if you knew your unborn child had cf would you abort it

Emily65Roses

I'm not saying abortion isn't abused. But it shouldn't be outlawed for everyone just because some people abuse it. Much like anything else. Alcohol, for instance. But this isn't an whether or not any abortion is okay debate, it's a specific debate. I just had to put that info out there because you made it sound as if women aborting themselves before Roe. v. Wade were very few and far between... and fact is, they weren't <i>that</i> rare.

Emily65Roses

I'm not saying abortion isn't abused. But it shouldn't be outlawed for everyone just because some people abuse it. Much like anything else. Alcohol, for instance. But this isn't an whether or not any abortion is okay debate, it's a specific debate. I just had to put that info out there because you made it sound as if women aborting themselves before Roe. v. Wade were very few and far between... and fact is, they weren't <i>that</i> rare.

Emily65Roses

dasjsmum

Well, I am against abortion morally. I understand however why people would make that decision, especially if they had no support etc.

I dont know how many women had 'backyard' abortions, I just replied to something someone else said...I dont know if this is a viable argument to keep abortion, that's all I meant.

Do I think abortion is ever justified, for example, do I consider CF a disease that warrants an abortion...from my experience, no.

However, I would not ever judge anyone for making the decision to abort a child, it is not a decision anyone on this board would take lightly I know.

dasjsmum

Well, I am against abortion morally. I understand however why people would make that decision, especially if they had no support etc.

I dont know how many women had 'backyard' abortions, I just replied to something someone else said...I dont know if this is a viable argument to keep abortion, that's all I meant.

Do I think abortion is ever justified, for example, do I consider CF a disease that warrants an abortion...from my experience, no.

However, I would not ever judge anyone for making the decision to abort a child, it is not a decision anyone on this board would take lightly I know.

dasjsmum

H

hopesiris

I did abort when I was 16 weeks pregnant. Our daughter had double delta F508. My pregnancy was troubled from the beginning, with bleeding and cramping. We suspected there was something wrong and we had already decided under what types of circumstances we'd terminate. We decided on preventing human suffering and based our decision on the medical care that is currently available for people with CF.

My husband has a rare disease and got very sick once. I've had chronic respiratory problems my entire adult life (I'm waiting on my Ambry amplified which I'm guessing is negative since it's been 4 weeks and still no results). I'm sure our own experiences influenced our decision.

H

hopesiris

I did abort when I was 16 weeks pregnant. Our daughter had double delta F508. My pregnancy was troubled from the beginning, with bleeding and cramping. We suspected there was something wrong and we had already decided under what types of circumstances we'd terminate. We decided on preventing human suffering and based our decision on the medical care that is currently available for people with CF.

My husband has a rare disease and got very sick once. I've had chronic respiratory problems my entire adult life (I'm waiting on my Ambry amplified which I'm guessing is negative since it's been 4 weeks and still no results). I'm sure our own experiences influenced our decision.

H

hopesiris

Emily65Roses

Just for reference purposes:

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.abortionaccess.org/AAP/publica_resources/fact_sheets/illegalabortion.htm">Abortion statistics</a>

"Prior to Roe v. Wade, as many as 5,000 American women died annually as a direct result of unsafe abortions."

Emily65Roses

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.abortionaccess.org/AAP/publica_resources/fact_sheets/illegalabortion.htm">Abortion statistics</a>

"Prior to Roe v. Wade, as many as 5,000 American women died annually as a direct result of unsafe abortions."

Emily65Roses

Lilith

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>dasjsmum</b></i>

If abortions were outlawed, there would be a lot more children available for adoption.</end quote></div>

There are already TOO MANY children stuck in the system because no one wants to adopt them. Dunno about where you live, but where I am the local news station basically has to advertise kids for adoption on Wedensday afternoons, every week. Its a sad state of affairs. And outlawing abortion will only serve to make matters worse, not better.

Carry on...

Lilith

If abortions were outlawed, there would be a lot more children available for adoption.</end quote></div>

There are already TOO MANY children stuck in the system because no one wants to adopt them. Dunno about where you live, but where I am the local news station basically has to advertise kids for adoption on Wedensday afternoons, every week. Its a sad state of affairs. And outlawing abortion will only serve to make matters worse, not better.

Carry on...

Lilith

Carry on...

dasjsmum

When you say 'too many children... advertised for adoption' etc. I suppose these are older children in the welfare system with lots of issues, or are they new born?

I also must say to Emily, your paper is heavily biased toward abortion...and... after Roe v. Wade 500,000 (or is it more like a million?) plus women died every year as a direct result of safe abortion...

Sorry, couldnt resist!

dasjsmum

When you say 'too many children... advertised for adoption' etc. I suppose these are older children in the welfare system with lots of issues, or are they new born?

I also must say to Emily, your paper is heavily biased toward abortion...and... after Roe v. Wade 500,000 (or is it more like a million?) plus women died every year as a direct result of safe abortion...

Sorry, couldnt resist!

dasjsmum

Sorry, couldnt resist!

Jennifer1981

I have done research on Domestic Adoption & International Adoption for my own knowledge since my husband and I may be taking that route in the near future.

I have spoken with Kids Peace, Catholic Charities, and Diakon. Also, my husband and I attended an orientation at Diakon.

For Domestic Adoption (Public Adoption) - Most of these children are 5 years and up. They are considered special needs by either race, age, siblings, or mental, physical, emotional issues. They could have any combination of these. They often require some sort of counseling and constant supervision for an extented period of time. These children are in many cases not adopted-out to parents with prior children due to their extensive needs.

There are on occassion children under the age of 5-years-old. However, these children suffer with maybe Fetal Acohol Syndrome, HIV, CF, Down's, or other life-threating disease or disorders. These children are up for public adoption because finding a proper equipped family is very difficult.

My husband and I looked into this a few months ago decided this was not for us. We are both 25 and this would be our first child. I'm not saying we had to adopt a baby by any means, but we were hoping to adopt a baby/toddler no more than 2-years-old. When we went to the hour orientation, you could tell they really didn't take interest into us. They were looking for foster families, or families willing to adopt an older child or sibling group. Plus, I told them I had CF, which I could see backed them up a few feet. They said it could take 2-3 years for a 2-year-old. They kept trying to push an older child. We both said, "no", because we are only 25!!! Just because I have CF and may not be able to have a child naturally shouldn't mean that I must "settle" for an older child. This would be our first child. I think I have a right to be able to at least adopt the child of my choice.

So, we ruled out domestic adoption. There is the fost-adopt program which gives you access to any infact; however, you are a foster parent only and for 2-3 years. In that 2-3 years, the child may end up yours or may go back to the biological parents. Both my husband and I weren't willing to take that risk. We may not be able to have biological children yet they give you this child saying that it's yours someday when truthfully it may not be. I couldn't imagine raising this child for 2-3 years and having to give it up. Plus for those 2-3 years, you take the child to visitation, which may be unsupervised. It's a lot of running and emotional roller coasters.

International Adoption - With this option, you have access to adopting babies with fewer health-issues vs. Domestic Adoption. In my opinion, this is what method I would go to adopt if we so choose to. Yes, it carries a hefty price tag, but it would be so worth it. We have to take out an adoption loan because really who has $30,000 right now on the spot? I do think the cost to adopt a child in need is ridiculous, but these "baby businesses" know that you WILL pay it for a child. That is the name of their game - and they are right.

However, you must look at the requirements for each country prior to stepping into the ring. I HAVE CF. Many adoption agencies already turn their head no matter how good I am, no matter what life-expectency my doc states, no matter whether I run 2 miles a day or not, and so on. The last thing you want to do is start something and be unable to finish.

My personal choice has always been to seeking a natural, biological pregnancy first. If achieved, great. If not, I would turn to adoption. Even if I achieved a natural pregnancy and wanted more children, I wished to adopt. I did not/do not have any intentions of having more than 1 pregnancy.

I do feel strongly, though, that the adoption/fostering system needs amends. To adopt younger children, there is such a wait. By law, parental rights are to be terminated after 18 months if the parents are still "unfit". Well, my county, Schuylkill County, ignores that law. Parental rights drag on for as much as 5 years, and the county gets away with it. My husband and I were advised to adopt from Berks County by Diakon (an agency) because of how corrupt our county is. All the agencies that we looked into were from out-of-county. But then, you are flagged because you don't live nearby. So infants are available, but unattainable because of the system. It's the systems fault that there are as many older children in the system that there is. They make it that way.

Private adoption is something that I have only recently been introduced to. I'm only learning about that right now so I can't comment.

Well, I'm sure that's plenty enough of a life story. Sorry about that. I just thought you wanted some questions answered, and I had lots of answers. Take care!

Jennifer1981

I have done research on Domestic Adoption & International Adoption for my own knowledge since my husband and I may be taking that route in the near future.

I have spoken with Kids Peace, Catholic Charities, and Diakon. Also, my husband and I attended an orientation at Diakon.

For Domestic Adoption (Public Adoption) - Most of these children are 5 years and up. They are considered special needs by either race, age, siblings, or mental, physical, emotional issues. They could have any combination of these. They often require some sort of counseling and constant supervision for an extented period of time. These children are in many cases not adopted-out to parents with prior children due to their extensive needs.

There are on occassion children under the age of 5-years-old. However, these children suffer with maybe Fetal Acohol Syndrome, HIV, CF, Down's, or other life-threating disease or disorders. These children are up for public adoption because finding a proper equipped family is very difficult.

My husband and I looked into this a few months ago decided this was not for us. We are both 25 and this would be our first child. I'm not saying we had to adopt a baby by any means, but we were hoping to adopt a baby/toddler no more than 2-years-old. When we went to the hour orientation, you could tell they really didn't take interest into us. They were looking for foster families, or families willing to adopt an older child or sibling group. Plus, I told them I had CF, which I could see backed them up a few feet. They said it could take 2-3 years for a 2-year-old. They kept trying to push an older child. We both said, "no", because we are only 25!!! Just because I have CF and may not be able to have a child naturally shouldn't mean that I must "settle" for an older child. This would be our first child. I think I have a right to be able to at least adopt the child of my choice.

So, we ruled out domestic adoption. There is the fost-adopt program which gives you access to any infact; however, you are a foster parent only and for 2-3 years. In that 2-3 years, the child may end up yours or may go back to the biological parents. Both my husband and I weren't willing to take that risk. We may not be able to have biological children yet they give you this child saying that it's yours someday when truthfully it may not be. I couldn't imagine raising this child for 2-3 years and having to give it up. Plus for those 2-3 years, you take the child to visitation, which may be unsupervised. It's a lot of running and emotional roller coasters.

International Adoption - With this option, you have access to adopting babies with fewer health-issues vs. Domestic Adoption. In my opinion, this is what method I would go to adopt if we so choose to. Yes, it carries a hefty price tag, but it would be so worth it. We have to take out an adoption loan because really who has $30,000 right now on the spot? I do think the cost to adopt a child in need is ridiculous, but these "baby businesses" know that you WILL pay it for a child. That is the name of their game - and they are right.

However, you must look at the requirements for each country prior to stepping into the ring. I HAVE CF. Many adoption agencies already turn their head no matter how good I am, no matter what life-expectency my doc states, no matter whether I run 2 miles a day or not, and so on. The last thing you want to do is start something and be unable to finish.

My personal choice has always been to seeking a natural, biological pregnancy first. If achieved, great. If not, I would turn to adoption. Even if I achieved a natural pregnancy and wanted more children, I wished to adopt. I did not/do not have any intentions of having more than 1 pregnancy.

I do feel strongly, though, that the adoption/fostering system needs amends. To adopt younger children, there is such a wait. By law, parental rights are to be terminated after 18 months if the parents are still "unfit". Well, my county, Schuylkill County, ignores that law. Parental rights drag on for as much as 5 years, and the county gets away with it. My husband and I were advised to adopt from Berks County by Diakon (an agency) because of how corrupt our county is. All the agencies that we looked into were from out-of-county. But then, you are flagged because you don't live nearby. So infants are available, but unattainable because of the system. It's the systems fault that there are as many older children in the system that there is. They make it that way.

Private adoption is something that I have only recently been introduced to. I'm only learning about that right now so I can't comment.

Well, I'm sure that's plenty enough of a life story. Sorry about that. I just thought you wanted some questions answered, and I had lots of answers. Take care!