MEETING WITH THE SCHOOL NURSE

Buckeye

You would think with a kindergartener they would let the teacher be responsible for them with all the snacking they do at that age. It would be a pain to have to run down to the office everytime the kiddo eats something. My son isn't on enzymes but when he was in full day kindergarden they ate a breakfast snack when they arrived at school, lunch and a snack in the afternoon. And then if it was kid's birthday they got an extra snack for that. With all the eating I wondered how they fit learning their ABC's in there.

Buckeye

You would think with a kindergartener they would let the teacher be responsible for them with all the snacking they do at that age. It would be a pain to have to run down to the office everytime the kiddo eats something. My son isn't on enzymes but when he was in full day kindergarden they ate a breakfast snack when they arrived at school, lunch and a snack in the afternoon. And then if it was kid's birthday they got an extra snack for that. With all the eating I wondered how they fit learning their ABC's in there.

Buckeye

Buckeye

Buckeye

Sakem

At a school my son use to attend, they did let the teachier keep them in her desk, but then they changed that, I think a liabilty issue was the concern. There are some school districts that let the kids carry their own enzymes, I think that is great if the child is old enough and responible, but my son has to go down to the nurses office at his school to get his enzymes. The only think I have requested is that he be allowed to leave a few minutes early for lunch so he can get his pills so that it does not cut into his luchtime, which is already short.

Sakem

At a school my son use to attend, they did let the teachier keep them in her desk, but then they changed that, I think a liabilty issue was the concern. There are some school districts that let the kids carry their own enzymes, I think that is great if the child is old enough and responible, but my son has to go down to the nurses office at his school to get his enzymes. The only think I have requested is that he be allowed to leave a few minutes early for lunch so he can get his pills so that it does not cut into his luchtime, which is already short.

Sakem

Sakem

Sakem

wanderlost

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Ratatosk</b></i>

DS doesn't start school (kindergarten) for a year and already I am sooooo absolutely nervous about the enzyme issue. School nurses in our district are part time -- school rules indicate all students must go to the school office and line up for their meds, which are kept in a locked cupboard in the office. Figure once things calm down here, we'll start making inquiries in preparation of next year.</end quote></div>

I think after kindergarten we just stopped telling the nurse and my mom just packed my enzymes in my lunch box (although I knw every year until 7th grade my mom did go in and tell my teachers about Cf) - I can't quite remember - I know my kindergarten teacher had them in her desk, but after that I never remember my teachers giving them to me...it made my life much easier, I'll say that - especially because as a kid (and even now) I tried to be very discreet about my CF.

wanderlost

DS doesn't start school (kindergarten) for a year and already I am sooooo absolutely nervous about the enzyme issue. School nurses in our district are part time -- school rules indicate all students must go to the school office and line up for their meds, which are kept in a locked cupboard in the office. Figure once things calm down here, we'll start making inquiries in preparation of next year.</end quote></div>

I think after kindergarten we just stopped telling the nurse and my mom just packed my enzymes in my lunch box (although I knw every year until 7th grade my mom did go in and tell my teachers about Cf) - I can't quite remember - I know my kindergarten teacher had them in her desk, but after that I never remember my teachers giving them to me...it made my life much easier, I'll say that - especially because as a kid (and even now) I tried to be very discreet about my CF.

wanderlost

wanderlost

DS doesn't start school (kindergarten) for a year and already I am sooooo absolutely nervous about the enzyme issue. School nurses in our district are part time -- school rules indicate all students must go to the school office and line up for their meds, which are kept in a locked cupboard in the office. Figure once things calm down here, we'll start making inquiries in preparation of next year.</end quote>

wanderlost

DS doesn't start school (kindergarten) for a year and already I am sooooo absolutely nervous about the enzyme issue. School nurses in our district are part time -- school rules indicate all students must go to the school office and line up for their meds, which are kept in a locked cupboard in the office. Figure once things calm down here, we'll start making inquiries in preparation of next year.</end quote>

Emily65Roses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Sakem</b></i>

At a school my son use to attend, they did let the teachier keep them in her desk, but then they changed that, I think a liabilty issue was the concern. There are some school districts that let the kids carry their own enzymes, I think that is great if the child is old enough and responible, but my son has to go down to the nurses office at his school to get his enzymes. The only think I have requested is that he be allowed to leave a few minutes early for lunch so he can get his pills so that it does not cut into his luchtime, which is already short.</end quote></div>

That's how I used to do it. I'd leave 5 minutes early (and when I was younger, it was always with my friend Casey), go to the nurse's office, take my meds, and then meet the other kids at lunch, not having missed any. It's important not to miss any. If I remember right, lunch times are like 20-30 minutes. They're ridiculously short, so CF kids need every minute possible to eat.

Emily65Roses

At a school my son use to attend, they did let the teachier keep them in her desk, but then they changed that, I think a liabilty issue was the concern. There are some school districts that let the kids carry their own enzymes, I think that is great if the child is old enough and responible, but my son has to go down to the nurses office at his school to get his enzymes. The only think I have requested is that he be allowed to leave a few minutes early for lunch so he can get his pills so that it does not cut into his luchtime, which is already short.</end quote></div>

That's how I used to do it. I'd leave 5 minutes early (and when I was younger, it was always with my friend Casey), go to the nurse's office, take my meds, and then meet the other kids at lunch, not having missed any. It's important not to miss any. If I remember right, lunch times are like 20-30 minutes. They're ridiculously short, so CF kids need every minute possible to eat.

Emily65Roses

Emily65Roses

At a school my son use to attend, they did let the teachier keep them in her desk, but then they changed that, I think a liabilty issue was the concern. There are some school districts that let the kids carry their own enzymes, I think that is great if the child is old enough and responible, but my son has to go down to the nurses office at his school to get his enzymes. The only think I have requested is that he be allowed to leave a few minutes early for lunch so he can get his pills so that it does not cut into his luchtime, which is already short.</end quote>

Emily65Roses

At a school my son use to attend, they did let the teachier keep them in her desk, but then they changed that, I think a liabilty issue was the concern. There are some school districts that let the kids carry their own enzymes, I think that is great if the child is old enough and responible, but my son has to go down to the nurses office at his school to get his enzymes. The only think I have requested is that he be allowed to leave a few minutes early for lunch so he can get his pills so that it does not cut into his luchtime, which is already short.</end quote>