Diaper Rash worse for CF babies???

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Critic Aid is now made by coloplast. I've seen it at our local pharmacy. And yes, it was more expensive, but a little went a long way. When DS got the nasty red monkey butt from a really poopy diaper, this stuff cleared it up over night.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member
Critic Aid is now made by coloplast. I've seen it at our local pharmacy. And yes, it was more expensive, but a little went a long way. When DS got the nasty red monkey butt from a really poopy diaper, this stuff cleared it up over night.

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

Ratatosk

Administrator
Staff member

amber682

Hi, my daughter is almost 2 months old, we've been dealing with the same thing. CFers do seem to get worse diaper rashes, just due to all the poop, and diahrrea will really cause some problems.

It seems like he's having very frequent stools, my daughter goes maybe 5 or 6 times a day, maybe 8 or 9 before we increased her enzymes. So see about starting enzymes or upping them if needed.

My ped suggested hydrocortisone. When it gets really bad I apply hydrocortisone, clotrimazole (for yeast), and desitin. Desitin has the highest % of zinc oxide, like 40% or something crazy, where as other creams have around 12%. Once they get sores, they can develop secondary bacterial or fungal infections, so thats why I use the clotrimazole. And hydrocortisone sparingly because it can thin the skin. I use all 3 at once, if there's no rash I use just the desitin.

Let as much air to it as possible. Pat dry after using a wet wipe before applying cream. After the bath when they're all bundled in a warm towel, leave the diaper off for a while.

I'ce been doing this and haven't had a rash in weeks. If it gets too bad, call the ped, it could be a secondary bacterial infection in any open sores, and may need a topical antibiotic.

Good luck!

amber682

Hi, my daughter is almost 2 months old, we've been dealing with the same thing. CFers do seem to get worse diaper rashes, just due to all the poop, and diahrrea will really cause some problems.

It seems like he's having very frequent stools, my daughter goes maybe 5 or 6 times a day, maybe 8 or 9 before we increased her enzymes. So see about starting enzymes or upping them if needed.

My ped suggested hydrocortisone. When it gets really bad I apply hydrocortisone, clotrimazole (for yeast), and desitin. Desitin has the highest % of zinc oxide, like 40% or something crazy, where as other creams have around 12%. Once they get sores, they can develop secondary bacterial or fungal infections, so thats why I use the clotrimazole. And hydrocortisone sparingly because it can thin the skin. I use all 3 at once, if there's no rash I use just the desitin.

Let as much air to it as possible. Pat dry after using a wet wipe before applying cream. After the bath when they're all bundled in a warm towel, leave the diaper off for a while.

I'ce been doing this and haven't had a rash in weeks. If it gets too bad, call the ped, it could be a secondary bacterial infection in any open sores, and may need a topical antibiotic.

Good luck!

amber682

Good luck!

amber682

Good luck!

amber682

<br />
<br />It seems like he's having very frequent stools, my daughter goes maybe 5 or 6 times a day, maybe 8 or 9 before we increased her enzymes. So see about starting enzymes or upping them if needed.
<br />
<br />My ped suggested hydrocortisone. When it gets really bad I apply hydrocortisone, clotrimazole (for yeast), and desitin. Desitin has the highest % of zinc oxide, like 40% or something crazy, where as other creams have around 12%. Once they get sores, they can develop secondary bacterial or fungal infections, so thats why I use the clotrimazole. And hydrocortisone sparingly because it can thin the skin. I use all 3 at once, if there's no rash I use just the desitin.
<br />
<br />Let as much air to it as possible. Pat dry after using a wet wipe before applying cream. After the bath when they're all bundled in a warm towel, leave the diaper off for a while.
<br />
<br />I'ce been doing this and haven't had a rash in weeks. If it gets too bad, call the ped, it could be a secondary bacterial infection in any open sores, and may need a topical antibiotic.
<br />
<br />Good luck!

M

Mommy2Zeke

We got triple paste yesterday and his rash looks fantastically better today. Thanks for all the input from everyone. We've also been leaving his diaper off for about an hour at a time and I think it's working.

M

Mommy2Zeke

We got triple paste yesterday and his rash looks fantastically better today. Thanks for all the input from everyone. We've also been leaving his diaper off for about an hour at a time and I think it's working.

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

M

Mommy2Zeke

julieann1966

Hi, he is gorgeous, congratulations !

We had a diaper rash issue too with our CF baby, it was actually the CF centre that recommended an ointment..it turned out to be one that the Hospital Pharmacy makes on site, I don't know the ingredients but they were certainly aware of a great mixture that worked like a charm, plus "airing" out her little bottom too helped. I would honestly suggest calling your CF clinic to see if they have a concoction that they recommend. Also avoid using baby wipes, we use an all natural/organic baby wash called Little Twig that is wonderful and never dried out her skin and when her bum was really bad, just plain water and lots of diaper changes.

Good luck with your beautiful little boy.

julieann1966

We had a diaper rash issue too with our CF baby, it was actually the CF centre that recommended an ointment..it turned out to be one that the Hospital Pharmacy makes on site, I don't know the ingredients but they were certainly aware of a great mixture that worked like a charm, plus "airing" out her little bottom too helped. I would honestly suggest calling your CF clinic to see if they have a concoction that they recommend. Also avoid using baby wipes, we use an all natural/organic baby wash called Little Twig that is wonderful and never dried out her skin and when her bum was really bad, just plain water and lots of diaper changes.

julieann1966

julieann1966

julieann1966

<br />
<br />We had a diaper rash issue too with our CF baby, it was actually the CF centre that recommended an ointment..it turned out to be one that the Hospital Pharmacy makes on site, I don't know the ingredients but they were certainly aware of a great mixture that worked like a charm, plus "airing" out her little bottom too helped. I would honestly suggest calling your CF clinic to see if they have a concoction that they recommend. Also avoid using baby wipes, we use an all natural/organic baby wash called Little Twig that is wonderful and never dried out her skin and when her bum was really bad, just plain water and lots of diaper changes.
<br />
<br />Good luck with your beautiful little boy.