Aren't we all fighting the same fight?!?!?!

minimedic304

The CFF is a business, and when it comes down to it , they care about making a profit for their salaries. The CFF has changed from what it was many years ago. This is why I started my foundation because I could no longer stand to see there CEO make $560k a year while there are CF patients that can not pay for food. It's even hard to get support on this site. I have asked to get my 501c3 listed on this site for the last 6 months, and have gotten no response, and half the listing under the donation section are no longer active foundations. Yet my foundation runs all by volunteers and is actually using almost every cent to improve lives of CF patients. I have no desire for personal gain through this foundation, I just want to help because I fully know what everyone is going through. If we were given more support we could help patients nationally. so please feel free to email the administrators on this site to help us get listed. www.breathe-easy.org

minimedic304

The CFF is a business, and when it comes down to it , they care about making a profit for their salaries. The CFF has changed from what it was many years ago. This is why I started my foundation because I could no longer stand to see there CEO make $560k a year while there are CF patients that can not pay for food. It's even hard to get support on this site. I have asked to get my 501c3 listed on this site for the last 6 months, and have gotten no response, and half the listing under the donation section are no longer active foundations. Yet my foundation runs all by volunteers and is actually using almost every cent to improve lives of CF patients. I have no desire for personal gain through this foundation, I just want to help because I fully know what everyone is going through. If we were given more support we could help patients nationally. so please feel free to email the administrators on this site to help us get listed. www.breathe-easy.org

minimedic304

NYCLawGirl

first of all, julie i'm really glad you're going with the t-shirt idea. i think you'll do well with that, support the walk, AND get your message out. good luck with it and in your upcoming meeting with UW!

as to the other points:

the CEO makes about .40 on every $100 earned by the CFF. the Foundation itself remains one of the most efficient charities out there. "not-for-profit" does not mean, nor has it ever meant, "not-sustainable" -- these organizations have to pay their bills INCLUDING salaries for the top-notch and frankly outstanding people in charge over there. those high up in the foundation are fully committed to the cause; they're also qualified professionals with extremely expensive degrees who would, believe it or not, command even higher salaries in other sectors. whether or not you think the salary market for such jobs is out of control, it stands to reason that any major research and lobbyist group like that is going to need to pay whatever the market rate is for the job in order to get the best people. and if you think that these people weren't hand picked by the folks that started the organization, you're wrong. the founder (a CF mother) still attends many CFF events and was quite active in making the Foundation what it is today. to her great credit, i would venture to say, as i honestly can't think of another group that has made so much progress so quickly, and on a GENETIC disease no less.

i agree wholeheartedly that the CFF goes overboard telling CFers to be cautious. that said, my transplant doctor tells me never to drink water with lemon in it at a restaurant. i accept that it's HIS JOB to give me the best MEDICAL advice he can, and my job to make it work (or not) with my LIFE. so, yes, i am around other CFers more than the CFF would probably like. they actually know that since i know many of them personally. but i don't expect them to endorse it -- if they did, and i got sick, that would be irresponsible of them not to have warned me of the danger. it's a risk i take into my own hands. and i'd imagine that if joan and beth were speaking TOGETHER then no one said CFers COULDN'T be together. if they did, that would seem like a lesson in "do as i say, not as i do."

julie, i am sorry you feel wronged by the Foundation. i would suggest not writing to the CEO for an introduction, though, as generally the best way to get a response from any company or organization is to start a little lower on the totem pole. i do not, for example, write the president to get my voice heard; i write my congressperson or even a staff member.

also, and i realize i may be in a minority here, but i do think it's fine for the CFF to chose to support one disability advocacy group rather than multiple. they can't give out "competing" grants -- even if we'd like to pretend that's not how it works. but just as i personally do not feel it's inappropriate for websites such as this one not to support other "community" sites, i don't have a problem with other CF groups (even THE group) limiting their endorsements. they simply don't have the resources to look into and do due diligence on every single organization. nor would i personally want them to do so, to be honest.

the CFF is a research funding group, period. no one ever claimed they were supposed to be an umbrella organization for all the smaller CF non-profits.

DAFCF does great work. i hope it continues for a long time to come.

NYCLawGirl

first of all, julie i'm really glad you're going with the t-shirt idea. i think you'll do well with that, support the walk, AND get your message out. good luck with it and in your upcoming meeting with UW!

as to the other points:

the CEO makes about .40 on every $100 earned by the CFF. the Foundation itself remains one of the most efficient charities out there. "not-for-profit" does not mean, nor has it ever meant, "not-sustainable" -- these organizations have to pay their bills INCLUDING salaries for the top-notch and frankly outstanding people in charge over there. those high up in the foundation are fully committed to the cause; they're also qualified professionals with extremely expensive degrees who would, believe it or not, command even higher salaries in other sectors. whether or not you think the salary market for such jobs is out of control, it stands to reason that any major research and lobbyist group like that is going to need to pay whatever the market rate is for the job in order to get the best people. and if you think that these people weren't hand picked by the folks that started the organization, you're wrong. the founder (a CF mother) still attends many CFF events and was quite active in making the Foundation what it is today. to her great credit, i would venture to say, as i honestly can't think of another group that has made so much progress so quickly, and on a GENETIC disease no less.

i agree wholeheartedly that the CFF goes overboard telling CFers to be cautious. that said, my transplant doctor tells me never to drink water with lemon in it at a restaurant. i accept that it's HIS JOB to give me the best MEDICAL advice he can, and my job to make it work (or not) with my LIFE. so, yes, i am around other CFers more than the CFF would probably like. they actually know that since i know many of them personally. but i don't expect them to endorse it -- if they did, and i got sick, that would be irresponsible of them not to have warned me of the danger. it's a risk i take into my own hands. and i'd imagine that if joan and beth were speaking TOGETHER then no one said CFers COULDN'T be together. if they did, that would seem like a lesson in "do as i say, not as i do."

julie, i am sorry you feel wronged by the Foundation. i would suggest not writing to the CEO for an introduction, though, as generally the best way to get a response from any company or organization is to start a little lower on the totem pole. i do not, for example, write the president to get my voice heard; i write my congressperson or even a staff member.

also, and i realize i may be in a minority here, but i do think it's fine for the CFF to chose to support one disability advocacy group rather than multiple. they can't give out "competing" grants -- even if we'd like to pretend that's not how it works. but just as i personally do not feel it's inappropriate for websites such as this one not to support other "community" sites, i don't have a problem with other CF groups (even THE group) limiting their endorsements. they simply don't have the resources to look into and do due diligence on every single organization. nor would i personally want them to do so, to be honest.

the CFF is a research funding group, period. no one ever claimed they were supposed to be an umbrella organization for all the smaller CF non-profits.

DAFCF does great work. i hope it continues for a long time to come.

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />as to the other points:
<br />
<br />the CEO makes about .40 on every $100 earned by the CFF. the Foundation itself remains one of the most efficient charities out there. "not-for-profit" does not mean, nor has it ever meant, "not-sustainable" -- these organizations have to pay their bills INCLUDING salaries for the top-notch and frankly outstanding people in charge over there. those high up in the foundation are fully committed to the cause; they're also qualified professionals with extremely expensive degrees who would, believe it or not, command even higher salaries in other sectors. whether or not you think the salary market for such jobs is out of control, it stands to reason that any major research and lobbyist group like that is going to need to pay whatever the market rate is for the job in order to get the best people. and if you think that these people weren't hand picked by the folks that started the organization, you're wrong. the founder (a CF mother) still attends many CFF events and was quite active in making the Foundation what it is today. to her great credit, i would venture to say, as i honestly can't think of another group that has made so much progress so quickly, and on a GENETIC disease no less.
<br />
<br />i agree wholeheartedly that the CFF goes overboard telling CFers to be cautious. that said, my transplant doctor tells me never to drink water with lemon in it at a restaurant. i accept that it's HIS JOB to give me the best MEDICAL advice he can, and my job to make it work (or not) with my LIFE. so, yes, i am around other CFers more than the CFF would probably like. they actually know that since i know many of them personally. but i don't expect them to endorse it -- if they did, and i got sick, that would be irresponsible of them not to have warned me of the danger. it's a risk i take into my own hands. and i'd imagine that if joan and beth were speaking TOGETHER then no one said CFers COULDN'T be together. if they did, that would seem like a lesson in "do as i say, not as i do."
<br />
<br />julie, i am sorry you feel wronged by the Foundation. i would suggest not writing to the CEO for an introduction, though, as generally the best way to get a response from any company or organization is to start a little lower on the totem pole. i do not, for example, write the president to get my voice heard; i write my congressperson or even a staff member.
<br />
<br />also, and i realize i may be in a minority here, but i do think it's fine for the CFF to chose to support one disability advocacy group rather than multiple. they can't give out "competing" grants -- even if we'd like to pretend that's not how it works. but just as i personally do not feel it's inappropriate for websites such as this one not to support other "community" sites, i don't have a problem with other CF groups (even THE group) limiting their endorsements. they simply don't have the resources to look into and do due diligence on every single organization. nor would i personally want them to do so, to be honest.
<br />
<br />the CFF is a research funding group, period. no one ever claimed they were supposed to be an umbrella organization for all the smaller CF non-profits.
<br />
<br />DAFCF does great work. i hope it continues for a long time to come.

E

entropy

a person truly committed to the cause of finding a cure for CF would demand no compensation for their work. the fact is, it's a capitalist venture that operates under the guise of being a "NPO." I'm not trying to diminish the contributions the CFF has made toward research and funding, but it should not be ignored that the CFF has done some questionable things which diminish it's reputation. What good is done by the CFFs refusal to allow other charities display at events? What is the underlying motivation behind the CFFs decision to bar small charities from participating at CFF events? This action implies greed (they obviously want all the donations for themselves), and not a spirit of charity.

I'm sure the original intent of the CFF was purely to help people with CF. But, as is evident, the CFF has become a platform to insure the security of the livelihoods of those who work for the CFF. Philanthropy is no longer the driving force behind the CFF. When this happens to a business, especially a NPO, self-interest outweighs the original intention behind the organization; in this case, a charity to fund CF research.

the CFF has done good things, but is now less of a charity and more of a gargantuan capitalist venture that feeds on people's sympathy. Money is a corrupting force, and lots of money flows through the CFF.

In summation, charities should not be run as though it's a business designed to line the pockets of the CEO.

E

entropy

a person truly committed to the cause of finding a cure for CF would demand no compensation for their work. the fact is, it's a capitalist venture that operates under the guise of being a "NPO." I'm not trying to diminish the contributions the CFF has made toward research and funding, but it should not be ignored that the CFF has done some questionable things which diminish it's reputation. What good is done by the CFFs refusal to allow other charities display at events? What is the underlying motivation behind the CFFs decision to bar small charities from participating at CFF events? This action implies greed (they obviously want all the donations for themselves), and not a spirit of charity.

I'm sure the original intent of the CFF was purely to help people with CF. But, as is evident, the CFF has become a platform to insure the security of the livelihoods of those who work for the CFF. Philanthropy is no longer the driving force behind the CFF. When this happens to a business, especially a NPO, self-interest outweighs the original intention behind the organization; in this case, a charity to fund CF research.

the CFF has done good things, but is now less of a charity and more of a gargantuan capitalist venture that feeds on people's sympathy. Money is a corrupting force, and lots of money flows through the CFF.

In summation, charities should not be run as though it's a business designed to line the pockets of the CEO.

E

entropy

<br />
<br />I'm sure the original intent of the CFF was purely to help people with CF. But, as is evident, the CFF has become a platform to insure the security of the livelihoods of those who work for the CFF. Philanthropy is no longer the driving force behind the CFF. When this happens to a business, especially a NPO, self-interest outweighs the original intention behind the organization; in this case, a charity to fund CF research.
<br />
<br />the CFF has done good things, but is now less of a charity and more of a gargantuan capitalist venture that feeds on people's sympathy. Money is a corrupting force, and lots of money flows through the CFF.
<br />
<br />In summation, charities should not be run as though it's a business designed to line the pockets of the CEO.

JennifersHope

Piper if I was as good as writing things I would have said exactly what you said, I agree 100 percent, whole heartedly with every single thing you said.

Every sentence every word.

JennifersHope

Piper if I was as good as writing things I would have said exactly what you said, I agree 100 percent, whole heartedly with every single thing you said.

Every sentence every word.

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />Every sentence every word.

JennifersHope

I just wanted to say, the one point I wanted to bring up that Piper said, is it cost people a ton of money to go to college, a ton of time and money. I though I am not directly related to this anymore as far as I know, would be incredibly grateful that the CFF has taken such great care in hiring the best of the best, and yes, gosh, they should be paid for it, That has nothing to do with their dedication what so ever. Like Piper pointed out, they are still getting paid less then what they would be making if they were not working for the CFF.

Frankly, when it comes to research and getting things accomplished and finding medications that extend lives, really do we want less the best people in charge of this?

That does not in anyway, take away from what Julie is doing. What she is doing is great, what others are doing to put food on the table of CFers is great and much needed, however, we need the work horse of the CFF to get the research done, They give out a ton of grants to doctors who show credible proof that they are onto something in the development of CF. Their purpose is not to feed the CFer but to cure them. I will take the cure.

JennifersHope

I just wanted to say, the one point I wanted to bring up that Piper said, is it cost people a ton of money to go to college, a ton of time and money. I though I am not directly related to this anymore as far as I know, would be incredibly grateful that the CFF has taken such great care in hiring the best of the best, and yes, gosh, they should be paid for it, That has nothing to do with their dedication what so ever. Like Piper pointed out, they are still getting paid less then what they would be making if they were not working for the CFF.

Frankly, when it comes to research and getting things accomplished and finding medications that extend lives, really do we want less the best people in charge of this?

That does not in anyway, take away from what Julie is doing. What she is doing is great, what others are doing to put food on the table of CFers is great and much needed, however, we need the work horse of the CFF to get the research done, They give out a ton of grants to doctors who show credible proof that they are onto something in the development of CF. Their purpose is not to feed the CFer but to cure them. I will take the cure.

JennifersHope

<br />
<br />Frankly, when it comes to research and getting things accomplished and finding medications that extend lives, really do we want less the best people in charge of this?
<br />
<br />That does not in anyway, take away from what Julie is doing. What she is doing is great, what others are doing to put food on the table of CFers is great and much needed, however, we need the work horse of the CFF to get the research done, They give out a ton of grants to doctors who show credible proof that they are onto something in the development of CF. Their purpose is not to feed the CFer but to cure them. I will take the cure.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>a person truly committed to the cause of finding a cure for CF would demand no compensation for their work.</end quote></div>
How, exactly, do you propose someone who works full-time somewhere pay his bills if he did this for free? Could *you* work for free?

I'll stay out of the salary debate when it comes to specific numbers, because I don't know enough about it. But that kind of commitment with those job qualifications with NO compensation? That is ridiculous. If the CFF doesn't want their foundation to fold someday due to poor management they need someone highly qualified to run it, and they won't get that without being competitive. Not to mention there is a big difference between your career and volunteering somewhere in your spare time.

hmw

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>a person truly committed to the cause of finding a cure for CF would demand no compensation for their work.</end quote>
How, exactly, do you propose someone who works full-time somewhere pay his bills if he did this for free? Could *you* work for free?

I'll stay out of the salary debate when it comes to specific numbers, because I don't know enough about it. But that kind of commitment with those job qualifications with NO compensation? That is ridiculous. If the CFF doesn't want their foundation to fold someday due to poor management they need someone highly qualified to run it, and they won't get that without being competitive. Not to mention there is a big difference between your career and volunteering somewhere in your spare time.