Smoking Marijuana as a CF Patient

Scarlett81

No its not hearsay saying weed is bad for lungs, its common sense. Anyone that thinks otherwise has been brainwashed by propaganda. And we're not talking about cancer causing-we're talking about the affect on the lungs.
Cfboy, I don't think we should even honor your comments by getting bent out of shape-if anyone wants to take life or death health advice from someone who speaks like you-then you deserve to get lung damage from smoking!!

Common sense people.

Scarlett81

No its not hearsay saying weed is bad for lungs, its common sense. Anyone that thinks otherwise has been brainwashed by propaganda. And we're not talking about cancer causing-we're talking about the affect on the lungs.
Cfboy, I don't think we should even honor your comments by getting bent out of shape-if anyone wants to take life or death health advice from someone who speaks like you-then you deserve to get lung damage from smoking!!

Common sense people.

Scarlett81

Common sense people.

kayleesgrandma

Ok, I was going to stay out of this, as I do not have CF, but.... I was smoking pot before most of you were born, and we all knew that it was good stuff when we coughed our guts out! I still have the ol' bong, though it is now retired. How anyone can say that the smoke is good for your cf lungs, obviously needs to apply for the commercial "THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS!" There is always a study to support you way of thinking, if you look hard enough. But come on people--this is why God gave you COMMON SENSE! Take it from the generation that invented MJ Brownies--eat it--don't smoke it if you have cf. Or, as Chris put it--you'll be in the basement with the rest of them!

kayleesgrandma

Ok, I was going to stay out of this, as I do not have CF, but.... I was smoking pot before most of you were born, and we all knew that it was good stuff when we coughed our guts out! I still have the ol' bong, though it is now retired. How anyone can say that the smoke is good for your cf lungs, obviously needs to apply for the commercial "THIS IS YOUR BRAIN ON DRUGS!" There is always a study to support you way of thinking, if you look hard enough. But come on people--this is why God gave you COMMON SENSE! Take it from the generation that invented MJ Brownies--eat it--don't smoke it if you have cf. Or, as Chris put it--you'll be in the basement with the rest of them!

kayleesgrandma

Allie

Even those of who aren't anti-pot (Me, Liz, Terri, Emily etc) You won't find ONE among us who would suggest you smoke it. That should tell you something. Terri's right, do brownies, or not at all.

Allie

Even those of who aren't anti-pot (Me, Liz, Terri, Emily etc) You won't find ONE among us who would suggest you smoke it. That should tell you something. Terri's right, do brownies, or not at all.

Allie

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Scarlett81</b></i>

My personal viewpoint, if a cfer willingly knowingly smokes anything-when they come out with a cure, you better get in the back of the line. The rest of us have worked and slaved too hard to keep healthy.
</end quote></div>

well said!

NoExcuses

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>Scarlett81</b></i>

My personal viewpoint, if a cfer willingly knowingly smokes anything-when they come out with a cure, you better get in the back of the line. The rest of us have worked and slaved too hard to keep healthy.
</end quote></div>

well said!

NoExcuses

</end quote></div>

well said!

Ender

. There's conspiracy theorists that claim all type of crap that its harmless, or helps you gain weight and that justifies it.

Wish you the best.</end quote></div>

So people that claim wine is good for the heart are conspiracy theorists for the use of alcohol? That's ridiculous...marijuana does have proven medical benefits, and doctors DO prescribe it's use for certain conditions. That has to tell you something. When was the last time you saw your doctor prescribing you alcohol.

I guess the bottom line is the smoke in general and not the effects of the marijuana. Yes it probably is harmful for your lungs...but you know what else is harmful...not doing cpt...not eating right..etc. We all know we should do it, but how many of us skip treatments...knowing that it isn't good for them. What's the difference? I didn't do a nebulizer for the first 20 years of my life...does that mean i don't deserve the same treatment as someone who does?

In all honesty...I think a lot of people inaction here based on alternative treatments is worse then smoking weed. Do the research. We know we are deficient in fatty acids, gsh, minerals, amino acids...yet how many of us supplement with these. We KNOW it can be beneficial...yet a lot of us don't do it, potentialy harming our health. And how do we know it IS that bad for a cfer. Is there any published tests on it? Bleh, whatever..

Ender

. There's conspiracy theorists that claim all type of crap that its harmless, or helps you gain weight and that justifies it.

So people that claim wine is good for the heart are conspiracy theorists for the use of alcohol? That's ridiculous...marijuana does have proven medical benefits, and doctors DO prescribe it's use for certain conditions. That has to tell you something. When was the last time you saw your doctor prescribing you alcohol.

I guess the bottom line is the smoke in general and not the effects of the marijuana. Yes it probably is harmful for your lungs...but you know what else is harmful...not doing cpt...not eating right..etc. We all know we should do it, but how many of us skip treatments...knowing that it isn't good for them. What's the difference? I didn't do a nebulizer for the first 20 years of my life...does that mean i don't deserve the same treatment as someone who does?

In all honesty...I think a lot of people inaction here based on alternative treatments is worse then smoking weed. Do the research. We know we are deficient in fatty acids, gsh, minerals, amino acids...yet how many of us supplement with these. We KNOW it can be beneficial...yet a lot of us don't do it, potentialy harming our health. And how do we know it IS that bad for a cfer. Is there any published tests on it? Bleh, whatever..

Ender

Ender

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>amy</b></i>

</end quote></div>

sure....and same goes for people that don't do nebulizers, cpt, or any other treatments. I guess we should give the cure to only %100 compliant people...which is very few of us...

Here read this:

<b>We assessed unprescribed psychoactive drug use in 173 adults with cystic fibrosis. Twenty (11%) regularly smoked tobacco</b>. Cigarette smoking ranged from 1 to 30 years (2 to 60 pack-years). <b>Alcohol was used by 60%, and marijuana by 20% of the patients</b>. Pulmonary symptoms were often increased the day after alcohol ingestion. Alcohol occasionally caused nausea, vomiting, and headache if the patient was taking some cephalosporin derivatives (such as cefsulodine) or chloramphenicol. <b>Marijuana often aggravated chronic pulmonary symptoms, although some patients reported transient relief during use. Comparison with a retrospectively selected control group did not show faster short-term pulmonary deterioration in the tobacco smokers</b>. Physicians who deal with cystic fibrosis and other chronic illnesses should be cognizant of interactions of unprescribed and prescribed drugs. Recreational use of unprescribed psychoactive drugs should be considered if unexpected symptoms occur in older patients

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=3497251&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum">http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/en...=4&itool=pubmed_docsum</a>

Ender

</end quote></div>

sure....and same goes for people that don't do nebulizers, cpt, or any other treatments. I guess we should give the cure to only %100 compliant people...which is very few of us...

Here read this:

<b>We assessed unprescribed psychoactive drug use in 173 adults with cystic fibrosis. Twenty (11%) regularly smoked tobacco</b>. Cigarette smoking ranged from 1 to 30 years (2 to 60 pack-years). <b>Alcohol was used by 60%, and marijuana by 20% of the patients</b>. Pulmonary symptoms were often increased the day after alcohol ingestion. Alcohol occasionally caused nausea, vomiting, and headache if the patient was taking some cephalosporin derivatives (such as cefsulodine) or chloramphenicol. <b>Marijuana often aggravated chronic pulmonary symptoms, although some patients reported transient relief during use. Comparison with a retrospectively selected control group did not show faster short-term pulmonary deterioration in the tobacco smokers</b>. Physicians who deal with cystic fibrosis and other chronic illnesses should be cognizant of interactions of unprescribed and prescribed drugs. Recreational use of unprescribed psychoactive drugs should be considered if unexpected symptoms occur in older patients

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=3497251&query_hl=4&itool=pubmed_docsum">http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/en...=4&itool=pubmed_docsum</a>

Ender

</end quote></div>

Here read this:

Scarlett81

Were you trying to support your argument by posting that article, b/c I didn't get that it said pot was unharmful....No one here has claimed that you do it once and bam, you'll lose your lung function overnight. Its over time, which the study you showed says nothing about, so it really doesn't pertain. To be clear-a cfer smokes one cigarette, they won't die. Its doing it again and again we're talking about. And no one here is talking about eating pot, we're talking about strictly inhaling smoke of any kind being dangerous. I'm not an advocate of saying go eat a brownie, but yeah I'd rather someone did that than smoked it.

And saying that b/c lots of people don't do their treatments or aren't compliant justifies using pot-thats a ridiculous argument. It sounds kindergarten-ish.

Anyone that has more questions about this, I'd say ask your doctor or a nurse if you want a professional opinion. Or do some unbiased research, perhaps in medical encyclopedias. Just know what you're doing. I prefer researching things in books at the library or acredited online sources only-there's alot of crap on the internet. Sites seem reliable and trustworthy and they print whatever they want b/c there's less restrictions on what you can print on an internet site.

Scarlett81

Were you trying to support your argument by posting that article, b/c I didn't get that it said pot was unharmful....No one here has claimed that you do it once and bam, you'll lose your lung function overnight. Its over time, which the study you showed says nothing about, so it really doesn't pertain. To be clear-a cfer smokes one cigarette, they won't die. Its doing it again and again we're talking about. And no one here is talking about eating pot, we're talking about strictly inhaling smoke of any kind being dangerous. I'm not an advocate of saying go eat a brownie, but yeah I'd rather someone did that than smoked it.

And saying that b/c lots of people don't do their treatments or aren't compliant justifies using pot-thats a ridiculous argument. It sounds kindergarten-ish.

Anyone that has more questions about this, I'd say ask your doctor or a nurse if you want a professional opinion. Or do some unbiased research, perhaps in medical encyclopedias. Just know what you're doing. I prefer researching things in books at the library or acredited online sources only-there's alot of crap on the internet. Sites seem reliable and trustworthy and they print whatever they want b/c there's less restrictions on what you can print on an internet site.