if you knew your unborn child had cf would you abort it

Emily65Roses

It's not a paper I wrote, it's a site I found. And I know it's biased towards pro-choice, but even if you take the lowest numbers, it's still pretty high. The problem with pre-Roe v. Wade abortion information is that... it was illegal, so there isn't really any. We know there were some, but we don't have concrete numbers. I did just get done watching a video in my Human Sexuality class that interviewed older women who had had illegal abortions in the 60s. It also interviewed some of the docs and nurses that did them. They were some pretty horrific stories.

Like I said, I know abortion is abused. I don't even agree with the abuse, despite being a liberal "hippie." But if Sally and Samantha abuse abortion, does it mean Sarah shouldn't be able to get one? Not in my opinion. That's basically all I was saying. And whether or not every Jill and Jane on the street would do a home abortion, there would be enough of them to make it a problem.

Emily65Roses

It's not a paper I wrote, it's a site I found. And I know it's biased towards pro-choice, but even if you take the lowest numbers, it's still pretty high. The problem with pre-Roe v. Wade abortion information is that... it was illegal, so there isn't really any. We know there were some, but we don't have concrete numbers. I did just get done watching a video in my Human Sexuality class that interviewed older women who had had illegal abortions in the 60s. It also interviewed some of the docs and nurses that did them. They were some pretty horrific stories.

Like I said, I know abortion is abused. I don't even agree with the abuse, despite being a liberal "hippie." But if Sally and Samantha abuse abortion, does it mean Sarah shouldn't be able to get one? Not in my opinion. That's basically all I was saying. And whether or not every Jill and Jane on the street would do a home abortion, there would be enough of them to make it a problem.

Lilith

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>dasjsmum</b></i>

When you say 'too many children... advertised for adoption' etc. I suppose these are older children in the welfare system with lots of issues, or are they new born?</end quote></div>

Uh...the relevance of that would be what? Whether the kids are older (and by older I mean 10 years old at the most) or new born, it doesn't matter. They are still children left in the system because someone didn't want them. And no, to my knowledge these children are well-behaved and lack "lots of issues", whatever that means.

Lilith

When you say 'too many children... advertised for adoption' etc. I suppose these are older children in the welfare system with lots of issues, or are they new born?</end quote></div>

Uh...the relevance of that would be what? Whether the kids are older (and by older I mean 10 years old at the most) or new born, it doesn't matter. They are still children left in the system because someone didn't want them. And no, to my knowledge these children are well-behaved and lack "lots of issues", whatever that means.

Lilith

Pete

Would 'I' abort?.

Dunno, it would be a mutual decision however, but because of our situation we'd have to go IVF anyway and the embryo would get "screened" for "abnormalities" at that point as it is...

To "abort" at that point?, without having given it appropriate and realistic consideration I'd say it more than likely that we'd "deny" that particular embryo...speaking for myself only here.

Pete

Would 'I' abort?.

Dunno, it would be a mutual decision however, but because of our situation we'd have to go IVF anyway and the embryo would get "screened" for "abnormalities" at that point as it is...

To "abort" at that point?, without having given it appropriate and realistic consideration I'd say it more than likely that we'd "deny" that particular embryo...speaking for myself only here.

Pete

Would 'I' abort?.

dasjsmum

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Lilith</b></i>

Uh...the relevance of that would be what? Whether the kids are older (and by older I mean 10 years old at the most) or new born, it doesn't matter. They are still children left in the system because someone didn't want them. And no, to my knowledge these children are well-behaved and lack "lots of issues", whatever that means.</end quote></div>

The relevance of that would be that those children came into the system as older children, not as babies.
I was saying that if abortions were unavailable, there would be a lot more children available for adoption, as in babies.
People arent really that interested in taking on an older child with issues, which most of these children you are talking about would have, as they would be from disadvantaged/drug use etc. back grounds obviously, and have been removed from their parent's care.

I dont think you would find any children 'left in the system' who started there as newborns, unless they has some profound disability.

dasjsmum

Uh...the relevance of that would be what? Whether the kids are older (and by older I mean 10 years old at the most) or new born, it doesn't matter. They are still children left in the system because someone didn't want them. And no, to my knowledge these children are well-behaved and lack "lots of issues", whatever that means.</end quote></div>

The relevance of that would be that those children came into the system as older children, not as babies.
I was saying that if abortions were unavailable, there would be a lot more children available for adoption, as in babies.
People arent really that interested in taking on an older child with issues, which most of these children you are talking about would have, as they would be from disadvantaged/drug use etc. back grounds obviously, and have been removed from their parent's care.

I dont think you would find any children 'left in the system' who started there as newborns, unless they has some profound disability.

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>kswitch</b></i>

Roe V. Wade was a long time ago, things have changed...like 500,000 plus ( I dont know the exact number for the US) people killed before birth. I dont think the people who fought the battle for a womans right to choose had that vision at the time</end quote></div>

of course they didn't have that exact vision at the time, people can't oredict the future, but they did know that if something wasn't done, things would get worse. of course the numbers get larger; population grows, and there's more of everything. it's not really fair to talk about one ballooned number and ignore the rest. it's the percentages and the consequences that are important. they needed to stop unsafe, unregualted abortions as soon as possibel before the industry became too big to battle.</end quote></div>

The point I was making here is that when abortion was legalised it was not with the view that people would use it as a form of birth control.

The fact that the numbers are higher (way,way higher), is not because there has been a growth in population, but because many people think abortion is an easy option to an unwanted pregnancy, which ofcourse it isnt.

dasjsmum

Roe V. Wade was a long time ago, things have changed...like 500,000 plus ( I dont know the exact number for the US) people killed before birth. I dont think the people who fought the battle for a womans right to choose had that vision at the time</end quote></div>

of course they didn't have that exact vision at the time, people can't oredict the future, but they did know that if something wasn't done, things would get worse. of course the numbers get larger; population grows, and there's more of everything. it's not really fair to talk about one ballooned number and ignore the rest. it's the percentages and the consequences that are important. they needed to stop unsafe, unregualted abortions as soon as possibel before the industry became too big to battle.</end quote></div>

The point I was making here is that when abortion was legalised it was not with the view that people would use it as a form of birth control.

The fact that the numbers are higher (way,way higher), is not because there has been a growth in population, but because many people think abortion is an easy option to an unwanted pregnancy, which ofcourse it isnt.

dasjsmum

dasjsmum

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>bonniebaby</b></i>

I did abort when I was 16 weeks pregnant. Our daughter had double delta F508. My pregnancy was troubled from the beginning, with bleeding and cramping. We suspected there was something wrong and we had already decided under what types of circumstances we'd terminate. We decided on preventing human suffering and based our decision on the medical care that is currently available for people with CF.

My husband has a rare disease and got very sick once. I've had chronic respiratory problems my entire adult life (I'm waiting on my Ambry amplified which I'm guessing is negative since it's been 4 weeks and still no results). I'm sure our own experiences influenced our decision.</end quote></div>

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

dasjsmum

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>bonniebaby</b></i>

I did abort when I was 16 weeks pregnant. Our daughter had double delta F508. My pregnancy was troubled from the beginning, with bleeding and cramping. We suspected there was something wrong and we had already decided under what types of circumstances we'd terminate. We decided on preventing human suffering and based our decision on the medical care that is currently available for people with CF.

My husband has a rare disease and got very sick once. I've had chronic respiratory problems my entire adult life (I'm waiting on my Ambry amplified which I'm guessing is negative since it's been 4 weeks and still no results). I'm sure our own experiences influenced our decision.</end quote></div>

dasjsmum

shamrock

Just thought I would pipe in here and say that abortion is illegal here where I live. We don't have escalating problems with back alley abortions, women dying trying to do it themselves. If you REALLY want an abortion you fly to the nearest other country and have it done there.

I think people fear the worst when anything tries to be banned.

shamrock

Just thought I would pipe in here and say that abortion is illegal here where I live. We don't have escalating problems with back alley abortions, women dying trying to do it themselves. If you REALLY want an abortion you fly to the nearest other country and have it done there.

shamrock