Treating Inflammation w/o anti-inflammatories

dramamama

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Spartan936</b></i>

1) Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but massage therapy has no effect on your sinuses or lungs. Any medical doctor would agree. It does make you feel good though. I've had a few of them, but I still prefer stretching and exercise.

2) Accupuncture and Accupressure are just relaxation techniques. Anyone who says they improve your health are uninformed.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html
">http://www.quackwatch.com/01Qu...elatedTopics/acu.html
</a>

3) Xolair is only for allergies. I doubt it would work any more than Zyrtec. Sinus irrigations (the waterpik) might help quite a bit though.

If you eat healthy whole foods, avoid most junk food and sugary food, exercise lots (cardio and weight bearing), and keep yourself infection free as possible... then you are already doing all you can to keep inflammation down. Although I would suggest looking into Glutathione, Omega-3, and a good multivitamin.</end quote></div>

hi Spartan-
I think you need to look into accupuncture and accupressure a little more. Studies show that they modulate immune response in a variety of conditions. I will post a lot of studies tomorrow.

Also, allergy is ALL about inflammation. Xolair has a huge anti-inflammatory effect. It is an IgE antibody...IgE is one of the chemicals responsible for hyper exaggerated Th2 immune response to allergens. As IgE is bound by the anti-body, the inflammatory response to allergens is completely haulted. Now, if your allergic response is IgE mediated (almost all are,) then you will have less inflammation with this drug. That is why it was initially used and studied on allergic asthma. It reduced inflammation in those studies. Now, we are seeing it used in CF for ABPA (to suppress allergic response in the lungs which leads to damage due to inflammation), also for drug allergies (allergic to antibiotics anyone)....small studies and anecdotal evidence show it is superb in treating "rush"drug desensitization. Those who experienced anaphylaxis pre xolair, did not have those symptoms when undergoing desensitization with xolair added.

Its use for ABPA inflammation was just studied at the Minnesota clinic. Children given xolair were able to stop steroids and had significant improvement....

Hope this helps.
m

dramamama

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Spartan936</b></i>

1) Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but massage therapy has no effect on your sinuses or lungs. Any medical doctor would agree. It does make you feel good though. I've had a few of them, but I still prefer stretching and exercise.

2) Accupuncture and Accupressure are just relaxation techniques. Anyone who says they improve your health are uninformed.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html
</a>

3) Xolair is only for allergies. I doubt it would work any more than Zyrtec. Sinus irrigations (the waterpik) might help quite a bit though.

If you eat healthy whole foods, avoid most junk food and sugary food, exercise lots (cardio and weight bearing), and keep yourself infection free as possible... then you are already doing all you can to keep inflammation down. Although I would suggest looking into Glutathione, Omega-3, and a good multivitamin.</end quote></div>

hi Spartan-
I think you need to look into accupuncture and accupressure a little more. Studies show that they modulate immune response in a variety of conditions. I will post a lot of studies tomorrow.

Also, allergy is ALL about inflammation. Xolair has a huge anti-inflammatory effect. It is an IgE antibody...IgE is one of the chemicals responsible for hyper exaggerated Th2 immune response to allergens. As IgE is bound by the anti-body, the inflammatory response to allergens is completely haulted. Now, if your allergic response is IgE mediated (almost all are,) then you will have less inflammation with this drug. That is why it was initially used and studied on allergic asthma. It reduced inflammation in those studies. Now, we are seeing it used in CF for ABPA (to suppress allergic response in the lungs which leads to damage due to inflammation), also for drug allergies (allergic to antibiotics anyone)....small studies and anecdotal evidence show it is superb in treating "rush"drug desensitization. Those who experienced anaphylaxis pre xolair, did not have those symptoms when undergoing desensitization with xolair added.

Its use for ABPA inflammation was just studied at the Minnesota clinic. Children given xolair were able to stop steroids and had significant improvement....

Hope this helps.
m

dramamama

</a>

hi Spartan-

Hope this helps.
m

dramamama

</a>

If you eat healthy whole foods, avoid most junk food and sugary food, exercise lots (cardio and weight bearing), and keep yourself infection free as possible... then you are already doing all you can to keep inflammation down. Although I would suggest looking into Glutathione, Omega-3, and a good multivitamin.</end quote>

hi Spartan-

Hope this helps.
m

dramamama

<br />
<br />1) Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but massage therapy has no effect on your sinuses or lungs. Any medical doctor would agree. It does make you feel good though. I've had a few of them, but I still prefer stretching and exercise.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />2) Accupuncture and Accupressure are just relaxation techniques. Anyone who says they improve your health are uninformed.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html
</a><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />3) Xolair is only for allergies. I doubt it would work any more than Zyrtec. Sinus irrigations (the waterpik) might help quite a bit though.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />If you eat healthy whole foods, avoid most junk food and sugary food, exercise lots (cardio and weight bearing), and keep yourself infection free as possible... then you are already doing all you can to keep inflammation down. Although I would suggest looking into Glutathione, Omega-3, and a good multivitamin.</end quote>
<br />
<br />hi Spartan-
<br />I think you need to look into accupuncture and accupressure a little more. Studies show that they modulate immune response in a variety of conditions. I will post a lot of studies tomorrow.
<br />
<br />Also, allergy is ALL about inflammation. Xolair has a huge anti-inflammatory effect. It is an IgE antibody...IgE is one of the chemicals responsible for hyper exaggerated Th2 immune response to allergens. As IgE is bound by the anti-body, the inflammatory response to allergens is completely haulted. Now, if your allergic response is IgE mediated (almost all are,) then you will have less inflammation with this drug. That is why it was initially used and studied on allergic asthma. It reduced inflammation in those studies. Now, we are seeing it used in CF for ABPA (to suppress allergic response in the lungs which leads to damage due to inflammation), also for drug allergies (allergic to antibiotics anyone)....small studies and anecdotal evidence show it is superb in treating "rush"drug desensitization. Those who experienced anaphylaxis pre xolair, did not have those symptoms when undergoing desensitization with xolair added.
<br />
<br />Its use for ABPA inflammation was just studied at the Minnesota clinic. Children given xolair were able to stop steroids and had significant improvement....
<br />
<br />Hope this helps.
<br />m
<br />

Diane

GSH ( Glutathione) is something that may benefit you. I have taken it orally for about 6 years now and it has helped me greatly. When you are on the proper dose for your weight it does a very effective job as anti-inflammatory. If you need more info on it pm me and i will send you links to read about it.

Diane

GSH ( Glutathione) is something that may benefit you. I have taken it orally for about 6 years now and it has helped me greatly. When you are on the proper dose for your weight it does a very effective job as anti-inflammatory. If you need more info on it pm me and i will send you links to read about it.

Diane

Diane

Diane

CaliSally

1) Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but massage therapy has no effect on your sinuses or lungs. Any medical doctor would agree. It does make you feel good though. I've had a few of them, but I still prefer stretching and exercise.</end quote></div>

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.

It's a given that Inflammation leaves less room in the airways for the junk to move. Anti-inflammatories open up the airways, making it easier for the junk to move.

Now, I have never believed in the hocus-pocus part of alternative medicine.

However, I HAVE first hand, experienced the effects of massage therapy on inflammation, or, in the fact that the muscles are looser and making room. Either way, I've always come out with a productive cough - moreso than even after a breathing treatment with vest. I'm actually coughing junk during the massage, and during the day after. I'm not exagerating to prove my point, it's a FACT, Jack.

CaliSally

1) Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but massage therapy has no effect on your sinuses or lungs. Any medical doctor would agree. It does make you feel good though. I've had a few of them, but I still prefer stretching and exercise.</end quote></div>

It's a given that Inflammation leaves less room in the airways for the junk to move. Anti-inflammatories open up the airways, making it easier for the junk to move.

However, I HAVE first hand, experienced the effects of massage therapy on inflammation, or, in the fact that the muscles are looser and making room. Either way, I've always come out with a productive cough - moreso than even after a breathing treatment with vest. I'm actually coughing junk during the massage, and during the day after. I'm not exagerating to prove my point, it's a FACT, Jack.

CaliSally

CaliSally

1) Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but massage therapy has no effect on your sinuses or lungs. Any medical doctor would agree. It does make you feel good though. I've had a few of them, but I still prefer stretching and exercise.</end quote>

CaliSally

<br />
<br />1) Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but massage therapy has no effect on your sinuses or lungs. Any medical doctor would agree. It does make you feel good though. I've had a few of them, but I still prefer stretching and exercise.</end quote>
<br />
<br />I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement.
<br />
<br />It's a given that Inflammation leaves less room in the airways for the junk to move. Anti-inflammatories open up the airways, making it easier for the junk to move.
<br />
<br />Now, I have never believed in the hocus-pocus part of alternative medicine.
<br />
<br />However, I HAVE first hand, experienced the effects of massage therapy on inflammation, or, in the fact that the muscles are looser and making room. Either way, I've always come out with a productive cough - moreso than even after a breathing treatment with vest. I'm actually coughing junk during the massage, and during the day after. I'm not exagerating to prove my point, it's a FACT, Jack.

CaliSally

<i><b>All great responses to treating allergy symptoms - but only two have come close to my original questions.</b></i>

-------------------------------------

On another note:
Amy - Paul is the one that switched me to the meds I'm on now for my allergies. I can't remember if I was on Allegra previously or not.

As far as treating my allergies, the bottom line here is: The Allergy Doc verses the CF Doc/team - they are contradicting one another on everything. Who do I believe?

I'm leaning towards the Allergy Doc only because this is her specialty. However I know that allergies are a huge part of cf and therefore the cf team would be/should be knowledgeable too.

<i><b>Contradictions:</b></i>
<i>Allergy Doc</i> - recommened zyrtec twice daily
<i>CF pharmacologist</i> - said studies have shown no effect in zyrtec twice daily.

<i>Allergy Doc</i> - said she believes I would do well on Xolair <u>even though</u> my ige's aren't that high, and since allergy shots could put me in overload considering my high testing responses on allergy test.
<i>CF Doc</i> - said no high ige, then no benefit

<i>Allergy Doc</i> - doesn't want me on allergy shots, she thinks it would be too much for my body.
<i>CF doc</i> - should be no problem.

I don't think the cf team is open to anything other than what they were taught, regardless of another doctors specialty.

CaliSally

<i><b>All great responses to treating allergy symptoms - but only two have come close to my original questions.</b></i>

On another note:
Amy - Paul is the one that switched me to the meds I'm on now for my allergies. I can't remember if I was on Allegra previously or not.

As far as treating my allergies, the bottom line here is: The Allergy Doc verses the CF Doc/team - they are contradicting one another on everything. Who do I believe?

I'm leaning towards the Allergy Doc only because this is her specialty. However I know that allergies are a huge part of cf and therefore the cf team would be/should be knowledgeable too.

<i>CF pharmacologist</i> - said studies have shown no effect in zyrtec twice daily.

<i>Allergy Doc</i> - said she believes I would do well on Xolair <u>even though</u> my ige's aren't that high, and since allergy shots could put me in overload considering my high testing responses on allergy test.

<i>Allergy Doc</i> - doesn't want me on allergy shots, she thinks it would be too much for my body.

I don't think the cf team is open to anything other than what they were taught, regardless of another doctors specialty.

CaliSally

On another note:

CaliSally

On another note:

CaliSally

<br />
<br />
<br />-------------------------------------
<br />
<br />On another note:
<br />Amy - Paul is the one that switched me to the meds I'm on now for my allergies. I can't remember if I was on Allegra previously or not.
<br />
<br />As far as treating my allergies, the bottom line here is: The Allergy Doc verses the CF Doc/team - they are contradicting one another on everything. Who do I believe?
<br />
<br />I'm leaning towards the Allergy Doc only because this is her specialty. However I know that allergies are a huge part of cf and therefore the cf team would be/should be knowledgeable too.
<br />
<br /><i><b>Contradictions:</b></i>
<br /><i>Allergy Doc</i> - recommened zyrtec twice daily
<br /><i>CF pharmacologist</i> - said studies have shown no effect in zyrtec twice daily.
<br />
<br /><i>Allergy Doc</i> - said she believes I would do well on Xolair <u>even though</u> my ige's aren't that high, and since allergy shots could put me in overload considering my high testing responses on allergy test.
<br /><i>CF Doc</i> - said no high ige, then no benefit
<br />
<br /><i>Allergy Doc</i> - doesn't want me on allergy shots, she thinks it would be too much for my body.
<br /><i>CF doc</i> - should be no problem.
<br />
<br />I don't think the cf team is open to anything other than what they were taught, regardless of another doctors specialty.