if you knew your unborn child had cf would you abort it

janddburke

personally, my husband and I waited 6 years to have another child after Jess's diagnosis. Because we couldn't answer this very question.
No CF but she is a carrier. another guilt trip, eh?

is it selfish to want another child without CF, yes
is it selfish to want another child, yes.

making a child is the ultimate selfish act. and one that should not be taken lightly and as difficult as this topic has been if more people discussed up front then maybe there would be fewer abortions.

very difficult but very worthwhile.

janddburke

personally, my husband and I waited 6 years to have another child after Jess's diagnosis. Because we couldn't answer this very question.

making a child is the ultimate selfish act. and one that should not be taken lightly and as difficult as this topic has been if more people discussed up front then maybe there would be fewer abortions.

janddburke

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>janddburke</b></i>

very difficult but very worthwhile.</end quote></div>

<b>I also feel this is very important. Not just for the abortion issue, but what people will face with CF. As I said in my original post right/wrong, good/bad it still is an issue that exists. <i>As I have said before I am very happy as is Jeanne on how civil this thread has remained. All views are important.</i></b>

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>janddburke</b></i>

<b>I also feel this is very important. Not just for the abortion issue, but what people will face with CF. As I said in my original post right/wrong, good/bad it still is an issue that exists. <i>As I have said before I am very happy as is Jeanne on how civil this thread has remained. All views are important.</i></b>

JazzysMom

CFHockeyMom

Firstly, let me say that I believe abortion is an individual choice. I don't believe in regulating morality and that's really what abortion comes down to; a moral dilema. However, I don't believe in abortion as a form of birth control. That said, if a couple knows they are both carriers and decide to "risk it" then I don't agree in abortion. They knew going in what the odds were and need to accept responsibility for their actions. If CF is that much of a "no go" then they should look into adoption or IVF w/ PGD and permanent birth control options.

In the case of most people, that don't know they are carriers, that's a different issue. For me, as much as I love Sean and can't imagine my life without him, yes, I do believe I would have aborted had I known he had CF. Fact is, his life is very hard. Yes, many people have hard lives but to <b>knowingly</b> make his life harder, than say his brother's, is not something I would have chosen to do.

I've had my tubes tied so having another CFer is not likely but in the event I were to find myself pregnant again, I would abort a CF pregnancy. Not only for the reasons I stated above but also because I don't believe adding another CFer to the family is fair to Sean or his brother.

CFHockeyMom

Firstly, let me say that I believe abortion is an individual choice. I don't believe in regulating morality and that's really what abortion comes down to; a moral dilema. However, I don't believe in abortion as a form of birth control. That said, if a couple knows they are both carriers and decide to "risk it" then I don't agree in abortion. They knew going in what the odds were and need to accept responsibility for their actions. If CF is that much of a "no go" then they should look into adoption or IVF w/ PGD and permanent birth control options.

In the case of most people, that don't know they are carriers, that's a different issue. For me, as much as I love Sean and can't imagine my life without him, yes, I do believe I would have aborted had I known he had CF. Fact is, his life is very hard. Yes, many people have hard lives but to <b>knowingly</b> make his life harder, than say his brother's, is not something I would have chosen to do.

I've had my tubes tied so having another CFer is not likely but in the event I were to find myself pregnant again, I would abort a CF pregnancy. Not only for the reasons I stated above but also because I don't believe adding another CFer to the family is fair to Sean or his brother.

CFHockeyMom

amysmom

Mothers are supposed to protect their children at any cost. I think the fact that you already know there's a chance that your baby would suffer physically and mentally from a horrible disease would you make you (anyone) extremely selfish. It's not about how much WE want a baby - it's making sure our baby would have the absolute best chance at a good life. Even if that means we do without one of our dreams.

amysmom

Mothers are supposed to protect their children at any cost. I think the fact that you already know there's a chance that your baby would suffer physically and mentally from a horrible disease would you make you (anyone) extremely selfish. It's not about how much WE want a baby - it's making sure our baby would have the absolute best chance at a good life. Even if that means we do without one of our dreams.

amysmom

amysmom

p.s. Aborting your baby would be murder and the devastating after affects (depression, regret, self loathing) would be awful.

amysmom

p.s. Aborting your baby would be murder and the devastating after affects (depression, regret, self loathing) would be awful.

amysmom

fourkidsmom

I knew my son who is now 6 yrs old had CF when I was 7 months pregnant and I would of never of thought of terminating the pregancy at any time. I believe everyone has their own choice, I don't think all people can handle having a child with CF. I hate what he has to go thru, and to tell you the truth the last 6 yrs have been hell!!! But I would much rather have him than to never of had him at all. He handles everything thrown at him with strength and is always up in spirits. He is our blessing!

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

I knew my son who is now 6 yrs old had CF when I was 7 months pregnant and I would of never of thought of terminating the pregancy at any time. I believe everyone has their own choice, I don't think all people can handle having a child with CF. I hate what he has to go thru, and to tell you the truth the last 6 yrs have been hell!!! But I would much rather have him than to never of had him at all. He handles everything thrown at him with strength and is always up in spirits. He is our blessing!

Fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

Fourkidsmom

lightNlife

You're right about the after affect of abortion.

As I read the books "Victims and Victors" as a way to help me weigh the decision whether to abort a rapist's child that I conceived, I came to the realization that I would find a way to handle the trauma of the assault, but I'd never be able to handle knowing that I had added further violence to the situation.

It didn't matter that I could completely justify doing so (my health was failing as a result of being pregnant and there was talk of having a 'therapeutic abortion'). I was engaged at the time and I had a dream that my husband to be was telling me he couldn't marry a murderer. I stood to lose far more from an abortion that the supposed freedom that it promised.

My decision was was was right for me. I can make decisions for other people. I believe it's possible to be pro-choice and not be pro-abortion. It just depends on your perspective. My CHOICE was to continue with the pregnancy. I'll never regret how I handled the situation.

lightNlife

You're right about the after affect of abortion.

As I read the books "Victims and Victors" as a way to help me weigh the decision whether to abort a rapist's child that I conceived, I came to the realization that I would find a way to handle the trauma of the assault, but I'd never be able to handle knowing that I had added further violence to the situation.

It didn't matter that I could completely justify doing so (my health was failing as a result of being pregnant and there was talk of having a 'therapeutic abortion'). I was engaged at the time and I had a dream that my husband to be was telling me he couldn't marry a murderer. I stood to lose far more from an abortion that the supposed freedom that it promised.

My decision was was was right for me. I can make decisions for other people. I believe it's possible to be pro-choice and not be pro-abortion. It just depends on your perspective. My CHOICE was to continue with the pregnancy. I'll never regret how I handled the situation.