Tonights Private Practice episode - CF & B Cepacia

Jennie

I didn't like how they used the word "die"... "They will die if they are together in the same room".
As a CF'er I, and we, know the difference here... what B Cepatia does to our bodies. But the general public probley gets the idea that once you get BC its as fast as getting hit by a bus.

On another note... I'm proud that prime time tv shows are opening up to CF.

Jennie

I didn't like how they used the word "die"... "They will die if they are together in the same room".
As a CF'er I, and we, know the difference here... what B Cepatia does to our bodies. But the general public probley gets the idea that once you get BC its as fast as getting hit by a bus.

Jennie

Jennie

Jennie

NYCLawGirl

Okay, I definitely thought that was a bit far fetched. Of course, it's TV so I don't know what I expected, but stil.

Was the premise that two cystics married and had CF kids? I thought that was the case since the mother was dead (from CF?) and the father had CF. And the brother apparently did as well? This didn't sit well with me, I have to admit. I'm not passing any judgment on individuals and family choices here, but it seems unlikely to me that two cystics would marry and then pursue biological children. Maybe I'm wrong about that? Again, not trying to judge by any means, it just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

The second point I disliked was, as Jennie points out, when the doctor told the dad "if you're near her, you will die" about his child with cepacia. I can't imagine a doctor saying that. Cepacia is cruel and it's scary, sure, but it's not an immediate death sentence in every case by any means. Also, they seemed to be using cepacia and cepacia syndrome (the much more rare sudden decline that some individuals experience with cepacia) interchangeably, as though all cepacia cases meant automatic cepacia syndrome. Also very untrue.

I don't have cepacia so I don't know as much about it as I maybe should, but even I could tell that tonight's episode was misleading. And the entire cystic family thing still seems like a strange premise to me.

NYCLawGirl

Okay, I definitely thought that was a bit far fetched. Of course, it's TV so I don't know what I expected, but stil.

Was the premise that two cystics married and had CF kids? I thought that was the case since the mother was dead (from CF?) and the father had CF. And the brother apparently did as well? This didn't sit well with me, I have to admit. I'm not passing any judgment on individuals and family choices here, but it seems unlikely to me that two cystics would marry and then pursue biological children. Maybe I'm wrong about that? Again, not trying to judge by any means, it just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

The second point I disliked was, as Jennie points out, when the doctor told the dad "if you're near her, you will die" about his child with cepacia. I can't imagine a doctor saying that. Cepacia is cruel and it's scary, sure, but it's not an immediate death sentence in every case by any means. Also, they seemed to be using cepacia and cepacia syndrome (the much more rare sudden decline that some individuals experience with cepacia) interchangeably, as though all cepacia cases meant automatic cepacia syndrome. Also very untrue.

I don't have cepacia so I don't know as much about it as I maybe should, but even I could tell that tonight's episode was misleading. And the entire cystic family thing still seems like a strange premise to me.

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

NYCLawGirl

<br />
<br />Was the premise that two cystics married and had CF kids? I thought that was the case since the mother was dead (from CF?) and the father had CF. And the brother apparently did as well? This didn't sit well with me, I have to admit. I'm not passing any judgment on individuals and family choices here, but it seems unlikely to me that two cystics would marry and then pursue biological children. Maybe I'm wrong about that? Again, not trying to judge by any means, it just didn't make a lot of sense to me.
<br />
<br />The second point I disliked was, as Jennie points out, when the doctor told the dad "if you're near her, you will die" about his child with cepacia. I can't imagine a doctor saying that. Cepacia is cruel and it's scary, sure, but it's not an immediate death sentence in every case by any means. Also, they seemed to be using cepacia and cepacia syndrome (the much more rare sudden decline that some individuals experience with cepacia) interchangeably, as though all cepacia cases meant automatic cepacia syndrome. Also very untrue.
<br />
<br />I don't have cepacia so I don't know as much about it as I maybe should, but even I could tell that tonight's episode was misleading. And the entire cystic family thing still seems like a strange premise to me.

Z

zeeannie

I understand most of the inaccuracies in this program but for one thing. How would a family with more than person with CF and at least one with B Cepacia actually handle their situation? In the hospital, at home...? The show makes it seem like you'll be separated forever!

Z

zeeannie

I understand most of the inaccuracies in this program but for one thing. How would a family with more than person with CF and at least one with B Cepacia actually handle their situation? In the hospital, at home...? The show makes it seem like you'll be separated forever!

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie

Z

zeeannie