Who knows?

Diane

When i started at the job i am still at (19 years later) I was 24 and in great health for someone with cf so if i chose not to tell no-one would have known. Well i didnt tell my boss because i didnt forsee any reason to tell until i felt i had to. She is a Dr.( anesthesiologist) and her husband is also a Dr. ( surgical Pathologist). I never told her about my cf till about 2 years into the job because she and i got closer and became almost like friends . Plus i figured after being there for 2 years , she can see that even with cf i am very capable of doing my job. When i finally told her she was so surprised to hear it, but she mentioned she noticed the clubbing on my fingers and figured i had to have some sort of lung issues. Now if i was starting at the job today i could <u>not</u> get away with not telling because i have a pretty frequent cough sometimes. With cepacia i get sick more often and go on iv's a few times a year. How could i possibly explain THAT other than to be honest. I guess it all depends on your health ststus, if you are healthy enough to get away with not telling then you dont have to if thats what you choose, but if theres no way you can attempt to hide it then your best bet is honesty.
To everyone else who hears me cough a lot i just say i have asthma....enough said because everyone knows the jist about asthma....but if i said i have cf i have to go into a long detailed explaination about it to someone i will most likely never see again and i dont usually do that unless its someone i know will be part of my life in one form or another.

Diane

When i started at the job i am still at (19 years later) I was 24 and in great health for someone with cf so if i chose not to tell no-one would have known. Well i didnt tell my boss because i didnt forsee any reason to tell until i felt i had to. She is a Dr.( anesthesiologist) and her husband is also a Dr. ( surgical Pathologist). I never told her about my cf till about 2 years into the job because she and i got closer and became almost like friends . Plus i figured after being there for 2 years , she can see that even with cf i am very capable of doing my job. When i finally told her she was so surprised to hear it, but she mentioned she noticed the clubbing on my fingers and figured i had to have some sort of lung issues. Now if i was starting at the job today i could <u>not</u> get away with not telling because i have a pretty frequent cough sometimes. With cepacia i get sick more often and go on iv's a few times a year. How could i possibly explain THAT other than to be honest. I guess it all depends on your health ststus, if you are healthy enough to get away with not telling then you dont have to if thats what you choose, but if theres no way you can attempt to hide it then your best bet is honesty.
To everyone else who hears me cough a lot i just say i have asthma....enough said because everyone knows the jist about asthma....but if i said i have cf i have to go into a long detailed explaination about it to someone i will most likely never see again and i dont usually do that unless its someone i know will be part of my life in one form or another.

Diane

Diane

Diane

<br /> To everyone else who hears me cough a lot i just say i have asthma....enough said because everyone knows the jist about asthma....but if i said i have cf i have to go into a long detailed explaination about it to someone i will most likely never see again and i dont usually do that unless its someone i know will be part of my life in one form or another.

shamrock

Nobody. Although I hide it pretty well as I don't cough etc. One person knows although they're not in my dept and I would know said person outside of work but I don't know if they've ever mentioned it to anyone (we wouldn't be that close).

Interestingly, I found out a few weeks ago that my boss has had a transplant as I spotted the tablets...weird!

shamrock

Nobody. Although I hide it pretty well as I don't cough etc. One person knows although they're not in my dept and I would know said person outside of work but I don't know if they've ever mentioned it to anyone (we wouldn't be that close).

Interestingly, I found out a few weeks ago that my boss has had a transplant as I spotted the tablets...weird!

shamrock

shamrock

shamrock

<br />
<br />Interestingly, I found out a few weeks ago that my boss has had a transplant as I spotted the tablets...weird!