Just found out Pregnant

Alyssa

I've never been in your shoes, but I can understand what you must be going through -- I'm sure I would have similar feelings if it were me. Don't beat yourself up about not feeling happy quite yet about the pregnancy -- given the circumstances (planning for PDG) I think your reaction is perfectly normal and understandable. This will all take some time to process and work through. Posting here is very good therapy!

I do have two children, both with CF but we didn't even know they had CF until they were 14 and 18 years old! They are both pancreatic sufficient with mild lung involvement.

I also wanted to clarify, <u>in case </u>there was a misunderstanding because of <b>DEES4</b> statement about one in four. While, yes it worked out to being one in four of Dee's children, the actual stats when both parents are carriers is as follows:

EACH PREGNANCY has a one in four (or 25%) chance of having CF - the stats have nothing to do with how many children you have

And yes, Zoe you are correct the chances are in your favor of not having another child with CF. If I were in your shoes I'd get tested as soon as possible so you can find out either way.

Alyssa

I've never been in your shoes, but I can understand what you must be going through -- I'm sure I would have similar feelings if it were me. Don't beat yourself up about not feeling happy quite yet about the pregnancy -- given the circumstances (planning for PDG) I think your reaction is perfectly normal and understandable. This will all take some time to process and work through. Posting here is very good therapy!

I do have two children, both with CF but we didn't even know they had CF until they were 14 and 18 years old! They are both pancreatic sufficient with mild lung involvement.

I also wanted to clarify, <u>in case </u>there was a misunderstanding because of <b>DEES4</b> statement about one in four. While, yes it worked out to being one in four of Dee's children, the actual stats when both parents are carriers is as follows:

EACH PREGNANCY has a one in four (or 25%) chance of having CF - the stats have nothing to do with how many children you have

And yes, Zoe you are correct the chances are in your favor of not having another child with CF. If I were in your shoes I'd get tested as soon as possible so you can find out either way.

Alyssa

Alyssa

Alyssa

robert321

i have 3 siblings all without cf, we didn't find out about my cf till i was 14 so both my younger brothers were already around, my parents say that if they had known about cf my two younger brothers wouldn't be around (too bad huh? lol, i don't mean that). you're right that the odds are in your favor in the matter, but i would still find out as soon as you can so that when the baby is born you immediately can start treating it and get a jump on it if he/she has it. God has a way of taking care of these things and has a plan for everyone, with cf or not. This is something to think about but don't dwell on it, you don't know for sure either way. as i think the saying goes, "don't count your chickens before they hatch"

robert321

i have 3 siblings all without cf, we didn't find out about my cf till i was 14 so both my younger brothers were already around, my parents say that if they had known about cf my two younger brothers wouldn't be around (too bad huh? lol, i don't mean that). you're right that the odds are in your favor in the matter, but i would still find out as soon as you can so that when the baby is born you immediately can start treating it and get a jump on it if he/she has it. God has a way of taking care of these things and has a plan for everyone, with cf or not. This is something to think about but don't dwell on it, you don't know for sure either way. as i think the saying goes, "don't count your chickens before they hatch"

robert321

robert321

robert321

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Zoe, how wonderful to be pregnant with your second child. Congratulations to you!

I understand how you are feeling. We felt like you feel now, scared, guilty, sad. We found out that our second son also had CF when I was about 16 weeks pregnant. We had an amnio and had already decided the results wouldn't change our decision to have the baby, we just wanted to keep the diagnosis emotions separate from the birth emotions (if that makes sense).

It was a very difficult time for us, but knowing early allowed us to adjust to the news before the baby was born. It worked for us to know early.

Jane

Digital opinion leader
Zoe, how wonderful to be pregnant with your second child. Congratulations to you!

I understand how you are feeling. We felt like you feel now, scared, guilty, sad. We found out that our second son also had CF when I was about 16 weeks pregnant. We had an amnio and had already decided the results wouldn't change our decision to have the baby, we just wanted to keep the diagnosis emotions separate from the birth emotions (if that makes sense).

It was a very difficult time for us, but knowing early allowed us to adjust to the news before the baby was born. It worked for us to know early.

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

Jane

Digital opinion leader

mommy2cass

Congratulations on your pregnany! You should be excited either way!
We have our oldest child w/oCF and our youngest w/CF.
Cass was diagnosed at 3wks old with a sweat test.

mommy2cass

mommy2cass

mommy2cass

mommy2cass