Flu vaccine?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I did get sick after a flu shot -- once, a couple weeks after! And I attributed it not to the shot itself, but because instead of going to the flu shot blitzes, I'd gone to the regular clinic, sat in the waiting room, read magazines and this was before DS, so I imagine, I didn't bother using handsanitizer or washing my hands after the visit.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
I did get sick after a flu shot -- once, a couple weeks after! And I attributed it not to the shot itself, but because instead of going to the flu shot blitzes, I'd gone to the regular clinic, sat in the waiting room, read magazines and this was before DS, so I imagine, I didn't bother using handsanitizer or washing my hands after the visit.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

just1more

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Liza</b></i>
she's gonna get the flu mist instead.</end quote></div>

WARNING the Flu Mist is NOT safe for Anna. It is a live vaccine and is contraindicated for anyone with CF (or I would extend to those close to them) as you can shed the flu virus after getting it.

I would suggest her roommate just grin and bear it and get the shot. The mist might be worse than nothing at all when it comes to a cystic.

just1more

WARNING the Flu Mist is NOT safe for Anna. It is a live vaccine and is contraindicated for anyone with CF (or I would extend to those close to them) as you can shed the flu virus after getting it.

I would suggest her roommate just grin and bear it and get the shot. The mist might be worse than nothing at all when it comes to a cystic.

just1more

just1more

she's gonna get the flu mist instead.</end quote>

just1more

<br />she's gonna get the flu mist instead.</end quote>
<br />
<br />WARNING the Flu Mist is NOT safe for Anna. It is a live vaccine and is contraindicated for anyone with CF (or I would extend to those close to them) as you can shed the flu virus after getting it.
<br />
<br />I would suggest her roommate just grin and bear it and get the shot. The mist might be worse than nothing at all when it comes to a cystic.
<br />
<br />

summer732

Liza,

I'm seconding what Tom said! The FLU Mist is especially NOT okay for Anna since she is post transplant. The flu mist is a live virus. My transplant doctor told me that I should not be in direct contact with anyone who has had the flu mist vaccincation for at least 8 weeks. My little cousins who are only 8 and 7 get the shot so that they can be around me.

You should see what you can do to get her to get the shot as that can be very dangerous to Anna's health.

I get the flu shot every year. Never have even thought about not getting it.

summer732

Liza,

I'm seconding what Tom said! The FLU Mist is especially NOT okay for Anna since she is post transplant. The flu mist is a live virus. My transplant doctor told me that I should not be in direct contact with anyone who has had the flu mist vaccincation for at least 8 weeks. My little cousins who are only 8 and 7 get the shot so that they can be around me.

You should see what you can do to get her to get the shot as that can be very dangerous to Anna's health.

summer732

Liza,

summer732

Liza,

summer732

Liza,
<br />
<br />I'm seconding what Tom said! The FLU Mist is especially NOT okay for Anna since she is post transplant. The flu mist is a live virus. My transplant doctor told me that I should not be in direct contact with anyone who has had the flu mist vaccincation for at least 8 weeks. My little cousins who are only 8 and 7 get the shot so that they can be around me.
<br />
<br />You should see what you can do to get her to get the shot as that can be very dangerous to Anna's health.
<br />
<br />I get the flu shot every year. Never have even thought about not getting it.

jaimers

Super Moderator
i've always gotten the flu shot. but there have been a couple years when i got the flu shot and still got the flu soooo who knows, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
i will say though that both of the times i got the flu i got Tamiflu within the first 48 hours and so my flu symptoms only lasted about 4 days at the most. that stuff is great!

jaimers

Super Moderator
i've always gotten the flu shot. but there have been a couple years when i got the flu shot and still got the flu soooo who knows, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
i will say though that both of the times i got the flu i got Tamiflu within the first 48 hours and so my flu symptoms only lasted about 4 days at the most. that stuff is great!

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator

jaimers

Super Moderator
<br />i will say though that both of the times i got the flu i got Tamiflu within the first 48 hours and so my flu symptoms only lasted about 4 days at the most. that stuff is great!