"SIKO"

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

My husband and I saw "Sicko" a few days ago.

Some of Moore's findings are fascinating, yet some are simply ridiculous (i.e. commentary on Cuba being this generous country when it comes to healthcare even though there is NO freedom and there is TONS of poverty).

Moore is tantilized by socialized medicine and makes a point to share all of it's benefits as he states repeatedly, almost in shocking disbelief, that it is "free". Yet NOTHING is actually free. The $$ has to come from somewhere and yet he never details what people pay in taxes for this "free" health care.

I have nothing against Universal Healthcare, but if it were to work in America then we'd have to get rid of the Puritan work ethic because no one wants to work 80 hours a week and have their hard-earned $$ go to tourists/illegal aliens/alcoholics/homesless/drug abusers etc who get sick in the U.S. (and rack up a huge medical bill) and abuse the system. I don't mean to sound insensitive to those who really need it, but my husband does not need to get 1/2 the $$ taken out of his paycheck to support the medical needs of an alcoholic whose liver has failed.

But back to my point: No one really works 80 hours a week in Europe so they don't seem to mind giving up $$ from their paychecks (Moore asks people in France how many hours they work a week: answer was 35 hours with 5 paid weeks vacation.). Again, they're not Puritan by nature.

Universal Health care is great in theory, but America's ethics and values regarding work/lifestyle would have to change and I just don't see that happening (though I would like to for my 80 hour or rather 24/7 working husband!!!).

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

Some of Moore's findings are fascinating, yet some are simply ridiculous (i.e. commentary on Cuba being this generous country when it comes to healthcare even though there is NO freedom and there is TONS of poverty).

Moore is tantilized by socialized medicine and makes a point to share all of it's benefits as he states repeatedly, almost in shocking disbelief, that it is "free". Yet NOTHING is actually free. The $$ has to come from somewhere and yet he never details what people pay in taxes for this "free" health care.

I have nothing against Universal Healthcare, but if it were to work in America then we'd have to get rid of the Puritan work ethic because no one wants to work 80 hours a week and have their hard-earned $$ go to tourists/illegal aliens/alcoholics/homesless/drug abusers etc who get sick in the U.S. (and rack up a huge medical bill) and abuse the system. I don't mean to sound insensitive to those who really need it, but my husband does not need to get 1/2 the $$ taken out of his paycheck to support the medical needs of an alcoholic whose liver has failed.

But back to my point: No one really works 80 hours a week in Europe so they don't seem to mind giving up $$ from their paychecks (Moore asks people in France how many hours they work a week: answer was 35 hours with 5 paid weeks vacation.). Again, they're not Puritan by nature.

Universal Health care is great in theory, but America's ethics and values regarding work/lifestyle would have to change and I just don't see that happening (though I would like to for my 80 hour or rather 24/7 working husband!!!).

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

Oh, and Amy, hospitals CAN turn people away depending on their funding. If they are smaller and private they can kick you out if you don't have insurance. Big, city hospitals like the Mass General in Boston can't/won't which is kind/caring in theory, but their ER is a disaster and the medical care is stretched. Even the nurses have whispered to me that it smells like a barnyard.

Remember New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina? Tulane University Hospital was one of the 1st to be evacuated because they had rich, private patients. The city hospitals were left behind and many of the sick perished.

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

Oh, and Amy, hospitals CAN turn people away depending on their funding. If they are smaller and private they can kick you out if you don't have insurance. Big, city hospitals like the Mass General in Boston can't/won't which is kind/caring in theory, but their ER is a disaster and the medical care is stretched. Even the nurses have whispered to me that it smells like a barnyard.

Remember New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina? Tulane University Hospital was one of the 1st to be evacuated because they had rich, private patients. The city hospitals were left behind and many of the sick perished.

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

S

Shoshanna

"SIKO

NoExcuses

"SIKO

That's absolutely not true. Federal law prohibits ER's from turning away anyone. That's why our ER's are damn full in LA.... those who are here and breaking the law are treated just the same as those who are citizens.

Ever heard of Prop 187? Yup, in CA we tried to make a law for ER's not to have to take those who are breaking the law by being in this country illeagally. The supreme court of the United States shot it down.

Private hospitals generally don't have an ER, so of course you can't show up and expect care. The private hospitals control who comes in by not having an ER.

NoExcuses

"SIKO

That's absolutely not true. Federal law prohibits ER's from turning away anyone. That's why our ER's are damn full in LA.... those who are here and breaking the law are treated just the same as those who are citizens.

Ever heard of Prop 187? Yup, in CA we tried to make a law for ER's not to have to take those who are breaking the law by being in this country illeagally. The supreme court of the United States shot it down.

Private hospitals generally don't have an ER, so of course you can't show up and expect care. The private hospitals control who comes in by not having an ER.

NoExcuses

"SIKO

NoExcuses

"SIKO

NoExcuses

"SIKO

NoExcuses

"SIKO

JazzysMom

"SIKO

Private hospital generally have something called Urgent Care. Although they can tend to many needs, they cant address more critical problems and they are not required to provide care as an ER.

JazzysMom

"SIKO

Private hospital generally have something called Urgent Care. Although they can tend to many needs, they cant address more critical problems and they are not required to provide care as an ER.

JazzysMom

"SIKO

JazzysMom

"SIKO