Intention

SaltyAndSweet

What about basic physic principles? The movie contradicts some of those well known "laws". I watched the movie, years ago, ironically I was studying quantum physics around that same time. It was discussed briefly in some of my courses and it the movie was not given much credit by my highly educated professors. The movie was written to bring in money, not so much to educate, or raise awareness. It was a while ago since I have watched the movie, so pardon my lack of specific examples. (I am not going to run out to rent it again just to appease you either) I do remember that you have to listen carefully to what each person would say. They would use the word "MAY" where some movie watchers would take the statement as fact, when the "professors" are pointing out an unknown and a POSSIBILITY that something could be caused by something else when it just as simply could be caused by something else.

I am angry that you insult my intelligence Faust. How dare you say that there is no way I could understand something so complex. YES, quantum physics IS complex, and I HAVE studied it! Thanks for your insult!

So if I believe you, I "gave" myself diabetes by thinking I wanted it? That is just insane!

Now, I do believe that positive thinking can give a little boost to the immune system, by a chemical process, but do I believe that thinking can cure AIDS?!!! Not physically possible. (sorry)

SaltyAndSweet

What about basic physic principles? The movie contradicts some of those well known "laws". I watched the movie, years ago, ironically I was studying quantum physics around that same time. It was discussed briefly in some of my courses and it the movie was not given much credit by my highly educated professors. The movie was written to bring in money, not so much to educate, or raise awareness. It was a while ago since I have watched the movie, so pardon my lack of specific examples. (I am not going to run out to rent it again just to appease you either) I do remember that you have to listen carefully to what each person would say. They would use the word "MAY" where some movie watchers would take the statement as fact, when the "professors" are pointing out an unknown and a POSSIBILITY that something could be caused by something else when it just as simply could be caused by something else.

I am angry that you insult my intelligence Faust. How dare you say that there is no way I could understand something so complex. YES, quantum physics IS complex, and I HAVE studied it! Thanks for your insult!

So if I believe you, I "gave" myself diabetes by thinking I wanted it? That is just insane!

Now, I do believe that positive thinking can give a little boost to the immune system, by a chemical process, but do I believe that thinking can cure AIDS?!!! Not physically possible. (sorry)

SaltyAndSweet

SaltyAndSweet

SaltyAndSweet

<br />
<br />I am angry that you insult my intelligence Faust. How dare you say that there is no way I could understand something so complex. YES, quantum physics IS complex, and I HAVE studied it! Thanks for your insult!
<br />
<br />So if I believe you, I "gave" myself diabetes by thinking I wanted it? That is just insane!
<br />
<br />Now, I do believe that positive thinking can give a little boost to the immune system, by a chemical process, but do I believe that thinking can cure AIDS?!!! Not physically possible. (sorry)

C

cfsucks

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SaltyAndSweet</b></i>
I am angry that you insult my intelligence Faust. How dare you say that there is no way I could understand something so complex. YES, quantum physics IS complex, and I HAVE studied it! Thanks for your insult!</end quote></div>

are you being sarcastic? where did he insult your intelligence?

C

cfsucks

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>SaltyAndSweet</b></i>
I am angry that you insult my intelligence Faust. How dare you say that there is no way I could understand something so complex. YES, quantum physics IS complex, and I HAVE studied it! Thanks for your insult!</end quote></div>

C

cfsucks

C

cfsucks

I am angry that you insult my intelligence Faust. How dare you say that there is no way I could understand something so complex. YES, quantum physics IS complex, and I HAVE studied it! Thanks for your insult!</end quote>

C

cfsucks

<br />I am angry that you insult my intelligence Faust. How dare you say that there is no way I could understand something so complex. YES, quantum physics IS complex, and I HAVE studied it! Thanks for your insult!</end quote>
<br />
<br />are you being sarcastic? where did he insult your intelligence?

SaltyAndSweet

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Faust</b></i>
...quantum physics is so ridiculously complex, the chances of non high end science academics understanding the principles is very low.</end quote></div>

The basic "fundamentals" described in the movie are what are twisted to suit the money makers of the movie.
You can't build a belief off of twisted fundamentals without your conclusions becoming completely skewed.

SaltyAndSweet

...quantum physics is so ridiculously complex, the chances of non high end science academics understanding the principles is very low.</end quote></div>

The basic "fundamentals" described in the movie are what are twisted to suit the money makers of the movie.
You can't build a belief off of twisted fundamentals without your conclusions becoming completely skewed.

SaltyAndSweet

SaltyAndSweet

...quantum physics is so ridiculously complex, the chances of non high end science academics understanding the principles is very low.</end quote>

SaltyAndSweet

<br />...quantum physics is so ridiculously complex, the chances of non high end science academics understanding the principles is very low.</end quote>
<br />
<br />The basic "fundamentals" described in the movie are what are twisted to suit the money makers of the movie.
<br />You can't build a belief off of twisted fundamentals without your conclusions becoming completely skewed.
<br />

NYCLawGirl

Hi guys,

I have absolutely NO background in physics (I was an english major and went on to be a lawyer, lol...it's about as far from the sciences as you can get!), and although I did see the movie a long time ago when it first came out, I have to admit I don't remember too much about it that than the fact that it was pretty entertaining for a science movie. That said, I think this thread, and the original info posted by Faust is really interesting, esp. in light of the Secret and all the other stuff floating around in popular culture right now about the power of intention.

I think most of us would probably agree that positive thinking isn't going to cure CF, or most other diseases for that matter. I also totally understand where Saltyandsweet is coming from in that it can sometimes feel like those sorts of theories are placing blame for illness on the people who suffer from them, simplifying everything down to try and say that if we all just had a better attitude there would be no illness. Personally, I think that's phooey. I have known plenty of people with chronic illness who have amazing attitudes in the face of ridiculous challenges, and I also know plenty of "healthy" people who fall into a deep funk the second some tiny little thing goes wrong. That said, I don't think Faust or most other people who bring up this topic mean to insinuate that illness can be completely corrected by thoughts or that symptoms are the fault of the patient. I think it has more to do with just acknowledging that while some things are beyond our control (after all, even the "inhibited growth" test tubes in Faust's example experiment showed SOME growth), the mind is still a very powerful weapon in the fight against disease.

I guess my non-scientific take on it all goes something like this: a good attitude makes me less depressed, which makes me more likely to do my treatments regularly and also more determined to keep fighting this disease. Even without taking physics into account I can still see the benefits. And if thinking about and visualizing my body beating CF every day has positive benefits that go beyond just encouraging me to keep up with good habits, then all the better. It's not quantum physics, but it does sort of make sense to me.

That said, I think it's important to take time to acknowledge your fears and frustrations with CF, and to not let anyone tell you that doing so is somehow causing your symptoms. Sadness is a release, and it's one that can be very helpful in actually boosting your positive attitude in the long run, imho.

Okay, off my soapbox. Feel free to correct me if you think I have the wrong take on this Faust, but my general point is just that even if it's not a miracle cure, trying for positive thought is always going to have some benefits. At the same time, no one can be positive all the time, and we shouldn't beat ourselves up for that.

NYCLawGirl

Hi guys,

I have absolutely NO background in physics (I was an english major and went on to be a lawyer, lol...it's about as far from the sciences as you can get!), and although I did see the movie a long time ago when it first came out, I have to admit I don't remember too much about it that than the fact that it was pretty entertaining for a science movie. That said, I think this thread, and the original info posted by Faust is really interesting, esp. in light of the Secret and all the other stuff floating around in popular culture right now about the power of intention.

I think most of us would probably agree that positive thinking isn't going to cure CF, or most other diseases for that matter. I also totally understand where Saltyandsweet is coming from in that it can sometimes feel like those sorts of theories are placing blame for illness on the people who suffer from them, simplifying everything down to try and say that if we all just had a better attitude there would be no illness. Personally, I think that's phooey. I have known plenty of people with chronic illness who have amazing attitudes in the face of ridiculous challenges, and I also know plenty of "healthy" people who fall into a deep funk the second some tiny little thing goes wrong. That said, I don't think Faust or most other people who bring up this topic mean to insinuate that illness can be completely corrected by thoughts or that symptoms are the fault of the patient. I think it has more to do with just acknowledging that while some things are beyond our control (after all, even the "inhibited growth" test tubes in Faust's example experiment showed SOME growth), the mind is still a very powerful weapon in the fight against disease.

I guess my non-scientific take on it all goes something like this: a good attitude makes me less depressed, which makes me more likely to do my treatments regularly and also more determined to keep fighting this disease. Even without taking physics into account I can still see the benefits. And if thinking about and visualizing my body beating CF every day has positive benefits that go beyond just encouraging me to keep up with good habits, then all the better. It's not quantum physics, but it does sort of make sense to me.

That said, I think it's important to take time to acknowledge your fears and frustrations with CF, and to not let anyone tell you that doing so is somehow causing your symptoms. Sadness is a release, and it's one that can be very helpful in actually boosting your positive attitude in the long run, imho.

Okay, off my soapbox. Feel free to correct me if you think I have the wrong take on this Faust, but my general point is just that even if it's not a miracle cure, trying for positive thought is always going to have some benefits. At the same time, no one can be positive all the time, and we shouldn't beat ourselves up for that.

NYCLawGirl

Hi guys,

NYCLawGirl

Hi guys,

NYCLawGirl

Hi guys,
<br />
<br />I have absolutely NO background in physics (I was an english major and went on to be a lawyer, lol...it's about as far from the sciences as you can get!), and although I did see the movie a long time ago when it first came out, I have to admit I don't remember too much about it that than the fact that it was pretty entertaining for a science movie. That said, I think this thread, and the original info posted by Faust is really interesting, esp. in light of the Secret and all the other stuff floating around in popular culture right now about the power of intention.
<br />
<br />I think most of us would probably agree that positive thinking isn't going to cure CF, or most other diseases for that matter. I also totally understand where Saltyandsweet is coming from in that it can sometimes feel like those sorts of theories are placing blame for illness on the people who suffer from them, simplifying everything down to try and say that if we all just had a better attitude there would be no illness. Personally, I think that's phooey. I have known plenty of people with chronic illness who have amazing attitudes in the face of ridiculous challenges, and I also know plenty of "healthy" people who fall into a deep funk the second some tiny little thing goes wrong. That said, I don't think Faust or most other people who bring up this topic mean to insinuate that illness can be completely corrected by thoughts or that symptoms are the fault of the patient. I think it has more to do with just acknowledging that while some things are beyond our control (after all, even the "inhibited growth" test tubes in Faust's example experiment showed SOME growth), the mind is still a very powerful weapon in the fight against disease.
<br />
<br />I guess my non-scientific take on it all goes something like this: a good attitude makes me less depressed, which makes me more likely to do my treatments regularly and also more determined to keep fighting this disease. Even without taking physics into account I can still see the benefits. And if thinking about and visualizing my body beating CF every day has positive benefits that go beyond just encouraging me to keep up with good habits, then all the better. It's not quantum physics, but it does sort of make sense to me.
<br />
<br />That said, I think it's important to take time to acknowledge your fears and frustrations with CF, and to not let anyone tell you that doing so is somehow causing your symptoms. Sadness is a release, and it's one that can be very helpful in actually boosting your positive attitude in the long run, imho.
<br />
<br />Okay, off my soapbox. Feel free to correct me if you think I have the wrong take on this Faust, but my general point is just that even if it's not a miracle cure, trying for positive thought is always going to have some benefits. At the same time, no one can be positive all the time, and we shouldn't beat ourselves up for that.