- doctors usually change it and they last super long- but aren't as easy to conceal.
<br />
<br />Changing it myself makes me think I'm independent and I have to make less trips to my doctor who is 2 hours away-
<br />
<br />I've had complications with the G-tube in the 10 yrs, but it was worth it. I have tons of energy and I'm at a fairly decent weight (while in high school -110 lbs) I'm also 5'2.
<br />
<br />It was the best decision my family and I ever made-probably saved my life. correction- it did save my life.
<br />Let me know if anyone wants to know anything else.
<br />
<br />Thanks
<br />rockgirl p.s instead of using tape- my mom came up with the idea of an ace bandage wrapped around- no marks left...
<br />
<br />22 w/ cf diagnosed at birth- intestinal problems- 10 wks premature

rockgirl

Hey,

Thanks

rockgirl

Hey,

Thanks

rockgirl

Hey,

Thanks

rockgirl

Hey,

Thanks

rockgirl

Hey,
<br />
<br />Anyone who wants to talk about G-tubes. feel free to ask me anything. I got mine is 8th grade (1998) as well. I was 4'10 and only 50 some lbs. 2 yrs later I was 80 lbs and 5ft. I still have mine -ten yrs later- don't worry that is my choice to keep it- people who are thinking about getting them. I love it though, I can fit more time for school, work and extra stuff- instead of having to eat constantly.
<br />
<br />As far as people seeing it... Mine is a mickey button (looks like a beachball flap) I put tape across it keeping in smooth to my stomach. I wear leotards while dancing and nobody knows.
<br />
<br />I think most people have bard tubes though- which is what I had at first. They last longer. Mickeys need to be replaced every 6 mos at least. I don't mind replacing it though, it stays in because you basically blow up a balloon(which is on the inside of the stomach) with a syringe and can deflate it and pull it out when you need to. I just stick a new one in and it takes no trips to the doctors and like 10 secs.
<br />
<br />1 major drawback most people find is changing it themselves. It hurts a lot. I'm not going to lie and you feel like you are gagging yourself from the inside if that makes sense. That is where the bard is preferred- doctors usually change it and they last super long- but aren't as easy to conceal.
<br />
<br />Changing it myself makes me think I'm independent and I have to make less trips to my doctor who is 2 hours away-
<br />
<br />I've had complications with the G-tube in the 10 yrs, but it was worth it. I have tons of energy and I'm at a fairly decent weight (while in high school -110 lbs) I'm also 5'2.
<br />
<br />It was the best decision my family and I ever made-probably saved my life. correction- it did save my life.
<br />Let me know if anyone wants to know anything else.
<br />
<br />Thanks
<br />rockgirl p.s instead of using tape- my mom came up with the idea of an ace bandage wrapped around- no marks left...
<br />
<br />22 w/ cf diagnosed at birth- intestinal problems- 10 wks premature

icettg08

yes i have one...im at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.myspace.com/icettg14">http://www.myspace.com/icettg14</a> ,,if anyone would like to chat about cf

icettg08

yes i have one...im at <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.myspace.com/icettg14">http://www.myspace.com/icettg14</a> ,,if anyone would like to chat about cf

icettg08

icettg08

icettg08

awomanofgod07

I have one. I'm 18 now but had it put in when I was in the 7th grade. It was the coolest and weirdest and most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me. I over it now, but when I received it I was on a cheerleading squad and you know how the first few weeks it's the long tube, not the one that the doctors say looks like mickey, so it showed though all my clothing. I was really open about it, which was weird because I had told my mom that I wasn't ever going to show anyone. My friends have always been nice about that kind of stuff though.

When I received the gtube, you know how they make you starve before you get it, well I lost almost 5 pounds that one day; well, I think I weighted about 58 pounds. It has been so hard for me to gain weight, but I have finally reached 100 pounds. YAY! I just hope that I can keep it on with going to college and trying to live a normal life which we know is impossible because of all of the breathing treatments, the coughing, and sometimes yes, even the pickline schedules that mess things up a bit.

awomanofgod07

I have one. I'm 18 now but had it put in when I was in the 7th grade. It was the coolest and weirdest and most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me. I over it now, but when I received it I was on a cheerleading squad and you know how the first few weeks it's the long tube, not the one that the doctors say looks like mickey, so it showed though all my clothing. I was really open about it, which was weird because I had told my mom that I wasn't ever going to show anyone. My friends have always been nice about that kind of stuff though.

When I received the gtube, you know how they make you starve before you get it, well I lost almost 5 pounds that one day; well, I think I weighted about 58 pounds. It has been so hard for me to gain weight, but I have finally reached 100 pounds. YAY! I just hope that I can keep it on with going to college and trying to live a normal life which we know is impossible because of all of the breathing treatments, the coughing, and sometimes yes, even the pickline schedules that mess things up a bit.

awomanofgod07

awomanofgod07

awomanofgod07

<br />
<br />When I received the gtube, you know how they make you starve before you get it, well I lost almost 5 pounds that one day; well, I think I weighted about 58 pounds. It has been so hard for me to gain weight, but I have finally reached 100 pounds. YAY! I just hope that I can keep it on with going to college and trying to live a normal life which we know is impossible because of all of the breathing treatments, the coughing, and sometimes yes, even the pickline schedules that mess things up a bit.