For the mothers to CFers.

Heidi

I breastfed all my children until they were/are about two years old, except my oldest who was weaned at 8 months. For my cf children, I was unaware that they had cf during the time they were breastfed. My oldest (who is still PS) was always satisfied, so supplementation was never an issue. With Jacob and Juliette(who were said to be PS at the time of diagnosis, but are now PI), they were always hungry. I had planned to exclusively breastfeed, but by 5 months, Jacob was grabbing for the table food. In hindsight, I would have supplemented Jake and Juliette more, with breastfeeding being their main means of feeding. I think the breastfeeding was definitely vital to their health, and I thimk that supplementation would have given them that little extra edge.

Heidi

I breastfed all my children until they were/are about two years old, except my oldest who was weaned at 8 months. For my cf children, I was unaware that they had cf during the time they were breastfed. My oldest (who is still PS) was always satisfied, so supplementation was never an issue. With Jacob and Juliette(who were said to be PS at the time of diagnosis, but are now PI), they were always hungry. I had planned to exclusively breastfeed, but by 5 months, Jacob was grabbing for the table food. In hindsight, I would have supplemented Jake and Juliette more, with breastfeeding being their main means of feeding. I think the breastfeeding was definitely vital to their health, and I thimk that supplementation would have given them that little extra edge.

Heidi

Heidi

Heidi

PlumPerfect

I was bound and determined to BF but after diagnosis they wanted us to put ceral in bottles with enfamil with iron to supplement. My son took to that so well and was continuing to projectile to BM. In frustration I let him stick with the formula and ceral. We have switched from rice ceral to oatmeal and it helps tremendously( although I have to grind it into a powder with my magic bullet)

***to answer why cereal: they told us its to help prevent asperating(sp?) if he doesn't have it he will projectile at last half of what he got down.

The enzymes seems to be the most frustrating to me he is inbetween dosing so he just has to deal with gas till he gets older.

PlumPerfect

I was bound and determined to BF but after diagnosis they wanted us to put ceral in bottles with enfamil with iron to supplement. My son took to that so well and was continuing to projectile to BM. In frustration I let him stick with the formula and ceral. We have switched from rice ceral to oatmeal and it helps tremendously( although I have to grind it into a powder with my magic bullet)

***to answer why cereal: they told us its to help prevent asperating(sp?) if he doesn't have it he will projectile at last half of what he got down.

The enzymes seems to be the most frustrating to me he is inbetween dosing so he just has to deal with gas till he gets older.

PlumPerfect

PlumPerfect

PlumPerfect

<br />
<br />***to answer why cereal: they told us its to help prevent asperating(sp?) if he doesn't have it he will projectile at last half of what he got down.
<br />
<br />
<br />The enzymes seems to be the most frustrating to me he is inbetween dosing so he just has to deal with gas till he gets older.

V

valigirl21

Honestly I sometimes I think if I would have breastfed longer could I have given my son a better, stronger immune system. Probably not, but I still worry. Breastfeeding is always best, and I always tell new or pregnant mom's that its the way to go.

V

valigirl21

Honestly I sometimes I think if I would have breastfed longer could I have given my son a better, stronger immune system. Probably not, but I still worry. Breastfeeding is always best, and I always tell new or pregnant mom's that its the way to go.

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

V

valigirl21

O

Olymama

I breastfeed my son and he is almost 1 1/2. The CF staff has always been very supportive of it and I feel very fortunate it worked out for us. I love the bonding and feel I am doing something very good for him too. I plan to do it until as long as its mutually satisfying.
we only supplemented his first week because of rapid weight loss.

O

Olymama

I breastfeed my son and he is almost 1 1/2. The CF staff has always been very supportive of it and I feel very fortunate it worked out for us. I love the bonding and feel I am doing something very good for him too. I plan to do it until as long as its mutually satisfying.

O

Olymama

O

Olymama

O

Olymama

<br />we only supplemented his first week because of rapid weight loss.