height and weight

blindhearted

I dont see how being underweight and ur height would have anything to do with a sweat test, other than giving the doctor a reason to give it. I dont believe it would effect the results. If it does, I dont see how. The sweat test measures the concentration of salt in a person's sweat...that is something your body produces, that has nothing to do with your weight/height. If you could post the article that you read it can effect it, that would be helpful.

I've heard that the sweat test can give false negatives, but not false positives...even though there are strict guild lines for the test. It is the main way to test for CF, but IMHO, a genetic test is best, perferrably the full panel. Not only does it say if you have CF or not, but it also says what your mutations are. Sweat test are probably cheaper than genetic test, so I guess that it why they still use that first and not just go straight to the genetic test. Personally, I think if a Dr thinks someone has CF, doing a full genetic panel would save money and more importantly time that could be used to began to properly treat for CF or whatever shows up, and not waste time doing different test and waiting periods to find out the answer.

blindhearted

I dont see how being underweight and ur height would have anything to do with a sweat test, other than giving the doctor a reason to give it. I dont believe it would effect the results. If it does, I dont see how. The sweat test measures the concentration of salt in a person's sweat...that is something your body produces, that has nothing to do with your weight/height. If you could post the article that you read it can effect it, that would be helpful.

I've heard that the sweat test can give false negatives, but not false positives...even though there are strict guild lines for the test. It is the main way to test for CF, but IMHO, a genetic test is best, perferrably the full panel. Not only does it say if you have CF or not, but it also says what your mutations are. Sweat test are probably cheaper than genetic test, so I guess that it why they still use that first and not just go straight to the genetic test. Personally, I think if a Dr thinks someone has CF, doing a full genetic panel would save money and more importantly time that could be used to began to properly treat for CF or whatever shows up, and not waste time doing different test and waiting periods to find out the answer.

blindhearted

blindhearted

blindhearted

<br />
<br />I've heard that the sweat test can give false negatives, but not false positives...even though there are strict guild lines for the test. It is the main way to test for CF, but IMHO, a genetic test is best, perferrably the full panel. Not only does it say if you have CF or not, but it also says what your mutations are. Sweat test are probably cheaper than genetic test, so I guess that it why they still use that first and not just go straight to the genetic test. Personally, I think if a Dr thinks someone has CF, doing a full genetic panel would save money and more importantly time that could be used to began to properly treat for CF or whatever shows up, and not waste time doing different test and waiting periods to find out the answer.

peanut07

Yes No Excuses you make an ok point, but this topic is about an individual with a clearly positive sweat test.

When a sweat test is "positive" it is diagnostic.

A genetic test is then done for confirmation and informational purposes, not diagnosis.

There are a few other diseases that can cause positive sweat tests but those differ symptomatically.

Addisons disease is one off the top of my head.

I have also read that anorexia can cause a false positive but you would know if you were anorexic.

Since she isn't then that obviously isn't the reason for her positive test.

If this poster was referring to a borderline test then your answer would be more relevant but the poster has had a very positive test so telling her the test is worthless can actually do more harm than good.

Getting the genetic test is great for confirmation but unless the original poster has any true concerns that she could have another disease that causes a false positive sweat test she should be treated with CF immediately not after waiting 6 plus weeks for the results of the genetic testing.

peanut07

Yes No Excuses you make an ok point, but this topic is about an individual with a clearly positive sweat test.

A genetic test is then done for confirmation and informational purposes, not diagnosis.

There are a few other diseases that can cause positive sweat tests but those differ symptomatically.

I have also read that anorexia can cause a false positive but you would know if you were anorexic.

If this poster was referring to a borderline test then your answer would be more relevant but the poster has had a very positive test so telling her the test is worthless can actually do more harm than good.

Getting the genetic test is great for confirmation but unless the original poster has any true concerns that she could have another disease that causes a false positive sweat test she should be treated with CF immediately not after waiting 6 plus weeks for the results of the genetic testing.

peanut07

peanut07

peanut07

<br />
<br />When a sweat test is "positive" it is diagnostic.
<br />
<br />A genetic test is then done for confirmation and informational purposes, not diagnosis.
<br />
<br />There are a few other diseases that can cause positive sweat tests but those differ symptomatically.
<br />
<br />Addisons disease is one off the top of my head.
<br />
<br />I have also read that anorexia can cause a false positive but you would know if you were anorexic.
<br />
<br />Since she isn't then that obviously isn't the reason for her positive test.
<br />
<br />If this poster was referring to a borderline test then your answer would be more relevant but the poster has had a very positive test so telling her the test is worthless can actually do more harm than good.
<br />
<br />Getting the genetic test is great for confirmation but unless the original poster has any true concerns that she could have another disease that causes a false positive sweat test she should be treated with CF immediately not after waiting 6 plus weeks for the results of the genetic testing.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

NoExcuses

oh my reply wasn't about this specific situation and it didn't sound like yours was either. "many doctors consider a sweat test the gold standard" didn't answer the OP's question.

so i figured you were talking in generalities and therefore that is how i was replying. of course a sweat test can diagnose. but it can also miss a positive CF diagnosis. same with a genetic test, but this happens less frequently with a Full Panel genetic test. therefore a sweat test, as you originally posted, cannot be a gold standard. that's all i was saying.

NoExcuses

oh my reply wasn't about this specific situation and it didn't sound like yours was either. "many doctors consider a sweat test the gold standard" didn't answer the OP's question.

so i figured you were talking in generalities and therefore that is how i was replying. of course a sweat test can diagnose. but it can also miss a positive CF diagnosis. same with a genetic test, but this happens less frequently with a Full Panel genetic test. therefore a sweat test, as you originally posted, cannot be a gold standard. that's all i was saying.

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

NoExcuses

<br />
<br />so i figured you were talking in generalities and therefore that is how i was replying. of course a sweat test can diagnose. but it can also miss a positive CF diagnosis. same with a genetic test, but this happens less frequently with a Full Panel genetic test. therefore a sweat test, as you originally posted, cannot be a gold standard. that's all i was saying.
<br />
<br />

bittyhorse23

Ok this is my take on the sweat test:

Look at it like a pregnancy test. You can have false negatives but not false positives. But either way if you still suspect you go to the OB and get tested. Just like with a sweat test. If it comes back negative or borderline you get the genetic panel done. If you have a positive pregnancy test you still get bloodwork done and an untrasound right to make sure? Well what about with sweat tests...same thing. Positive result means more tests to guarntee the positive. Thats how I look at it.

bittyhorse23

Look at it like a pregnancy test. You can have false negatives but not false positives. But either way if you still suspect you go to the OB and get tested. Just like with a sweat test. If it comes back negative or borderline you get the genetic panel done. If you have a positive pregnancy test you still get bloodwork done and an untrasound right to make sure? Well what about with sweat tests...same thing. Positive result means more tests to guarntee the positive. Thats how I look at it.

bittyhorse23

bittyhorse23

bittyhorse23

<br />
<br />Look at it like a pregnancy test. You can have false negatives but not false positives. But either way if you still suspect you go to the OB and get tested. Just like with a sweat test. If it comes back negative or borderline you get the genetic panel done. If you have a positive pregnancy test you still get bloodwork done and an untrasound right to make sure? Well what about with sweat tests...same thing. Positive result means more tests to guarntee the positive. Thats how I look at it.
<br />
<br />