if you knew your unborn child had cf would you abort it

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I found out my daughter had CF when I was 5 months pregnant with her via genetic testing, total shock,, no history of CF(all been heard before). I felt her move inside of me when she was 12 weeks old, I could not abort, I fell in love with her before she ever took her first breathe. I am pro choice , I would not be able to live with myself if I ended my pregancy. it's very hard to put this into words since it's so close to home but that was our personal experience.

Rebjane

Super Moderator
I found out my daughter had CF when I was 5 months pregnant with her via genetic testing, total shock,, no history of CF(all been heard before). I felt her move inside of me when she was 12 weeks old, I could not abort, I fell in love with her before she ever took her first breathe. I am pro choice , I would not be able to live with myself if I ended my pregancy. it's very hard to put this into words since it's so close to home but that was our personal experience.

M

mneville

Nope. This child that I have created is just perfect in my eyes and future children too!
Megan, mom to Aidan, 2 with CF

M

mneville

Nope. This child that I have created is just perfect in my eyes and future children too!

M

mneville

jdubbs

Wow, this is a tough one. Personally, my battle with cf has so far been a relatively fair fight. It's hard to imagine saying "yes" when that would mean I would never exist. No one on this planet has a life mapped out to be an easy one. Heck, if I didn't have cf, I don't know who I'd be.

This thread reminds me of the decision many deaf parents have to make about their children and cochlear implants.... As far as I understand, many deaf parents would PREFER their children to be deaf. Granted, being deaf doesn't cause physical pain, but the point is that ones satisfaction in life has more to do with perspective than anything else.

-James

30 w/cf

jdubbs

Wow, this is a tough one. Personally, my battle with cf has so far been a relatively fair fight. It's hard to imagine saying "yes" when that would mean I would never exist. No one on this planet has a life mapped out to be an easy one. Heck, if I didn't have cf, I don't know who I'd be.

This thread reminds me of the decision many deaf parents have to make about their children and cochlear implants.... As far as I understand, many deaf parents would PREFER their children to be deaf. Granted, being deaf doesn't cause physical pain, but the point is that ones satisfaction in life has more to do with perspective than anything else.

-James

30 w/cf

jdubbs

-James

30 w/cf

ReneeP

Having already been in that situation, it's easy for me to say no. My first daughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and I ended up pregnant again about a year later (not a deliberate pregnancy but more of a pill mishap) but I knew from day 1 that I would not abort. I had an amnio at 17 weeks and knew she had CF, but the thought of aborting never crossed my mind. I wanted to know just to be emotionally prepared.

ReneeP

Having already been in that situation, it's easy for me to say no. My first daughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 and I ended up pregnant again about a year later (not a deliberate pregnancy but more of a pill mishap) but I knew from day 1 that I would not abort. I had an amnio at 17 weeks and knew she had CF, but the thought of aborting never crossed my mind. I wanted to know just to be emotionally prepared.

ReneeP