Okay I Can't Stand This.

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>

I didn't say I would or wouldn't be okay with death once it comes.

my ambition is to die at HOME, not in some crappy unfamiliar hospital.</end quote>

Those two statements seem like a contradiction to me, but whatever.

Mockingbird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Emily65Roses</b></i>

I didn't say I would or wouldn't be okay with death once it comes.

my ambition is to die at HOME, not in some crappy unfamiliar hospital.</end quote>

Those two statements seem like a contradiction to me, but whatever.

lightNlife

Poopie. I had a REALLY great response and it didn't load for some reason. *sigh*

Here's the short version:

CF or not, people should do a better job of communicating their end of life wishes to their families. In my opinion, that's the only way to die with dignity. Some things to discuss with loved ones include:

-cremation or burial?
-hospital or hospice?
-life support or pain management only?
-who gets to make the decisions?

For the things I cannot control (such as if I were to go into cardiac arrest) my husband speaks for me. My medical chart has a DNR order on it.
These are things that my family and I have discussed at all stages of life. Not only does my spouse know my wishes, but so do my parents. I also know their wishes in case something were to happen to them. Discussing death does not need to be a gloomy or macabre thing. You don't even have to plan the details of your funeral or memorial service if you don't want to.

As I said in another post, when my body is done fighting I will go peacefully. I have loved and been loved. I know that my eternity is secure because of my faith. For me dying with dignity means NO TRANSPLANTS. Why die twice of the same disease? It also means that I will not take my own life. Suicide is a very selfish and cowardly way to go.

lightNlife

Poopie. I had a REALLY great response and it didn't load for some reason. *sigh*

CF or not, people should do a better job of communicating their end of life wishes to their families. In my opinion, that's the only way to die with dignity. Some things to discuss with loved ones include:

-cremation or burial?
-hospital or hospice?

For the things I cannot control (such as if I were to go into cardiac arrest) my husband speaks for me. My medical chart has a DNR order on it.
These are things that my family and I have discussed at all stages of life. Not only does my spouse know my wishes, but so do my parents. I also know their wishes in case something were to happen to them. Discussing death does not need to be a gloomy or macabre thing. You don't even have to plan the details of your funeral or memorial service if you don't want to.

As I said in another post, when my body is done fighting I will go peacefully. I have loved and been loved. I know that my eternity is secure because of my faith. For me dying with dignity means NO TRANSPLANTS. Why die twice of the same disease? It also means that I will not take my own life. Suicide is a very selfish and cowardly way to go.

lightNlife

-cremation or burial?
-hospital or hospice?

lightNlife

-cremation or burial?
-hospital or hospice?

lightNlife

-cremation or burial?
-hospital or hospice?

lightNlife

-cremation or burial?
-hospital or hospice?

littledebbie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mockingbird</b></i>

I'm hearing a lot of, but I'm wondering how many of you have actually sat down to calculate the cost to see if you'll actually be able to carry it out. Will you be ready to leave your families? Will you be ready to forsake your hopes and dreams? Wanting to die because of pain is not the same as being ready to die. The one who wants to die cares only for death, for they no longer count anything worth living for; but the one who is ready to die is also at the same time ready to keep living. "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake." Philippians 1:21-24</end quote></div>

I agree with a lot you wrote- but- I would like to say I don't think there's a lot of "cavalier attitudes about death" in this thread. And I think a lot of people here have actaully given it considerbale thought as to leaving friends and family. As to forsaking hopes and dreams.... for most of us once we're so sick that this becomes a reality any hopes and dreams still left undone are pretty welll forsaken at that point anyway. Nor do I think we were discussing wanting to die. I believe we were/are firmly discussing being ready to die (as opposed to WANTING) and having the freedom to share that "readyness" with our loved ones without them going into a frenzy of "never say die" on us.

littledebbie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Mockingbird</b></i>

I'm hearing a lot of, but I'm wondering how many of you have actually sat down to calculate the cost to see if you'll actually be able to carry it out. Will you be ready to leave your families? Will you be ready to forsake your hopes and dreams? Wanting to die because of pain is not the same as being ready to die. The one who wants to die cares only for death, for they no longer count anything worth living for; but the one who is ready to die is also at the same time ready to keep living. "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake." Philippians 1:21-24</end quote></div>

I agree with a lot you wrote- but- I would like to say I don't think there's a lot of "cavalier attitudes about death" in this thread. And I think a lot of people here have actaully given it considerbale thought as to leaving friends and family. As to forsaking hopes and dreams.... for most of us once we're so sick that this becomes a reality any hopes and dreams still left undone are pretty welll forsaken at that point anyway. Nor do I think we were discussing wanting to die. I believe we were/are firmly discussing being ready to die (as opposed to WANTING) and having the freedom to share that "readyness" with our loved ones without them going into a frenzy of "never say die" on us.

littledebbie

littledebbie

littledebbie

I'm hearing a lot of, but I'm wondering how many of you have actually sat down to calculate the cost to see if you'll actually be able to carry it out. Will you be ready to leave your families? Will you be ready to forsake your hopes and dreams? Wanting to die because of pain is not the same as being ready to die. The one who wants to die cares only for death, for they no longer count anything worth living for; but the one who is ready to die is also at the same time ready to keep living. "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake." Philippians 1:21-24</end quote>

littledebbie

I'm hearing a lot of, but I'm wondering how many of you have actually sat down to calculate the cost to see if you'll actually be able to carry it out. Will you be ready to leave your families? Will you be ready to forsake your hopes and dreams? Wanting to die because of pain is not the same as being ready to die. The one who wants to die cares only for death, for they no longer count anything worth living for; but the one who is ready to die is also at the same time ready to keep living. "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake." Philippians 1:21-24</end quote>