Prednisone

TwistedTanya

I would think you wouldn't want to be on it right before transplant b/c it weakens your immune system but if you have time then a short course could be beneficial. You don't want to take it long term b/c you could end up getting even sicker due to the lowered immune system. It will help with inflamation but there are a LOT of bad side effects from prednisone too. Everyone is different but I know I always get high blood sugar when I'm on it and have to take insulin. I have a love hate relationship with prednisone. I would suggest to try to find an alternative to help you feel better before going the prednisone route. Also, as mentioned above, I had horrible pain in my legs when doing both prednisone and cipro for a while but, sounds like you won't have to worry about that. Good luck and hope you feel better!

TwistedTanya

I would think you wouldn't want to be on it right before transplant b/c it weakens your immune system but if you have time then a short course could be beneficial. You don't want to take it long term b/c you could end up getting even sicker due to the lowered immune system. It will help with inflamation but there are a LOT of bad side effects from prednisone too. Everyone is different but I know I always get high blood sugar when I'm on it and have to take insulin. I have a love hate relationship with prednisone. I would suggest to try to find an alternative to help you feel better before going the prednisone route. Also, as mentioned above, I had horrible pain in my legs when doing both prednisone and cipro for a while but, sounds like you won't have to worry about that. Good luck and hope you feel better!

TwistedTanya

TwistedTanya

TwistedTanya

jamie6girl

I've been on it for almost a year now. I love it. I notice a difference when I'm NOT on it. I can't exercise as long and I get tired easily.

SIDE EFFECTS:<br><br>
1) It does make you a bit irritable and things that don't normally annoy you will annoy you.. and things that normally get on your nerves will DRIVE YOU BONKERS!!
<br><br>
2) It makes you super hungry! Which is good for me, because it helps me keep my weight up. Before, I didn't have much of an appetite at all and I felt like I was wasting away. But this helps me eat!<br><br>
3) If you decide to go off of it, you have to ween yourself off. If you just stop, you will get major joint aches and get really tender in your arms and legs. I didn't know that, and didn't refill my prescription on time, and I was in major pain those few days. I finally realized what was up and I looked up online.. Sure enough, that's what happened. Called my dr and he said to hurry up and get back on it!<br><br>
4. I do have to take a lot of take Calcium, D, and Magnesium every day. <br><br>
Hope this helps! Good luck!

I do

jamie6girl

I've been on it for almost a year now. I love it. I notice a difference when I'm NOT on it. I can't exercise as long and I get tired easily.

1) It does make you a bit irritable and things that don't normally annoy you will annoy you.. and things that normally get on your nerves will DRIVE YOU BONKERS!!
<br><br>
2) It makes you super hungry! Which is good for me, because it helps me keep my weight up. Before, I didn't have much of an appetite at all and I felt like I was wasting away. But this helps me eat!<br><br>
3) If you decide to go off of it, you have to ween yourself off. If you just stop, you will get major joint aches and get really tender in your arms and legs. I didn't know that, and didn't refill my prescription on time, and I was in major pain those few days. I finally realized what was up and I looked up online.. Sure enough, that's what happened. Called my dr and he said to hurry up and get back on it!<br><br>
4. I do have to take a lot of take Calcium, D, and Magnesium every day. <br><br>

I do

jamie6girl

<br><br>

I do

jamie6girl

<br><br>

I do

jamie6girl

<BR><BR>
<br><br>

I do

catboogie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jbrandonAW</b></i>

W#2 - Do NOT take pred with cipro unless its a must. There was a big thing about how cipro can cause muscle/tenden tears and its exaserbated with the use of anabolic steriods.</i> </end quote></div>

Prednisone is a corticosteroid, not an anabolic steroid lol.

Anyway, Hermit, I am in a situation similar to yours. I have experienced a big downturn over the last year or so. I'm not to the point of needing a transplant, but I'm not far away either.

Over the past year, I have been on Prednisone in combination with antibiotic therapy for exacerbations. It seemed to help; I have a serious asthma component to my CF. Most recently, I did about 6 weeks worth of antibiotics over the course of a few months, adding in Prednisone periodically, but I wasn't ever able to get my lung functions back up to what they were before I got sick.

Now I am at the point of trying different things to try to get back, and my doctor and I have decided on doing a low dose of Predinsone for 2-3 months to see if that helps. I am doing 10 mg one day and 20 mg the next - my doctor said there is some evidenct that staggering the dosage like this is easier on your bones and immune system.

I do have CFRD, so I've had to take extra care that my sugars don't get high. Other than that, I don't notice side effects with this small of a dose. (Except coming off it, even weening off I get bad body aches.) I had been taking 40 mg when I was also on antibiotics, and I noticed more side effects then, like the eating more, the restlessness, disturbing sleep, higher blood sugars, etc. I did not want to put up with all that over an extended period, so I'm hoping this regimen will work for me.

Welcome back to the site!

catboogie

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>jbrandonAW</b></i>

W#2 - Do NOT take pred with cipro unless its a must. There was a big thing about how cipro can cause muscle/tenden tears and its exaserbated with the use of anabolic steriods.</i> </end quote></div>

Anyway, Hermit, I am in a situation similar to yours. I have experienced a big downturn over the last year or so. I'm not to the point of needing a transplant, but I'm not far away either.

Over the past year, I have been on Prednisone in combination with antibiotic therapy for exacerbations. It seemed to help; I have a serious asthma component to my CF. Most recently, I did about 6 weeks worth of antibiotics over the course of a few months, adding in Prednisone periodically, but I wasn't ever able to get my lung functions back up to what they were before I got sick.

Now I am at the point of trying different things to try to get back, and my doctor and I have decided on doing a low dose of Predinsone for 2-3 months to see if that helps. I am doing 10 mg one day and 20 mg the next - my doctor said there is some evidenct that staggering the dosage like this is easier on your bones and immune system.

I do have CFRD, so I've had to take extra care that my sugars don't get high. Other than that, I don't notice side effects with this small of a dose. (Except coming off it, even weening off I get bad body aches.) I had been taking 40 mg when I was also on antibiotics, and I noticed more side effects then, like the eating more, the restlessness, disturbing sleep, higher blood sugars, etc. I did not want to put up with all that over an extended period, so I'm hoping this regimen will work for me.

catboogie

catboogie

W#2 - Do NOT take pred with cipro unless its a must. There was a big thing about how cipro can cause muscle/tenden tears and its exaserbated with the use of anabolic steriods.</i> </end quote>

catboogie

<br />
<br />W#2 - Do NOT take pred with cipro unless its a must. There was a big thing about how cipro can cause muscle/tenden tears and its exaserbated with the use of anabolic steriods.</i> </end quote>
<br />
<br />Prednisone is a corticosteroid, not an anabolic steroid lol.
<br />
<br />Anyway, Hermit, I am in a situation similar to yours. I have experienced a big downturn over the last year or so. I'm not to the point of needing a transplant, but I'm not far away either.
<br />
<br />Over the past year, I have been on Prednisone in combination with antibiotic therapy for exacerbations. It seemed to help; I have a serious asthma component to my CF. Most recently, I did about 6 weeks worth of antibiotics over the course of a few months, adding in Prednisone periodically, but I wasn't ever able to get my lung functions back up to what they were before I got sick.
<br />
<br />Now I am at the point of trying different things to try to get back, and my doctor and I have decided on doing a low dose of Predinsone for 2-3 months to see if that helps. I am doing 10 mg one day and 20 mg the next - my doctor said there is some evidenct that staggering the dosage like this is easier on your bones and immune system.
<br />
<br />I do have CFRD, so I've had to take extra care that my sugars don't get high. Other than that, I don't notice side effects with this small of a dose. (Except coming off it, even weening off I get bad body aches.) I had been taking 40 mg when I was also on antibiotics, and I noticed more side effects then, like the eating more, the restlessness, disturbing sleep, higher blood sugars, etc. I did not want to put up with all that over an extended period, so I'm hoping this regimen will work for me.
<br />
<br />Welcome back to the site!
<br />
<br />

Hermit

OK, thanks so much for all of your replies! I think I'm going to ask my doctor to try me on some, as I really need extra strength and energy right now if I'm going to get fitter for transplant. I think it'll help...if I have to be on it for the rest of my life anyway I don't know how a few extra weeks or months would make a difference, unless it affects the surgery somehow?

Maybe my center doesn't allow it or something. I'm going to ask though, thanks!

Hermit

OK, thanks so much for all of your replies! I think I'm going to ask my doctor to try me on some, as I really need extra strength and energy right now if I'm going to get fitter for transplant. I think it'll help...if I have to be on it for the rest of my life anyway I don't know how a few extra weeks or months would make a difference, unless it affects the surgery somehow?

Hermit

Hermit

Hermit

<br />
<br />Maybe my center doesn't allow it or something. I'm going to ask though, thanks!