Teacher 'outed' my daughter!

kybert

it may be uncomfortable but thats life. these hippa laws arent going to protect people outside the workforce/school so i say they need to grow some balls and deal with it if they want to get somewhere in this life.

kybert

it may be uncomfortable but thats life. these hippa laws arent going to protect people outside the workforce/school so i say they need to grow some balls and deal with it if they want to get somewhere in this life.

kybert

AnD

<b>Grow some sympathy/empathy </b>that everyone doesn't handle everything just like you, nor may they care to. If it wouldn't have bothered you- good for you; it bothered this CHILD and upset her mother. It was wrong, both legally and ethically, no matter if she minded or not. Yes, her mother has a right to be upset.

Good night.

AnD

<b>Grow some sympathy/empathy </b>that everyone doesn't handle everything just like you, nor may they care to. If it wouldn't have bothered you- good for you; it bothered this CHILD and upset her mother. It was wrong, both legally and ethically, no matter if she minded or not. Yes, her mother has a right to be upset.

Good night.

AnD

Good night.

janddburke

WOW what a response.
very interesting insights, even the ones I didn't really agree with. enought said.

We've always treated Jess's CF rather matter of factly. it wasn't until 1st grade that she realized not all her friends did therapy and had nebulizers. there were enough nebbie's in day care and kindergatern for her not to question until then.

during sleep overs her vest was fought over for her friends (12 friends at one particular sleep over) to try on.

the nebulizer was used down the shore to blow up beach toys and for balloon games on rainy days.

just matter of fact. this is what you do. as if it were brushing your teeth.

you wouldn't be embarrassed about brushing your teeth, right? move on.

all of a sudden at 12, she is very self conscious. so we follow her lead.

we didn't say anything to the teacher right away as was my intial impulse but waited about 2 months to talk during a parent conference.

I will however say something to the principal at the END of the school year. Not for me, but perhaps to save another child/parent the grief and worry.

Kids are resilient. most of it has blown over, but Jess says if she starts coughing or sneezing she does get the feeling that people pay particular attention.

this too will pass. Just wait until she gets her first pimple!!!!!!

janddburke

WOW what a response.
very interesting insights, even the ones I didn't really agree with. enought said.

We've always treated Jess's CF rather matter of factly. it wasn't until 1st grade that she realized not all her friends did therapy and had nebulizers. there were enough nebbie's in day care and kindergatern for her not to question until then.

during sleep overs her vest was fought over for her friends (12 friends at one particular sleep over) to try on.

the nebulizer was used down the shore to blow up beach toys and for balloon games on rainy days.

we didn't say anything to the teacher right away as was my intial impulse but waited about 2 months to talk during a parent conference.

I will however say something to the principal at the END of the school year. Not for me, but perhaps to save another child/parent the grief and worry.

Kids are resilient. most of it has blown over, but Jess says if she starts coughing or sneezing she does get the feeling that people pay particular attention.

janddburke

WOW what a response.

JazzysMom

OK MY view point. I went to a small schoool. Lived in a a small town so I never had the option of telling or not telling. I used CF as my platform for many school projects and never had reprocusions from it. I think its important for a CFer to "embrace" their illness since good/bad it is a part of them. THAT being said I also feel this was NOT the teachers place to say anything. Besides the HIPPA laws I feel that the CFer in quesiton should have been the one to address it....I am sure the teacher meant well, but it was still out of line. NOW we all have different views on how/when/where a CFers info should be revealed/handled. We also know that life doesnt always allow us full control of it thus the reason many of us think we should say something ourselves early on. Often times (such as this) the info is leaked and the CFer is more horrified. Either way the info is out and the teacher was in the wrong, but its a good time for your child to see how things could work in the future.

JazzysMom

OK MY view point. I went to a small schoool. Lived in a a small town so I never had the option of telling or not telling. I used CF as my platform for many school projects and never had reprocusions from it. I think its important for a CFer to "embrace" their illness since good/bad it is a part of them. THAT being said I also feel this was NOT the teachers place to say anything. Besides the HIPPA laws I feel that the CFer in quesiton should have been the one to address it....I am sure the teacher meant well, but it was still out of line. NOW we all have different views on how/when/where a CFers info should be revealed/handled. We also know that life doesnt always allow us full control of it thus the reason many of us think we should say something ourselves early on. Often times (such as this) the info is leaked and the CFer is more horrified. Either way the info is out and the teacher was in the wrong, but its a good time for your child to see how things could work in the future.

JazzysMom

LisaV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>
As for the secretive CF kid whose parent has been open, I think that's probably rare (at least more so). Most of the embarrassed kids are so because of the way their family treats it. And most of the open kids are so because of the way their family treats it. That has always been my experience anyway. For some cases, kids will be secretive no matter what, and that's not the parent's fault. I just wanted to make it clear that the more open you are about it, the more likely the kid is to accept it and not freak out about it.</end quote></div>

I have to agree with Em and others on this one - whether it is CF or another disease (like diabetes or hemaphilia). As a former teacher and parent it does seem that the kids I've encountered who were open, relaxed, and unashamed of their chronic illnesses were raised in families where the parents were too.

Nonetheless it was wrong of the teacher to "out" your daughter. But did she know that it was a "secret"? Had you told her to keep it a secret? I ask because since your daughter is a teenager and is hospitalized from time to time, I'm afraid that as a teacher I would assume (never should I know) that the kids all knew and that I might "out" inadvertantly by saying something like "she's in the hospital for a regular cleanout for her cystic fibrosis" - thinking that this had happened before and would happen again and was just sort of a "normal" hospitalization and therefore the kids could just give their "normal" support rather than thinking she was near death or something.

I live in a small town. There are no secrets here. There are just some things that are whispered about and some things that are discussed openly. Just me, but I'd rather have things discussed openly.

P.S. Being open can help teenagers be compliant too (I think) because they don't have to hide their treatments to "keep the secret"

LisaV

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>
As for the secretive CF kid whose parent has been open, I think that's probably rare (at least more so). Most of the embarrassed kids are so because of the way their family treats it. And most of the open kids are so because of the way their family treats it. That has always been my experience anyway. For some cases, kids will be secretive no matter what, and that's not the parent's fault. I just wanted to make it clear that the more open you are about it, the more likely the kid is to accept it and not freak out about it.</end quote></div>

I have to agree with Em and others on this one - whether it is CF or another disease (like diabetes or hemaphilia). As a former teacher and parent it does seem that the kids I've encountered who were open, relaxed, and unashamed of their chronic illnesses were raised in families where the parents were too.

Nonetheless it was wrong of the teacher to "out" your daughter. But did she know that it was a "secret"? Had you told her to keep it a secret? I ask because since your daughter is a teenager and is hospitalized from time to time, I'm afraid that as a teacher I would assume (never should I know) that the kids all knew and that I might "out" inadvertantly by saying something like "she's in the hospital for a regular cleanout for her cystic fibrosis" - thinking that this had happened before and would happen again and was just sort of a "normal" hospitalization and therefore the kids could just give their "normal" support rather than thinking she was near death or something.

I live in a small town. There are no secrets here. There are just some things that are whispered about and some things that are discussed openly. Just me, but I'd rather have things discussed openly.

P.S. Being open can help teenagers be compliant too (I think) because they don't have to hide their treatments to "keep the secret"