What do we say when asked about children

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>sakasuka</b></i>

When I am asked that, I explain that I don't wish to subject an innocent child to the ravages of Cystic Fibrosis. I am thinking about the child instead of myself.

When my mom is asked about grandchildren, she says the same.</end quote></div>

I could probably do that if DS wasn't around and I have said something to the affect that there's a one in four chance that any children we have would have CF. People just don't get it.

Lately what's really IRKED me is moronic comments to him "tell Mommy & Daddy you need a brother or sister". Sigh... I'm especially cranky about it today because we have a big family get together tomorrow and I'm anticipating comments.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

When I am asked that, I explain that I don't wish to subject an innocent child to the ravages of Cystic Fibrosis. I am thinking about the child instead of myself.

I could probably do that if DS wasn't around and I have said something to the affect that there's a one in four chance that any children we have would have CF. People just don't get it.

Lately what's really IRKED me is moronic comments to him "tell Mommy & Daddy you need a brother or sister". Sigh... I'm especially cranky about it today because we have a big family get together tomorrow and I'm anticipating comments.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

When my mom is asked about grandchildren, she says the same.</end quote>

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

When my mom is asked about grandchildren, she says the same.</end quote>

NoExcuses

Well you know, everyone's situation is different. People aren't psychic and don't know about CF unless you tell them.

Just calmly explain if someone asks why no more kids, or if they tell your kid to tell you mommy & daddy need a bro or sis, that CF is genetic.

I knew I had CF and I was aware of its consequences since I was 5. If my parents were to explain why no other kids at that age (I don't remember how old your kid is) it wouldn't have been a big dela.

It is what it is.

I think since we live with CF every day, we can't see how people don't know about/can't understand CF. It is our job, however difficult, to kindly and respectfully educate people. It's not their fault that they don't know.

Comments can't be moronic if they see you with a healthy kid and don't understand the ins and outs of CF. To them, it looks like a healthy kid, and hell, why not have another kid even if he will have CF. Looks healthy to them!

So education, as much of a burden as it is, is our responsibility.

I had to explain to my boss' boss the other day why I can't work full time and go to school part time. He's livid that I'm quitting and going to get my MBA. Well you know what? I can't hall of and call him a moron - the man doesn't even know the ins and outs of the disease. All he sees is an energetic woman who is the #1 saleswoman in the US. He doesn't see my 2x treatments - or the 9 hours of sleep i get a night - or how tired i get after being out and about for my 9 hour days.

It's my job to educate him - for better or for worse. I mad doesn't know though no fault of his own. I can't get upset with him for pressuring me to stay at my job.

But 99% of people, when you sweetly and calmly and matter-of-factly explain what the deal is - they'll get it and understand!

Education is the name of the game. Not avoiding the question. Not making up another answer.

Truth. You must be truthful.

NoExcuses

Well you know, everyone's situation is different. People aren't psychic and don't know about CF unless you tell them.

Just calmly explain if someone asks why no more kids, or if they tell your kid to tell you mommy & daddy need a bro or sis, that CF is genetic.

I knew I had CF and I was aware of its consequences since I was 5. If my parents were to explain why no other kids at that age (I don't remember how old your kid is) it wouldn't have been a big dela.

It is what it is.

I think since we live with CF every day, we can't see how people don't know about/can't understand CF. It is our job, however difficult, to kindly and respectfully educate people. It's not their fault that they don't know.

Comments can't be moronic if they see you with a healthy kid and don't understand the ins and outs of CF. To them, it looks like a healthy kid, and hell, why not have another kid even if he will have CF. Looks healthy to them!

I had to explain to my boss' boss the other day why I can't work full time and go to school part time. He's livid that I'm quitting and going to get my MBA. Well you know what? I can't hall of and call him a moron - the man doesn't even know the ins and outs of the disease. All he sees is an energetic woman who is the #1 saleswoman in the US. He doesn't see my 2x treatments - or the 9 hours of sleep i get a night - or how tired i get after being out and about for my 9 hour days.

It's my job to educate him - for better or for worse. I mad doesn't know though no fault of his own. I can't get upset with him for pressuring me to stay at my job.

But 99% of people, when you sweetly and calmly and matter-of-factly explain what the deal is - they'll get it and understand!

Education is the name of the game. Not avoiding the question. Not making up another answer.

NoExcuses

It is what it is.

NoExcuses

It is what it is.

NoExcuses

It is what it is.

NoExcuses

It is what it is.

Emily65Roses

While I don't enjoy that line of questioning either, I understand people mean well...

This, however:
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Lately what's really IRKED me is moronic comments to him "tell Mommy & Daddy you need a brother or sister". </end quote></div>
Is TOTALLY inappropriate. Just thought I'd say so.

Emily65Roses

While I don't enjoy that line of questioning either, I understand people mean well...

This, however:
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Lately what's really IRKED me is moronic comments to him "tell Mommy & Daddy you need a brother or sister". </end quote></div>

Emily65Roses

This, however:

Emily65Roses

This, however:

Emily65Roses

This, however:
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Lately what's really IRKED me is moronic comments to him "tell Mommy & Daddy you need a brother or sister". </end quote>

Emily65Roses

This, however:
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Lately what's really IRKED me is moronic comments to him "tell Mommy & Daddy you need a brother or sister". </end quote>

Debi

We used to tell people we were having so much fun practicing that we weren't ready to actually have a kid and cramp our style.

My next favorite thing was that after we adopted our daughter, within two weeks people were asking when we were going to have a second child!! Amazing how people assume your reproductive/adoption life is their business.

Debi

We used to tell people we were having so much fun practicing that we weren't ready to actually have a kid and cramp our style.

My next favorite thing was that after we adopted our daughter, within two weeks people were asking when we were going to have a second child!! Amazing how people assume your reproductive/adoption life is their business.