Colistin Alert

lightNlife

My mistake, the reconstituted sol'n should be used w/in 7 days.

I've found a really good study of the difference b/w colistin and colymycin, including the problems with it. I'll be updating my blog w/in the next few days.

One of the most important pieces of info I found, for those of us who mix our own, is that we need to be VERY careful not to let it get foamy. The foam is the result of impurities in the solution, and can interfere with nebbing it effectively.

lightNlife

I've found a really good study of the difference b/w colistin and colymycin, including the problems with it. I'll be updating my blog w/in the next few days.

One of the most important pieces of info I found, for those of us who mix our own, is that we need to be VERY careful not to let it get foamy. The foam is the result of impurities in the solution, and can interfere with nebbing it effectively.

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

lightNlife

MOME2RT

Reece uses his after 7 days as well. They send us premixed for a month!

About the foam issue, when he is DONE with the colistin, I open it up to clean, there is a foam...BUT again this is when it is finished.

MOME2RT

About the foam issue, when he is DONE with the colistin, I open it up to clean, there is a foam...BUT again this is when it is finished.

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

MOME2RT

respman

It is very important to make sure your Colistin is refridgerated at all times. The hydrolysis of the prodrug into the more toxic colistin is significantly slowed by refridgeration. I run a compounding pharmacy and we never make premixed colistimethate until the day it goes out and it goes out on ice. We have never had a problem but we are suspending our premixed colistin and substituting self mix vials until the FDA investigation is completed.

I think the incident in question was a combination of a few different factors but better to play it safe. Conveinence is nice but only if it is safe.

Jim D BS, RRT

respman

It is very important to make sure your Colistin is refridgerated at all times. The hydrolysis of the prodrug into the more toxic colistin is significantly slowed by refridgeration. I run a compounding pharmacy and we never make premixed colistimethate until the day it goes out and it goes out on ice. We have never had a problem but we are suspending our premixed colistin and substituting self mix vials until the FDA investigation is completed.

I think the incident in question was a combination of a few different factors but better to play it safe. Conveinence is nice but only if it is safe.

Jim D BS, RRT

respman

Jim D BS, RRT

respman

Jim D BS, RRT

respman

Jim D BS, RRT

respman

Jim D BS, RRT

Jem

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/NewsEvents/index.cfm?ID=6768&TYPE=1670">CFF article on Colistin alert</a>

Foundation Issues A Safety Alert Regarding Premixed Colistin

June 12, 2007

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating a recent patient death as possibly being related to inhaled colistin (also known as colistimethate or Coly-Mycin), which was premixed by a mail-order pharmacy. Colistin is an antibiotic that may be inhaled to treat infections of the lungs.

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation recommends that patients not use colistin that has been premixed by a pharmacy until the FDA investigation is complete and the safety of this product is established.

We understand that this may be an inconvenience for patients using premixed colistin, but patient safety is our primary concern. To be clear, we are not advising against the use of colistin when premixed by the patient immediately prior to use.

Patients and their families should contact their CF care center for more information and with questions/concerns regarding this or any other treatment.

Jem

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.cff.org/aboutCFFoundation/NewsEvents/index.cfm?ID=6768&TYPE=1670">CFF article on Colistin alert</a>

Foundation Issues A Safety Alert Regarding Premixed Colistin

June 12, 2007

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating a recent patient death as possibly being related to inhaled colistin (also known as colistimethate or Coly-Mycin), which was premixed by a mail-order pharmacy. Colistin is an antibiotic that may be inhaled to treat infections of the lungs.

The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation recommends that patients not use colistin that has been premixed by a pharmacy until the FDA investigation is complete and the safety of this product is established.

We understand that this may be an inconvenience for patients using premixed colistin, but patient safety is our primary concern. To be clear, we are not advising against the use of colistin when premixed by the patient immediately prior to use.

Patients and their families should contact their CF care center for more information and with questions/concerns regarding this or any other treatment.