Going in for a tune-up and first PICC Line

krisjohn53223

I have had several PICC lines before getting a port placed years ago. I actually thought the IV was worse than the PICC. Whenever I had my PICC's placed they numbed it with lidocaine (via small needle). Now they can use Emla cream. There is NO reason a PICC needs to be stitched in place, so watch for that! They are also very easy to take care of. You'll do fine at home with her! Good Luck.

amber682

My son (2 yrs. old) has had two PICC's, both done with a sedative in radiology. He was completely stoned an could have cared less with that versed they gave him. Afterwards they wrapped up his arm, but they still had two tiny stitches at the very top to keep it in. Both times on the inside of the upper arm. He didn't really seemed bothered by it being there. He didn't seem too sore either, although he didn't use that arm as much as the other one.

So if they don't use stitches, how do they keep it from sliding right out? BTW, even with the stitches Vinny's was pulled out and had to be re-done. The nurses kind of left it hanging down and taped instead of all wrapped up in gauze like they usually did. He was kneeling down and must have had his foot on the tip of the line (not even plugged into IV's at the time!) and when he stood up...ripppp, pulled the entire thing right out in one shot. The stitches ripped right through the plastic, and they were still in his arm. He didn't even really cry, just looked utterly shocked and confused.

Anyway, in my opinion, from watching my son, the PICC line was much better and much less traumatic than IVs. As for me, I would not let them put one in my son without sedation, or atleast some numbing cream when he's older.

amber682

My son (2 yrs. old) has had two PICC's, both done with a sedative in radiology. He was completely stoned an could have cared less with that versed they gave him. Afterwards they wrapped up his arm, but they still had two tiny stitches at the very top to keep it in. Both times on the inside of the upper arm. He didn't really seemed bothered by it being there. He didn't seem too sore either, although he didn't use that arm as much as the other one.

So if they don't use stitches, how do they keep it from sliding right out? BTW, even with the stitches Vinny's was pulled out and had to be re-done. The nurses kind of left it hanging down and taped instead of all wrapped up in gauze like they usually did. He was kneeling down and must have had his foot on the tip of the line (not even plugged into IV's at the time!) and when he stood up...ripppp, pulled the entire thing right out in one shot. The stitches ripped right through the plastic, and they were still in his arm. He didn't even really cry, just looked utterly shocked and confused.

Anyway, in my opinion, from watching my son, the PICC line was much better and much less traumatic than IVs. As for me, I would not let them put one in my son without sedation, or atleast some numbing cream when he's older.

amber682

ViviansMom

I may be a little off topic. But I just want to say you guys are amazing. I'm reading this in tears Vivian and I have had a tough time but more I read the more I realize that we haven't experiences the worst of this yet. Vivian is 10 and we haven't had a turn up nor a PICC line, or home IVs, I just pray I will have your strength when our times comes.

My hat is off to you all, you are truly amazing.

ViviansMom

I may be a little off topic. But I just want to say you guys are amazing. I'm reading this in tears Vivian and I have had a tough time but more I read the more I realize that we haven't experiences the worst of this yet. Vivian is 10 and we haven't had a turn up nor a PICC line, or home IVs, I just pray I will have your strength when our times comes.

ViviansMom

ReneeP

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I am very nervous about it. We seem to be taking a bit of a slide down hill right now and it's scary. Kaitlyn was very sick until she was diagnosed just before she turned 3. She has multiple hospitalizations prior to that. However, she spent her 3 rd b-day in the hospital and from that point until she turned 12 she was not sick a single day. (not CF related anyway).

She turned 12 in December and a week later she got hit with a terrible virus that floored her. She spent 2 wks in the hospital, was diagnosed with CFRD and her PFTs dropped 80%... She has since recovered most of that.

In April she cultured Pseudomonias for the first time in 4 years.

Three weeks ago she had a very rare reaction to her growth hormone injections and ended up having a spinal tap done...she was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri which we are still struggling with. It's unclear how long recovery from that will take, but the neuroloist said at least 6 months. She's missed 2 weeks of school because of that already.

Then yesterday the dr called with her latest culture results and due to the increase in the pseudomonias he wants her on IV's. I guess the TOBI and cipro didn't help at all.

Last year was my 8 year old's year for problems... now they've switched roles. I guess I should just be grateful it's only one of them at a time....

I won't be online for a few days as I am going out of town... but I will check back in on Tuesday when I return. Thanks again, everyone.

ReneeP

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I am very nervous about it. We seem to be taking a bit of a slide down hill right now and it's scary. Kaitlyn was very sick until she was diagnosed just before she turned 3. She has multiple hospitalizations prior to that. However, she spent her 3 rd b-day in the hospital and from that point until she turned 12 she was not sick a single day. (not CF related anyway).

She turned 12 in December and a week later she got hit with a terrible virus that floored her. She spent 2 wks in the hospital, was diagnosed with CFRD and her PFTs dropped 80%... She has since recovered most of that.

Three weeks ago she had a very rare reaction to her growth hormone injections and ended up having a spinal tap done...she was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri which we are still struggling with. It's unclear how long recovery from that will take, but the neuroloist said at least 6 months. She's missed 2 weeks of school because of that already.

Then yesterday the dr called with her latest culture results and due to the increase in the pseudomonias he wants her on IV's. I guess the TOBI and cipro didn't help at all.

Last year was my 8 year old's year for problems... now they've switched roles. I guess I should just be grateful it's only one of them at a time....

I won't be online for a few days as I am going out of town... but I will check back in on Tuesday when I return. Thanks again, everyone.

ReneeP

ViviansMom

Renee how are you all doing with the CFRD, Vivian was diagnosed this past Aug. just be for her 10th b-day . I find the prednisone runs her level out the roof; are you having the same problems?

ViviansMom

Renee how are you all doing with the CFRD, Vivian was diagnosed this past Aug. just be for her 10th b-day . I find the prednisone runs her level out the roof; are you having the same problems?

ViviansMom

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

I hope all goes smoothly with the PICC lie insertion. Maggie had a PICC line almost 2 years ago. She was given some ativan prior to the insertion which made her VERY loopy. The nurse's could not get her PICC line in , they tried several times. I encourage you to speak up if you feel they are having trouble and sticking your daughter over and over. We had to have Maggie's PICC line inserted by the radiologist under anesthia. The doctor was wonderful! Got the PICC in first shot. They call it interventional radiology. It was because of The way Maggie 's vein were and probobly because she was so little. They did not use stitches to keep the PICC in. It had a special cath secure to keep the PICC in place whcich worked great. The nurses said they do not use stitches because of risk of infection. Like everyone said not all nurses are created equal when it comes to PICC line. ASk for the best most experienced nurse. Also, if there is anything you can do to get things in order at home prior to doing home IV's I encourage you to do it now. Like asking someonne to make you meals for the freezer. Getting laundry done. Clearing your calender. Anything to make your life easier. Conveniance foods. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your daughter.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

I hope all goes smoothly with the PICC lie insertion. Maggie had a PICC line almost 2 years ago. She was given some ativan prior to the insertion which made her VERY loopy. The nurse's could not get her PICC line in , they tried several times. I encourage you to speak up if you feel they are having trouble and sticking your daughter over and over. We had to have Maggie's PICC line inserted by the radiologist under anesthia. The doctor was wonderful! Got the PICC in first shot. They call it interventional radiology. It was because of The way Maggie 's vein were and probobly because she was so little. They did not use stitches to keep the PICC in. It had a special cath secure to keep the PICC in place whcich worked great. The nurses said they do not use stitches because of risk of infection. Like everyone said not all nurses are created equal when it comes to PICC line. ASk for the best most experienced nurse. Also, if there is anything you can do to get things in order at home prior to doing home IV's I encourage you to do it now. Like asking someonne to make you meals for the freezer. Getting laundry done. Clearing your calender. Anything to make your life easier. Conveniance foods. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your daughter.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
Renee,

miesl

Renee, has your daughter been rechecked for the CFRD since she regained most of her FEV1? Being so ill, it would effect her results. Do you have the diagram that Dr. Moran used to explain?

As far as PICCs go...

Jeremy HATES IVs. Heck, he hates having blood drawn. He hates having a PICC placed (it does hurt some) and they use a large gauge needle. He doesn't like having the PICC line in (it kind of freaks him out a little).

However, he greatly prefers the PICC to an IV. It allows you to be more independent, and it's a heck of a lot less hassle than a regular IV.

When he had a PICC three years ago, it was the stitch-in kind. This time it was a <a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.statlock.com/landing_picc.html">Statlock</a>, no stitches required. However, it needed to be changed weekly with the dressing change.

Her arm is going to be sore for a day or so. Hot packs work wonders - I strongly recommend using them for the first 48.

Since I'm sure she'll be on Tobra, keep checking on her for ringing in the ears.

Good luck!