Is there any Financial help?

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Our local CF clinic has a social worker, whose pretty much a waste of skin -- apparently CFers in our state are covered under Medical Assistance -- no matter what the income guidelines until age 3. Found this out from another CFer parent whose suing our clinic for that and a few other issues with their infant.

If your child is on Tobi or Pulmozyme, both of those drug companies have foundations in which they'll cover copays or cost of the drugs. Think Tobi Foundation covered anything over $25. With our scripts we have to pay $15 and 20% -- kind of a shock when the copay for a one month supply the start of the year is $536. Eek!

As mentioned, every state has an assistance program. A lot are income based, you could check with your local county social service organization.

Also, check some of the previous posts on financial assistance -- think Julie or Jazzy listed them. Just do a topic search for financial...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Our local CF clinic has a social worker, whose pretty much a waste of skin -- apparently CFers in our state are covered under Medical Assistance -- no matter what the income guidelines until age 3. Found this out from another CFer parent whose suing our clinic for that and a few other issues with their infant.

If your child is on Tobi or Pulmozyme, both of those drug companies have foundations in which they'll cover copays or cost of the drugs. Think Tobi Foundation covered anything over $25. With our scripts we have to pay $15 and 20% -- kind of a shock when the copay for a one month supply the start of the year is $536. Eek!

As mentioned, every state has an assistance program. A lot are income based, you could check with your local county social service organization.

Also, check some of the previous posts on financial assistance -- think Julie or Jazzy listed them. Just do a topic search for financial...

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

dbtoo

Since you have internet access, look up your state (assuming USA) online and search through their health agencies. CF is usually a disease which they cover during childhood, and amont of assistance would be related to income. You can search this site, there is lots of entries on SSI and such.

here's one for PA
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/CWP/view.asp?A=179&QUESTION_ID=232480&tx=1
">http://www.dsf.health.state.pa...ESTION_ID=232480&tx=1
</a>

dbtoo

Since you have internet access, look up your state (assuming USA) online and search through their health agencies. CF is usually a disease which they cover during childhood, and amont of assistance would be related to income. You can search this site, there is lots of entries on SSI and such.

here's one for PA
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/CWP/view.asp?A=179&QUESTION_ID=232480&tx=1
</a>

dbtoo

here's one for PA
</a>

dbtoo

here's one for PA
</a>

dbtoo

here's one for PA
</a>

dbtoo

here's one for PA
</a>

JazzysMom

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>leelumlm</b></i>

I have not spoken with anyone do I ask my doctor about speaking with a social worker. My son goes to a local doctor the is affliated with the CF center in the state. I guess I was nervous about bring this up to my doctor. I don't want anyone to think that i am looking for a hand out and that i am using my sons sickness as a reason.</end quote></div>

Although I understand your not wanting to seem like you are looking for hand outs, a good CF clinic knows how expensive CF is to maintain and will have the info and be willing to share it with you. They dont always know you need it so at times you have to ask.

JazzysMom

I have not spoken with anyone do I ask my doctor about speaking with a social worker. My son goes to a local doctor the is affliated with the CF center in the state. I guess I was nervous about bring this up to my doctor. I don't want anyone to think that i am looking for a hand out and that i am using my sons sickness as a reason.</end quote></div>

Although I understand your not wanting to seem like you are looking for hand outs, a good CF clinic knows how expensive CF is to maintain and will have the info and be willing to share it with you. They dont always know you need it so at times you have to ask.

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

I have not spoken with anyone do I ask my doctor about speaking with a social worker. My son goes to a local doctor the is affliated with the CF center in the state. I guess I was nervous about bring this up to my doctor. I don't want anyone to think that i am looking for a hand out and that i am using my sons sickness as a reason.</end quote>

JazzysMom

I have not spoken with anyone do I ask my doctor about speaking with a social worker. My son goes to a local doctor the is affliated with the CF center in the state. I guess I was nervous about bring this up to my doctor. I don't want anyone to think that i am looking for a hand out and that i am using my sons sickness as a reason.</end quote>

janddburke

A Social Worker associated with a CF Center can also be invaluable in helping you navigate your insurance to make sure you are getting all the coverage to which you are entitled.

janddburke

A Social Worker associated with a CF Center can also be invaluable in helping you navigate your insurance to make sure you are getting all the coverage to which you are entitled.

janddburke

janddburke