Aquagenic Wrinkling of the Palms

jenspoon

My 15yo daughter w/cf has had problems with this that have been really bad lately - lots of wrinkles and puffiness on the palms of the hands - we will be bringing it up at our next clinic visit.

I have read that some people get relief by applying antiperspirant deodorant to their hands. Haven't tried this as yet...

As far as hydration goes, salt and water go hand in hand. Drinking heaps will not help keep you hydrated if you are depleted in salt. My dd drinks heaps of water but I think we need to work on getting enough salt into her diet to keep hydration at optimum levels.

jenspoon

My 15yo daughter w/cf has had problems with this that have been really bad lately - lots of wrinkles and puffiness on the palms of the hands - we will be bringing it up at our next clinic visit.

I have read that some people get relief by applying antiperspirant deodorant to their hands. Haven't tried this as yet...

As far as hydration goes, salt and water go hand in hand. Drinking heaps will not help keep you hydrated if you are depleted in salt. My dd drinks heaps of water but I think we need to work on getting enough salt into her diet to keep hydration at optimum levels.

jenspoon

jenspoon

jenspoon

<br />
<br />I have read that some people get relief by applying antiperspirant deodorant to their hands. Haven't tried this as yet...
<br />
<br />As far as hydration goes, salt and water go hand in hand. Drinking heaps will not help keep you hydrated if you are depleted in salt. My dd drinks heaps of water but I think we need to work on getting enough salt into her diet to keep hydration at optimum levels.

MicheleGazelle

For those who are saying that water and salt don't seem to be doing enough, here is something I wrote elsewhere recently:

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A general principal of hydration for the skin is that in very moist, mild climates (like Ireland), moisturizers help. But in very hot, dry climates (like a desert), moisturizers make things worse and actually dehydrate the skin because they work by helping move water from a moist area to a dry area. If your skin is wetter than the air, it sucks moisture out of you. So, in such climates, oiling the skin works better to keep it hydrated.

I used to have big problems with hot weather. I was very prone to dehydration and would just wilt in the heat. I think getting enough of the right oils in my diet has helped with this. I think people with CF are sort of "spongier" than other people, who seem more 'solid' or "wax-like" to me (for lack of a better word). Getting enough sea salt and enough healthy oils has made me generally stay hydrated better and I don't wilt in the heat like I used to. It took time to get where I am now. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't see short-term improvements. It just means sticking with it consistently will pay dividends in the long run.

For me, organic coconut oil and organic butter have been the two most important oils/fats for building a healthier body. I consume a great deal more butter than I do coconut oil, though taking coconut oil daily as a supplement was very important to me at one time for several months.
</end quote></div>

I will also reiterate that sea salt does a great deal more for me than plain old regular table salt.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

For those who are saying that water and salt don't seem to be doing enough, here is something I wrote elsewhere recently:

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A general principal of hydration for the skin is that in very moist, mild climates (like Ireland), moisturizers help. But in very hot, dry climates (like a desert), moisturizers make things worse and actually dehydrate the skin because they work by helping move water from a moist area to a dry area. If your skin is wetter than the air, it sucks moisture out of you. So, in such climates, oiling the skin works better to keep it hydrated.

I used to have big problems with hot weather. I was very prone to dehydration and would just wilt in the heat. I think getting enough of the right oils in my diet has helped with this. I think people with CF are sort of "spongier" than other people, who seem more 'solid' or "wax-like" to me (for lack of a better word). Getting enough sea salt and enough healthy oils has made me generally stay hydrated better and I don't wilt in the heat like I used to. It took time to get where I am now. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't see short-term improvements. It just means sticking with it consistently will pay dividends in the long run.

For me, organic coconut oil and organic butter have been the two most important oils/fats for building a healthier body. I consume a great deal more butter than I do coconut oil, though taking coconut oil daily as a supplement was very important to me at one time for several months.
</end quote></div>

I will also reiterate that sea salt does a great deal more for me than plain old regular table salt.

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

</end quote></div>

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

</end quote>

Good luck with this.

MicheleGazelle

<br />
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>A general principal of hydration for the skin is that in very moist, mild climates (like Ireland), moisturizers help. But in very hot, dry climates (like a desert), moisturizers make things worse and actually dehydrate the skin because they work by helping move water from a moist area to a dry area. If your skin is wetter than the air, it sucks moisture out of you. So, in such climates, oiling the skin works better to keep it hydrated.
<br />
<br />I used to have big problems with hot weather. I was very prone to dehydration and would just wilt in the heat. I think getting enough of the right oils in my diet has helped with this. I think people with CF are sort of "spongier" than other people, who seem more 'solid' or "wax-like" to me (for lack of a better word). Getting enough sea salt and enough healthy oils has made me generally stay hydrated better and I don't wilt in the heat like I used to. It took time to get where I am now. But that doesn't mean you wouldn't see short-term improvements. It just means sticking with it consistently will pay dividends in the long run.
<br />
<br />For me, organic coconut oil and organic butter have been the two most important oils/fats for building a healthier body. I consume a great deal more butter than I do coconut oil, though taking coconut oil daily as a supplement was very important to me at one time for several months.
<br /></end quote>
<br />
<br />I will also reiterate that sea salt does a great deal more for me than plain old regular table salt.
<br />
<br />Good luck with this.

M

MiddleAgedLady

Check this out -- it's an abstract appearing in the Nov. 2009 edition of Archives of Dermatology on aquagenic wrinkling in CFers.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/145/11/1296
">http://archderm.ama-assn.org/c.../abstract/145/11/1296
</a>
Sorry, I don't know how to make the link active.

Joan

M

MiddleAgedLady

Check this out -- it's an abstract appearing in the Nov. 2009 edition of Archives of Dermatology on aquagenic wrinkling in CFers.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/145/11/1296
</a>

Joan

M

MiddleAgedLady

</a>

Joan

M

MiddleAgedLady

</a>

Joan

M

MiddleAgedLady

<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/145/11/1296
</a><br />
<br />Sorry, I don't know how to make the link active.
<br />
<br />Joan

mamerth

My hands get so wrinkly in water that they hurt. No soaking in a tub for me. OH, I hate when my skin gets wet under a bandage... have to change it almost immediately. Eeww!

mamerth

My hands get so wrinkly in water that they hurt. No soaking in a tub for me. OH, I hate when my skin gets wet under a bandage... have to change it almost immediately. Eeww!

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth